Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Community Webfortress - Now 40.16!  (Read 20517 times)

Rogue Yun

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware of the Carp
    • View Profile
Re: Community Webfortress
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 08:40:40 am »

I am posting to follow.

.:Simple Mood 16x16 ASCII:.
Keep it Simple. Keep it Safe.

AdeptAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 01:48:08 pm »

Servers are now running 40.16.

Note: After your turn is over or after ending your turn manually, the game is saving so it will appear frozen, it's not. Also, make sure to only click the bar once ending your turn or the game will queue multiple saves in a row.

AdeptAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 01:49:21 pm »

The sole problem I've run into now that I've got it working properly is that the normal number keys (above the keyboard) and space do not function for text entry strings. I noticed that the number keys -were- in fact moving the cursor in the Manager menu (which is where number entry, at least, is vital) so I suspect it has something to do with how the applet is listening for input. I tried deleting all keybindings for "by position: <number>", but that did not help.

Other than that, it is splendid!

For those of you having trouble running it on Android smartphones:
Install chrome browser app (the native browser app, at least for some phones, seems to not like the applet)
Install Hacker's Keyboard App (it's free, I promise), This will give you a full keyboard and allow you to summon it at any time (as opposed to text entry only)
Enable the always-in-taskbar notification icon in the Hacker's Keyboard's settings, so You can pull it up for the applet
Disable suggestions to save screen space, set screen usage to aroung 40-50% depending on how sausagey your fingers are
Best used in portrait mode

The small screen makes it difficult to do anything major, but with a little foreplanning I can usually run several turns before my idler count rises above 30%, which is all the attention I can really give it at work anyway.

Spacebar problem fix:
Keybindings --> Text Entry --> 032: Set keybinding to space.

Turtlicious

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Community Webfortress - Now 40.16!
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:11 am »

Looks awesome, can't wait for the 40.16 release to see if I can't host my own server!

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 01:15:02 am »

The sole problem I've run into now that I've got it working properly is that the normal number keys (above the keyboard) and space do not function for text entry strings. I noticed that the number keys -were- in fact moving the cursor in the Manager menu (which is where number entry, at least, is vital) so I suspect it has something to do with how the applet is listening for input. I tried deleting all keybindings for "by position: <number>", but that did not help.

Other than that, it is splendid!

For those of you having trouble running it on Android smartphones:
Install chrome browser app (the native browser app, at least for some phones, seems to not like the applet)
Install Hacker's Keyboard App (it's free, I promise), This will give you a full keyboard and allow you to summon it at any time (as opposed to text entry only)
Enable the always-in-taskbar notification icon in the Hacker's Keyboard's settings, so You can pull it up for the applet
Disable suggestions to save screen space, set screen usage to aroung 40-50% depending on how sausagey your fingers are
Best used in portrait mode

The small screen makes it difficult to do anything major, but with a little foreplanning I can usually run several turns before my idler count rises above 30%, which is all the attention I can really give it at work anyway.

Spacebar problem fix:
Keybindings --> Text Entry --> 032: Set keybinding to space.

This worked, and also double-setting the keybindings for the number keys got them working again too. alt key combos don't work still, but scrolling to slabs is no problem :P
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 01:58:37 am »

For anyone that is interested in continuing the turn on Dragoon209's Modded Fortress Mode Server (40.16), I've just discovered the caverns and now the cave moss is taking over everything. The military commander dispatched the were raccoon attack, though I fear the stonecrafter Nil Likotnanir maybe infected. There are 3 casualties from the sneak attack, plus 2 from the previous turn. I have entombed all of them. I have also sealed off the caverns and dug out a separate passageway via another route to be breached by my successor. The + key ain't working for me for some reason, so things are kind of wonky.

I suggest digging out rooms in the stone layer and start moving everything down there ASAP. Abandon the soil layer and embrace the stone! Also, the bridge that connects the Trade Depot access is a retracting bridge. You'll want to dig a moat. The lever room is next to the circular dining room. I've dug out a stockpile area near the wood burning facilities, so you might want to move all the furniture and wood from above ground there before you proceed with the moat. We have iron, so I'll suggest churning out military gear once everything is settled down, or if you can find flux, so as not to raise the fortress wealth too much.

