Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Community Webfortress - Now 40.16!  (Read 20523 times)

Seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community Webfortress
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:12:39 am »

I went and played on both Ankoku's (seekers) and Dragoon's server. I like how you can change tile sets by modifying the hyperlink. I enjoy my curses~

On My server did you experience lag?

foxsoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 05:44:24 pm »

Yes, I had experienced some input lag, but it wasn't really that bad. At times it did seem as though it was totally unresponsive... Such as going up one elevation. That input has completely stopped working for me.

Which is weird since it was working before.

It was fixed, McMagma checked it out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:32:35 pm by foxsoul »

AdeptAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 11:17:32 am »

I went and played on both Ankoku's and Dragoon's server. I like how you can change tile sets by modifying the hyperlink. I enjoy my curses~

Probably my favorite feature at the moment because nobody has to feel excluded for not using ASCII or being used to a particular set and not being able to use it.

We've also added a nickname system that'll display your nickname when you take a turn. Simply add &nick=yournick to the end of the url and whenever you are playing it should say "Yournick is doing their best. Please wait warmly." so people are aware of who is playing.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 12:21:58 pm »

I'm considering making a landing page that has some basic documentation, and expectations on usage.  What i'm thinking for mine is the name of the server, some general rules and guidelines, and hints and tips for improving your experience (Tileset and text changes, how to give yourself a nickname, how to log in to the chat in a separate window so you don't keep logging on refresh...)

What kind of information would you like to see on it?  I'm hoping to make a template that makes it fairly easy to swap bits in and out.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:49 am »

That could a great way to attract new players - nothing to install, just read introduction, watch others playing, try yourself. Could even have a separate sandbox server where new players can have fun.

Seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 04:52:15 am »

I'm going to be making a post on the reddit board about this (again) and what i was thinking was, since there are three servers, i was going to make it so one server was for beginner players, one for intermediate and one for "experts"  or something like that i don't know if thats a good idea or not i just wanted to though it out there i guess, i also asked the mods of the board if theyed add it to the side bar, they said they would if there was enough interest

I need to put in the URL commands so if we could have a paste bin of those made up so i can link it in the post that be really helpful,  web forts G2G except for the stuff  Dragoon was talking about,   pretty sure alloyed has fix the connection problems, the new nickname thing is going to make stuff really easy to keep track of who's done what, so, we just have a few of the things left on the issues( want list) on the git hub to take care of and its going to be great! 

let me know if you guys like the idea of having different experience level Forts, so beginner players can feel comfortable playing

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 09:16:57 am »

I'm going to be making a post on the reddit board about this (again) and what i was thinking was...
-snip-

That sounds like an interesting idea.  The thing I was thinking we were lacking right now was any diversity.  I'm not sure there should be a hard rule of 'no beginners allowed!' on the expert server, but I like the idea of having more like-skilled players being able to assume a level of play.  I'm sure once people are all playing together too, they can trade ideas and train up other newer players.  I've learned a lot just watching and chatting the last week.

One of the things that would make sharing much easier would be a way to track important elements in a fort.  When I am playing, I like to leave Notes on levers, in important rooms, or anyplace I have set special stockpile rules.  I don't know how enforceable something like this is, but I think a technique like this could be employed on the more expert player servers to allow better planning of shared mega projects.

Back to Webfort specifically--
All the URL commands have been in the readme file.  I'm writing a pastebin article to hopefully explain it a bit better for a player who is less tech savvy.

In regards to the web frontpage I was discussing, I am very open to suggestions or contributions of code.  I have not had any real web coding experience since 2003, and I know things have come a long way. 

I'm hoping to start working with the dwarfexport DF Hack plugin - Which gives you an XML file of all the dwarves in your fort - and having a 'Cast' section of the fort page.  My only delay right now is...learning how to do it.  I've never worked with Web Coding and XML before.  I'm confident I can figure it out, it will just take time.  I will be demoing any work on my server once I have something to show off.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 12:03:32 pm »

TwitchPlaysDF

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 04:04:53 pm »

I couldn't find a working release/install on the github thing. I'm told a new release, compatible with 40.15, is coming "soon"

I am really, really excited for this.

Really.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 05:50:56 pm »

TwitchPlaysDF

we actually talked about doing that it the chat
make turns last 5 secs, auto connect, im not sure if anything would get done but it be "FUN" to watch 

AdeptAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57:06 am »

I couldn't find a working release/install on the github thing. I'm told a new release, compatible with 40.15, is coming "soon"

I am really, really excited for this.

Really.

The reason why you couldn't find a build is because up until now the newer builds have been "private" due to the various connectivity issues we were having, if we had released the build publically poor Alloyed's mail would probably be flooding with questions and problems.

Now that those issues have been solved Alloyed will be releasing a proper ready to go build on the Github in the following week or so. We'd also like to finish a landing page of sorts that explains some of the workings of the plugin like how to add different tilesets, color schemes, how to set a nick, how to start your own so people don't flood the IRC channels with questions.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 10:56:04 am »

Right on, I get it, I was on one of the webforts yesterday talking to them about it.
Again, super excited.
Especially since it'll be a way easier way to teach my new-to-DF buddies the various knacks of avoiding first-year fun. Like starvation.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 07:37:15 am »

Just in case those monitoring the post haven't seen the update, web fortress has been updated to 2.0!

All the basic features are inplimented, and forts are very playable. Check out the first post for links and news!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

AdeptAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 12:13:36 pm »

We're also working on a landing page of sorts for people who want to join the server. Right now, it asks people to set a nickname and optionally to hide the side chat for a large view of the game, a tileset/font selector so people can choose which tiles/font to see along with a color scheme selector.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 02:54:17 am »

The sole problem I've run into now that I've got it working properly is that the normal number keys (above the keyboard) and space do not function for text entry strings. I noticed that the number keys -were- in fact moving the cursor in the Manager menu (which is where number entry, at least, is vital) so I suspect it has something to do with how the applet is listening for input. I tried deleting all keybindings for "by position: <number>", but that did not help.

Other than that, it is splendid!

For those of you having trouble running it on Android smartphones:
Install chrome browser app (the native browser app, at least for some phones, seems to not like the applet)
Install Hacker's Keyboard App (it's free, I promise), This will give you a full keyboard and allow you to summon it at any time (as opposed to text entry only)
Enable the always-in-taskbar notification icon in the Hacker's Keyboard's settings, so You can pull it up for the applet
Disable suggestions to save screen space, set screen usage to aroung 40-50% depending on how sausagey your fingers are
Best used in portrait mode

The small screen makes it difficult to do anything major, but with a little foreplanning I can usually run several turns before my idler count rises above 30%, which is all the attention I can really give it at work anyway.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4