Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Dwarves should eat/drink about 10x more at a time  (Read 15207 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves should eat/drink about 10x more at a time
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2015, 04:03:29 pm »

I feel like this idea would need to also have a few things:

-individual food values, so a dwarf doesn't get the same amount of nutrition from eating a steak as eating a strawberry

-prepared food should not make a larger stack, but be counted as having more nutrition, for example, eating an apple vs an apple pie, sure you could get full eating six or so apples, but you would be more likely to fill your belly after one pie (which might also last longer without spoiling if that get implemented, or perhaps slightly spoiled food could be boiled up or something to make it edible again)

-stuff that is "easy" to grow like cave plants (which don't require light) should not have as much value, so if you want to keep a reasonable amount of food around you have to build your farms above ground where they might be at risk or keep alternative, often riskier, food industries around to keep the larder filled

-Things that can't normally be eaten raw can be eaten raw in a crisis, but it will result in the eater getting sick and either working worse or vomiting up their bellies and getting hungry again (maybe have a "strong stomach" trait that makes them less susceptible to the effects of bad food)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2015, 02:59:16 am »

Wait.
First you complain that there wouldn't be enough food and no easy way to obtain it, so I pointed out that caravans seem to work well.
Now you complain that caravans would bring too much food without being asked.
Which is it?
That you might not survive long enough to even see the first caravan. The caravan's stock could be more or less the same, but for the weight difference. It's a separate issue.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2015, 11:39:21 am »

caravans bring too much food, I agre.
  Especially raw food.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »

-prepared food should not make a larger stack, but be counted as having more nutrition, for example, eating an apple vs an apple pie, sure you could get full eating six or so apples, but you would be more likely to fill your belly after one pie (which might also last longer without spoiling if that get implemented, or perhaps slightly spoiled food could be boiled up or something to make it edible again)

I like this. I assume a significant feature of such a system would be that dwarves take into account the food value when they decide what to eat.
  • I think the thoughts from eating should be strengthened, and in particular we would need a negative thought from eating low value foods in order to encourage a lot of kitchen use.
  • I would increase the overall value a little on processing, and I would increase the bonus with rising quality. Probably you could multiply the bonus according to the usual schedule: multiply the gross food value would, I think, be serious overkill. (The valuation system is overkill on quality already, and I think taking a value-added approach would help a lot with this.)
  • A nice addition to this would be a flag for distinguishing food inputs which can be eaten as they are (e.g., fruit, cheese) from those which aren't really edible (e.g., raw meat, flour). Then if processing in a kitchen removes all "inedible" flags, it significantly boosts the apparent value of food which contains those ingredients. The effect would be that dwarves were dissuaded from taking inedibles to eat, and players were provided yet more reason to get food pushed through the kitchens.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2015, 11:30:01 am »

A nice addition to this would be a flag for distinguishing food inputs which can be eaten as they are (e.g., fruit, cheese) from those which aren't really edible (e.g., raw meat, flour). Then if processing in a kitchen removes all "inedible" flags, it significantly boosts the apparent value of food which contains those ingredients. The effect would be that dwarves were dissuaded from taking inedibles to eat, and players were provided yet more reason to get food pushed through the kitchens.
This is already there; sweet pods and cave wheat are inedible, as is cave wheat flour, but all can be cooked. Milk and most oils are this way also. Meat is probably considered edible only because adventurers don't have a way to cook it. But I'd love something that dissuades my dorfs from grabbing plump helmets from the farm stockpile on their way to the dining hall with its =cow cheese roast= stockpile!

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »

This is already there; sweet pods and cave wheat are inedible, as is cave wheat flour, but all can be cooked. Milk and most oils are this way also. Meat is probably considered edible only because adventurers don't have a way to cook it. But I'd love something that dissuades my dorfs from grabbing plump helmets from the farm stockpile on their way to the dining hall with its =cow cheese roast= stockpile!
Ah... I reveal myself as a player who doesn't use flour or oils very much! :) Or, indeed, who doesn't watch plant stockpiles closely. Maybe you just need to edit the RAWs for plump helmets? ;)

My view is that stopping dwarves absolutely from eating anything not toxic is "unrealistic" (whatever that means in a fantasy game): the better approach is to allow them to do it but to provide reasons to choose an alternative. For the sake of "realism", I want dwarves with a hankering for a plump helmet to raid the brewer's larder for a snack; and I want dwarves whose only alternative is starvation to decide that a mouthful of flour is a better option. But if they're just looking for something to fill their stomachs, they really should prefer those tasty-looking cheeseburgers (cow meat*2, cheese, flour)! I like this food value mechanic because I think it admits that possibility.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2015, 12:55:31 pm »

Adventurers need a way to cook meat, and raw meat should be edible but cause horrible diseases much of the time, depending on the animal it came from. Adventure mode is even more alpha than fortress mode, so proper cooking will enter it eventually, but it may be some time.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2015, 02:34:48 pm »

Adventurers need a way to cook meat, and raw meat should be edible but cause horrible diseases much of the time, depending on the animal it came from. Adventure mode is even more alpha than fortress mode, so proper cooking will enter it eventually, but it may be some time.
It could also be creature/ethic related. Urist McSushi loves raw fish, even though it's usually not considered edible. Goblins and trolls are probably fine with raw meat. Elves, too (tho they only get it by cannibalism, which is just bizarre). Dogs prefer rotten meat over fresh. Things like that. Oh, and predators should start eating their kills.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »

Dogs do not prefer to eat rotten meat. They eat it, but only because they will eat anything vaguely edible.

Any creature who eats raw meat should possibly suffer the consequences of illnesses and parasites. Wild animals also experience worms and even diarrhoea from eating bad meat. Elves should cook corpses before eating them, as real cannibals usually did - they may be cannibals, but even they would have some standards and would not want parasitic worms hanging out of their bottoms.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:51:42 pm by Urist Tilaturist »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2015, 03:13:28 pm »

Animals like vultures have physiological defenses against parasites from rotting meat (things like bald heads and noxiously strong stomach acid). While predators should be eating what they kill, and while poisoning meat and things should be legitimate tactics for taking down big monsters, it seems a little too far to say that parasites that render food inedible for dwarves would be just as dangerous for beasties that would have evolved eating food with said parasites in it...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2015, 05:03:50 pm »

Vultures and other carrion feeders are indeed much more resistant to eating rotten meat, but most animals are not. Humans also evolved eating unhygienic food, some of which contained parasites; even today, many people have worms in poorer places. Only creatures who mostly eat carrion have adapted a lot to deal with it.

Parasite ridden food is not inedible, it just gives parasites to the eater. Most wild animals have parasites of some sort.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]