Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Game  (Read 1096 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building Game
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:05:49 pm »

Hello bay12
I am making a game about building to reach the top. Fighting imps on the way, you must find a pattern of building that doesn't result in imps flying into your face.
It's beatable, though a bit hard to understand.
Future versions may be animated or have sound- but this version does not.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19360805/BuildingGame.exe
Windows only, under the .net framework(Csharp)

Not a bug: you can't build in the bottom or top rows.
:standing still when clicking the character.
:the game is hard, especially with no feedback like sounds or animations.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building Game
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »

Please post if you played the current version (it's very hard to beat if you don't know what to do, which is make a bunch of platforms off to the side to spawn imps, so they spawn much more rarely above you.)

In other news, I'm not sure what direction to go with the game now that I've made it.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:07:48 pm »

Nice! I haven't been able to beat it; the imps seem to spawn consistently enough that it's impossible to get to the top (once the building's tall enough). When you move up, they can pretty much always intercept you, even off to the side. I'm sure I just didn't build far enough out or something, though.

As for which direction to go, were you planning on having combat with the imps? Or is it all about avoidance? Could there be different tile types you can put down? Do you need resources from killing imps to build more?

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:59:57 pm »

Played. Hard. Didn't beat it. Good job!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 06:19:11 am »

>As for which direction to go, were you planning on having combat with the imps?
Yes, I was planning to have combat with the imps. However, It looks like I may instead be building in unity instead of default forms in visual studio.
I dunno if I will come back to update this, or make a unity version. It's up in the air. Are you looking for anything specific?
>Or is it all about avoidance?
It's a complicated set of steps that includes building a spawn area for the imps, getting above the incoming imps, and farming for build stuff, combined together.
>Could there be different tile types you can put down?
Different tile types are a definite possibility, assuming I come back to update this.
>Do you need resources from killing imps to build more?
YES. The amount of build stuff you have is actually in the name in the title bar at the top. Not great or elegant, and it only technically works as opposed to actually working. Nobody sees it. Not even me.

My brother just set me up with two of his incomplete unity projects, including a 3d math puzzle solved by slingshot, a princess pony jigsaw puzzle, as well as some unity platformer assets.
I got toys to play with and it ain't even Christmas yet. But what I really want to make is a spirograph generator Because I think I can make money off that, in the unity asset store.

Nothing says beautiful like five dollar spirograph.