Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarves should eat/drink about 10x more at a time  (Read 15217 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves should eat/drink about 10x more at a time
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2015, 06:11:12 pm »

Why would this make the game slower? Personally I find my game gets a lot slower when I have 2000 plump helmets lagging it.

This is less "nerf farming" as "make the current system of massive food production into something that resembles farming".
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:16:35 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2015, 06:14:26 pm »

Why would this make the game slower? Personally I find my game gets a lot slower when I have 2000 plump helmets lagging it.
No metabolisms are too fast in adventure mode and too slow in fortress mode.  In 34.xx there was less food available so it wasn't so noticeable, but in this new version even forts without farms and plagued by zombies have sufficient food.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2015, 06:16:25 pm »

I have 20 bee colonies going eight years into the game. Guess what? This is my main drink source. The entire fort is drinking mead. It actually took time for this industry to get going. All farming should take a while.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:20:22 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 06:17:26 pm »

Another thing; fields should have to be ploughed before the seeds are planted. A good use for the initial pack animals, and for those that migrants bring along.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2015, 07:35:29 pm »

I agree with food production being far too easy.
The fix for this is a fairly big overhaul, and making dwarves eat more is only part of it.

Food preservation
Ground fertility
The calendar
The amount of food gained from a particular source can be tweaked in addition to this.

100% agree that an overhaul is a good idea, but meanwhile the food consumption rate can be tweaked really easily (by comparison at least) and would go a long way to restoring a semblance of sanity to food production. Baby steps.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2015, 07:41:19 pm »

Another thing; fields should have to be ploughed before the seeds are planted. A good use for the initial pack animals, and for those that migrants bring along.
They kind of are, during construction. At least that's how I interpret the animation of the field being constructed.
._.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2015, 07:44:52 pm »

I think drink is better than food.  Drinks have to be worked to maintain.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2015, 10:23:28 am »

Ploughing needs to happen before every planting and should be helped by tame pack animals.

I still got flooded with dwarven wine from plump helmet. Non fruit based alcohol should require water to brew, and brewing plump helmet or ither mushrooms should require some sugar added, since it makes booze harder to mass produce from sources that should not produce it easily (mushrooms do not contain much brewable sugar, so some should have to be added).

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 09:45:37 pm »

FYI, canning does not require metal, just a container that's airtight and can withstand heating while sealed.  The first ones were thick glass jars stoppered with cork sealed over with wax.  It's still outside the timeframe (1810), but "cans" don't need to be metal.

Do we want to allow nearly any preservation to work on nearly any food (allowing salted strawberries and dried intestines and so on), or have a small handful of tags in the food (likely reaction classes) that govern what works on what?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 07:12:02 am »

Reaction classes would be good. Dried intestine is fine. Salted strawberry is not; it should be made into preserve and stored in jars.

For old times' sake.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2015, 11:04:51 am »

They preserve other fruits with salt, notably plums, but also other types:

http://archive.azcentral.com/food/articles/20130402how-to-preserve-citrus-fruits-salt.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:06:22 am by Reelya »

Gargomaxthalus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2015, 02:02:04 pm »

This is certainly an important topic and it's good to see that it's getting so much attention, a few things though.

1. I haven't seen anyone mention the planned cavern dwarves. They need to be kept in mind in any cavern level discussions.

2. We would benefit greatly from a greater level of automation. The old suggestion of giving a room a function and  having the dwarves take care of it from there, moving in the necessary tools and furniture, should be factored into this sort of discussion. The less work the player has to do at the ground level the better. I personally quite like how Gnomoria handles these things and a more complex form of that would be great for DF.

3.I again need to say how much I detest how time is handled in DF. I much prefer Gnomoria's time scaling which gives you more time to work with and the Gnomes also get a lot more done in the available time.   
Well lets see... at least half of what I say is complete bullshit. Hell the other half tends to be pretty sketchy...

OOOOHHHH,JUST SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AND MAYBE I'LL GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

javascript:void(0)
javascript:void(0)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »

They preserve other fruits with salt, notably plums, but also other types:

http://archive.azcentral.com/food/articles/20130402how-to-preserve-citrus-fruits-salt.html

Those are citrus fruits, not strawberries, but it certainly gives the chance for dwarves to enjoy some kinds of salted fruit.

For old times' sake.

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2015, 04:34:14 pm »

Cavern dwarves... automation... time...

Canning and salting for food preservation...

Ploughing needs to happen before every planting and should be helped by tame pack animals.

All great ideas for some future rewrite, but off topic for this particular thread... the argument here is that upping food/booze quantities consumed would (a) improve the game's food balance drastically and (b) be pretty easy to implement, especially now that multi-hauling is supported.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2015, 07:21:43 pm »

Yeah, with multi hauling, they could carry a fish, a fruit, a plant, a meat, a cheese, a prepared meal, and a unit of drink. Half the time it takes for a dwarf to get thirsty in fortress mode. Keep hunger the same, but require more to eat. Done.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7