Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod Boulder Volume?  (Read 1269 times)

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod Boulder Volume?
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:55:54 am »

I like keeping my fortress tidy, so as the miners carve everything out, I tend to designate the stones for quantum stockpiling (Dump all stones into a single tile).
However I've noticed that it takes a dwarf like for EVER to move a stone from point A to point B.
Is this a bug? Looking on the Wiki I saw that it says something to the effect of "Weight = density * volume" bla bla something like that. Then I saw it said that mined stone volume is like 10,000 good grief.

I looked at the stone template but saw nothing of volume. Is it possible to mod the volume, or will I have to mod the density to like 1? (Even that would probably still be less than ideal).
99 little bugs in the code. 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
117 bugs in the code.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Mod Boulder Volume?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:29 am »

I looked at the stone template but saw nothing of volume.
That's because volume is a property of the item itself, and the "stone template" only describes the material.

If you want to make boulders weigh less, you'll either have to decrease their density (which will have other side effects) or write a DFHack plugin to reduce their volume (from the value of 10000 listed on the wiki to something smaller).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:08:58 am »

write a DFHack plugin to reduce their volume (from the value of 10000 listed on the wiki to something smaller).

I don't even know where to begin with that. Do you mean I would actually have to code one in C++ or C?
117 bugs in the code.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:21:17 am »

write a DFHack plugin to reduce their volume (from the value of 10000 listed on the wiki to something smaller).

I don't even know where to begin with that. Do you mean I would actually have to code one in C++ or C?
Almost everything you can accomplish in DFHack can be done with scripts written in lua or ruby.  You can make a plugin of compiled C++ which would run a lot faster, but for a one-time change when a world is loaded, there's no need for speed.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:12:53 pm »

Changing the volume for an item type can only be done with a C++ plugin, because it requires overriding a virtual method. Doing such a thing with a Lua or Ruby script is currently impossible.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:36:33 pm »

Changing the volume for an item type can only be done with a C++ plugin, because it requires overriding a virtual method. Doing such a thing with a Lua or Ruby script is currently impossible.
Gaaaah. I did say almost everything.

But I'm surprised that modifying an attribute like volume requires overriding a method.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 07:06:33 pm »

You can do it the easy way and just reduce their density, like Quietust also mentioned. It makes them lighter.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:47:26 pm »

Stone fall traps will be particularly useless after. If you rely on them, and make stone lighter, find a new trap.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:14 am »

Stone fall traps will be particularly useless after. If you rely on them, and make stone lighter, find a new trap.

A squad of Goblins has finally fought their way into the entrance of the fort.
Squadleader: Watch out for traps.  Dwarves are sneaky bastards with those.
*Fooosh*
Lasher: Did you hear something?
A huge stone block falls onto the lasher's head and bounces off gingerly with a soft *boink* noise.
Squadleader: Oh, it's just stone.  Charge!
The Goblins run headlong into a phalanx of large serrated discs.
Just got back, updating:

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 09:55:55 am »

Yeah this wouldn't be an issue. I generally rely on cage traps. Snap up a goblin in a trap, strip him of all his everything, use him for training exercises for my military.
117 bugs in the code.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:01:37 am »

Why don't you use 1 or 2 stockpiles with a full set of wheelbarrows, and a minecart to quantum stockpile, instead of manually dumping?  Stones aren't particularly slow to haul when they're in wheelbarrows.

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:11:02 am »

Yeah I noticed that. It was pretty sweet. There are some new features to which I am still becoming accustomed like wheelbarrows and minecarts. (Haven't done anything with those yet, that should be really fun).
117 bugs in the code.