Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What time period of Human History do you think Dwarf Fortress represents?  (Read 3672 times)

MedicInDisquise

• Bay Watcher
  • Disappointment Incarnate
    • View Profile

I say late middle ages with a mix of Roman Mythology due to the fact that most people can't read, have trouble getting Food and Drin (especially in Dwarf Mode) and Gods still roam the plane.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

For everyone else, early middle ages. For dwarves, late middle ages. All with a greek pantheon mixed in, because unlike in rome, nobody cares which god you're worshipping.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toady One has set the technology level (that he wants to do) for DF to the 15th century, so late middle ages, maybe pushing it a little into the Early Renaiisance during the 16th century. That's just vanilla DF though, modders can do whatever tech level they want.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Humans and Goblins: Anachronistic classical.
Dorfs: Late medievalish.
Elfs: Whenever the hell people regularly ran around eating each other and stabbing each other with sharpened twigs.
Kobolds: Modern Europe.

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile

Early dark ages/end of Roman dominion
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Humans and Goblins: Anachronistic classical.
Dorfs: Late medievalish.
Elfs: Whenever the hell people regularly ran around eating each other and stabbing each other with sharpened twigs.

Why would kobolds be modern Europe?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Many of my best friends are kobolds.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Is "Lord of the Rings" a valid answer?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile

I feel like im in /pol/ again.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What time period of Human History do you think Dwarf Fortress represents?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:07 pm »

I feel like im in /pol/ again.
I took it more as kobold fandom than as an aspersion on modern Europe
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39:33 pm »

It kind of feels like a timeline where Epirus kicked Rome's ass and the technological progress of the Hellenistic period was never lost. Dwarves are Greek, I guess?
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »

The Pre-Decadorfian.

The clearest sign of this is that Dwarves have no problem with engraving leeches and that elves do not use laminate armor.
Also, humans like names such as ''The pregnant hill'' and every sentinent being is consumed by the inevitability of the world, which was very inevitable in these times.
Trust me, I am an history expert, especially on the Magnadecadorfian history section.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 05:12:54 am »

It is obviously set in the distant future after the very world is shaken to its foundation by The Event (being which: the release of DF 1.0)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 01:50:11 am »

The Pre-Decadorfian.

The clearest sign of this is that Dwarves have no problem with engraving leeches and that elves do not use laminate armor.
Also, humans like names such as ''The pregnant hill'' and every sentinent being is consumed by the inevitability of the world, which was very inevitable in these times.
Trust me, I am an history expert, especially on the Magmadecadorfian history section.
Ftfy
Pages: [1] 2