Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unnamed Stealth Game  (Read 2142 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Unnamed Stealth Game
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:27 pm »

Current Idea
Protagonist
-To be decided-

Setting
-To be decided-

Stuff to Implement
As good of a stealth mechanic as I can implement
As good of a reaction mechanic as I can implement
Open world to allow for an ability to choose your path

Spoiler: Currently Shelved (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:14:47 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Unnamed Dragon Game
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »

Not sure about an engine, per se, but two libraries you can check out for python are libtcod - for roguelikes only, mostly - and pygame. They're both fairly well documented and have plenty of useful features, depending on what you need.

Also, the concept interests me. I'll be watching to see how it progresses.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 03:23:50 pm »

It's not quite what you wanted, but have you checked out the Unity engine? It has a free license, which I'm pretty sure allows sales, and works for 2D or 3D. The three languages it likes are C#, Javascript, or Boo, which is pretty similar to Python.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 03:30:23 pm »

PTW.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:19:56 pm »

It's not quite what you wanted, but have you checked out the Unity engine?

Wow.  What does Pro add for that price?!  Gonna use the free version, but, what does that add?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:33:47 pm »

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »

Is this the same project from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127161.0   or a different one?

As for engines, Unity may be the way to go (though you can likely find a simpler one if you have the same complaints as before, especially if you are just using 2d stuff, but you'd need to do some searching / asking on game dev forums for specifics).  No matter what you pick though, you have to stick with it and commit to learning and (more importantly) doing if you want to get it done.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »

Is this the same project from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127161.0   or a different one?

Different one.  That one I had been thinking about creating a randomly generated 3d world with destructable terrain and a procedural history, vast interactions possible with civilizations, and various other things.  Pretty much, I was thinking too big and trying to do too much.

As for engines, Unity may be the way to go (though you can likely find a simpler one if you have the same complaints as before, especially if you are just using 2d stuff, but you'd need to do some searching / asking on game dev forums for specifics).  No matter what you pick though, you have to stick with it and commit to learning and (more importantly) doing if you want to get it done.

Probably going to go with the 3d plan.

Better lighting and graphic tools, support for run-time animation IK rig effects (like walking on uneven rocks), no Unity splash screen on game start-up, a few other things...

So, this means that when I reach the end and want to make everything as polished as possible, I'm gonna take the Pro's 30 day trial and binge the thing to make it look as good as possible.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 06:38:20 pm »

Panda3D uses Python and is kinda good, apparently. It's also free.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:25 pm »

I got some pretty neat results using JMonkey for a 3d solar system thingy, not sure how good it is at complex meshes though.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

So I've hit a brick wall.  I can't come up with a narrative.  This could be a problem...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »

So I've hit a brick wall.  I can't come up with a narrative.  This could be a problem...

Ok start with this: Why would this world need a mechanical dragon with a conscience? Heck did they give it a conscience and if they didn't do it intentionally why did it happen?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 05:04:46 pm »

Ok start with this: Why would this world need a mechanical dragon with a conscience? Heck did they give it a conscience and if they didn't do it intentionally why did it happen?

Within games, many people will destroy as much as they possibly can, just because.  I don't think conscience (an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one's behavior) is an issue.

Unless you meant conscious (aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake), in which case, the AI was designed to learn, in order for it to effectively approach targets.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 09:48:52 pm »

I believe they mean conscience in terms of the "selfless/self-centered" scale you mentioned. Though I guess that doesn't actually bear on the PC at all, it's just a guideline for the player.

the AI was designed to learn, in order for it to effectively approach targets.

So it's a military robot? Who made it, and why? Is there a war (who against who)? Did the gov't build it, or some private party? Can/does it rebel against its creators? Why? And why is it a dragon - obviously meta-game rule of cool, but in-game? Is the dragon maybe a symbol of the group that created it, and this robot is supposed to be indicative of their might?
Just some questions to get started on. They're mostly backstory, but that's what the plot has to build on.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 12:41:17 am »

Blah, narrative. Game and gameplay first, figure out what would be fun to play. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon
Pages: [1] 2