Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Separate masonry and construction?  (Read 871 times)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Separate masonry and construction?
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:46:29 pm »

Can we please separate the masonry and construction skill? I often want a lot of people building walls but only a few people building masonry objects, and its a lot of work to individually tailor each masonry workshop to disallow dabbling/novices.....and can we somehow allow wheelbarrows for constructions?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Separate masonry and construction?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:52:39 pm »

All you have to do is stop masonry on your shops for a few minutes. Unless you're constantly making a megaproject, or paving the entire surface, it shouldn't take long. Also, how many masons do you have at once?

Number two is already planned I believe.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:04 am »

Number two is already planned I believe.

With dwarves able to hang on to tools between jobs, I honestly expect it by 0.40.20.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 03:46:12 am »

All you have to do is stop masonry on your shops for a few minutes. Unless you're constantly making a megaproject, or paving the entire surface, it shouldn't take long. Also, how many masons do you have at once?
You just gave two reasons right in your post why the OP is a good idea. It doesn't really matter how many masons HE is using right this minute. Because regardless, hundreds of other people are building megaprojects or paving the entire surface, etc. anyway, and would appreciate this mightily.

In general, the same goes for every other skill -- construction is always unskilled and therefore doesn't make sense to need to have a skill turned on that doesn't even matter for doing it. It should thus be separated out as a job permission of its own for any and all materials, with all crafting skills separate. So construction workers also build wooden walls, not carpenters, construction workers build iron walls, not smiths or whatever, etc. etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »

or maybe make architecture take priority over the walls. Or have architecture for designing, and then construction to build it. Architecture will count for the hit points of the wall (once siege engines and things are added) and construction will be how fast it is built, and maybe vary the hit points slightly. Make wooden walls and floors and things need construction as well too.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:57:36 pm »

Can we please separate the masonry and construction skill? I often want a lot of people building walls but only a few people building masonry objects, and its a lot of work to individually tailor each masonry workshop to disallow dabbling/novices.....and can we somehow allow wheelbarrows for constructions?

Omg yes.  I feel the pain.  Having your legendary mason go out and play bricklayer instead of the expendables, only to be that ony guy who finds an ambush.

The problem is, for me, that the mason goes outside, not that crappy plebs make my coffins.  I can fix that with to some degree with a manager anyway.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!