Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suspend Designation  (Read 715 times)

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suspend Designation
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »

Sometimes you want your miners or engravers to stop working somewhere so they can quickly deal with that one tile you need dug or carved out right away, for your magma, or something like that.
The only problem is that to do that, you'd have to either mess with or completely remove designations that you may have spent a lot of time laying out.

I use QuickFort and PaintFort to try and work around this, but for the core vanilla experience my suggestion is to have the option to [ d ]esignate an area to be [ S ]uspended so that any other designation in the area gets frozen, to later be [ R ]esumed once everything is in order.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Suspend Designation
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:17 pm »

I really like this idea.  I tend to just not designate the one-tile doorways in my layout so that I can release things piecemeal, but this would be a better solution.

Your way could also designate "persistent" tree-cutting and plant-gathering areas by suspending/resuming the whole area.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

cybergon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suspend Designation
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »

I really like this idea.  I tend to just not designate the one-tile doorways in my layout so that I can release things piecemeal, but this would be a better solution.

Same here, when it comes to rooms it's easier to control the flow of the mining, but sometimes you can end up releasing the hounds on more open and complicated designs, like pretty grand halls with mist generators, only to realize shortly after that your newly appointed noble is gonna have to throw tantrums in a smaller room for now.

Your way could also designate "persistent" tree-cutting and plant-gathering areas by suspending/resuming the whole area.

Yeah I think I've read something about this somewhere, Today is supposedly going to implement tree cutting zones or rewrite the whole zones code, can't remember.
If that's true we wouldn't have to worry about expanding the scope of this idea in that direction. If not then, yeah, what you said.