Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Mod Boulder Volume?

(1/3) > >>

Geoclasm:
I like keeping my fortress tidy, so as the miners carve everything out, I tend to designate the stones for quantum stockpiling (Dump all stones into a single tile).
However I've noticed that it takes a dwarf like for EVER to move a stone from point A to point B.
Is this a bug? Looking on the Wiki I saw that it says something to the effect of "Weight = density * volume" bla bla something like that. Then I saw it said that mined stone volume is like 10,000 good grief.

I looked at the stone template but saw nothing of volume. Is it possible to mod the volume, or will I have to mod the density to like 1? (Even that would probably still be less than ideal).

Quietust:

--- Quote from: Geoclasm on October 20, 2014, 09:55:54 am ---I looked at the stone template but saw nothing of volume.

--- End quote ---
That's because volume is a property of the item itself, and the "stone template" only describes the material.

If you want to make boulders weigh less, you'll either have to decrease their density (which will have other side effects) or write a DFHack plugin to reduce their volume (from the value of 10000 listed on the wiki to something smaller).

Geoclasm:

--- Quote from: Quietust on October 20, 2014, 10:51:29 am ---
--- Quote from: Geoclasm on October 20, 2014, 09:55:54 am ---I looked at the stone template but saw nothing of volume.

--- End quote ---
write a DFHack plugin to reduce their volume (from the value of 10000 listed on the wiki to something smaller).

--- End quote ---

I don't even know where to begin with that. Do you mean I would actually have to code one in C++ or C?

Dirst:

--- Quote from: Geoclasm on October 20, 2014, 11:08:58 am ---
--- Quote from: Quietust on October 20, 2014, 10:51:29 am ---

--- End quote ---
write a DFHack plugin to reduce their volume (from the value of 10000 listed on the wiki to something smaller).

--- End quote ---

I don't even know where to begin with that. Do you mean I would actually have to code one in C++ or C?

--- End quote ---
Almost everything you can accomplish in DFHack can be done with scripts written in lua or ruby.  You can make a plugin of compiled C++ which would run a lot faster, but for a one-time change when a world is loaded, there's no need for speed.

Quietust:
Changing the volume for an item type can only be done with a C++ plugin, because it requires overriding a virtual method. Doing such a thing with a Lua or Ruby script is currently impossible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version