Also, migrant wave just arrived. Someone with more patience with job assignments will have to continue from here :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:03:18 am by Zuglarkun »

Northstar1989

• Bay Watcher
  • It is not death a man should fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 02:15:35 am »

What is this?  Webfortress???

I take it that it's some sort of mod to allow continuing online play, but how does it work?  Where can I find a summary/explanation of it?

Regards,
Northstar
There once was a dream that was Rome...

Dathateyo, SDQR- (for the) Senate Dwarves Quo Romanus!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 09:16:30 am »

I take it that it's some sort of mod to allow continuing online play, but how does it work?  Where can I find a summary/explanation of it?

Regards,
Northstar

Not a mod. Read the first page. Remote hosting (I think) of Dwarf fortress. Just click the link, create a user name and play. Its really fun (as I found out yesterday) when there are people in chat, as you can take turns on the fly. Its kinda like streaming on twitch, except you can have folks alternate turns as overseer pretty much on the spot.

The connection can be laggy, there is no therapist and I haven't found a way to modify the tile sets or key bindings. So I can kinda see why it hasn't taken off yet. But ANYONE can just sign in and play. You don't need a working copy of DF, just a working internet connection.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:21:24 am by Zuglarkun »

Gerund

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »

Short explanation: there's a little dfhack plugin that records every time a tile onscreen is updated, and sends that data over a Websocket. Then your web browser can render their own copy of what is happening onscreen from that, and send key presses back to the Dwarf Fortress instance if somebody wants to play. In a sense it's very similar to services like onlive, where a game is run on a remote computer and you see only a low-latency video of yourself playing the game, except you can get a much better economy of scale using only tile updates.

Not a mod. Read the first page. Remote hosting (I think) of Dwarf fortress. Just click the link, create a user name and play. Its really fun (as I found out yesterday) when there are people in chat, as you can take turns on the fly. Its kinda like streaming on twitch, except you can have folks alternate turns as overseer pretty much on the spot.

The connection can be laggy, there is no therapist and I haven't found a way to modify the tile sets or key bindings. So I can kinda see why it hasn't taken off yet. But ANYONE can just sign in and play. You don't need a working copy of DF, just a working internet connection.
about tilesets: you can technically already use other tilesets, except:
* they have to be hosted on the server (dumb limitation, todo)
* be 16x16 (dumb limitation, already fixed, but not released)
* character sets don't work (this is hard: many graphics sets will often edit their raws in mutually exclusive ways. I would like to get at least custom dwarves, though)
* there's no UI for it yet (also todo)
To use it right now, pick out what you'd like from http://urist.is-a-geek.com:8080/newver/art/ and then follow the instructions in
https://github.com/Ankoku/df-webfort/blob/master/static/README.md
Key bindings are a little harder, and what I'm focusing on when I get the time.
Problem A: some keybinds just don't work through a browser. example: the default CTRL-P to open up a dfhack console will just ask your browser to print the page, instead.
Problem B: If you use a non-US keyboard some keycodes may be different. This can probably be fixed using a clientside shim.
Problem C: If you want straight custom keybindings, there needs to be a way to make sure your bindings don't affect anybody else. This probably needs some dfhack black magic, still haven't looked into it.

boysfromthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • two years in and still a noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 04:08:59 pm »

This is an amazing idea... will have a look at it

Thanks uploader

Henour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »

I remember there was a Google doc Documenting one of the Webforts, where was that? Can't find the link!

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 01:35:25 pm »

I think you are thinking of my fort!

Go to the urist. Is-a-geek fort, and it is in my front page.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Henour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 11:24:02 am »

I think you are thinking of my fort!

Go to the urist. Is-a-geek fort, and it is in my front page.
Somehow overlook this. Thank you :-)

On Firefox for me the Hotkeys for Level up/down don't work, but work one IE not sure why. Esc doesn't work with either one for me. Not a big issue but handy to check/configure Hotkeys. Not sure if that is a fault on my side.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:33 am »

Is the Community Webfortress still a thing?

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 09:11:17 am »

Is the Community Webfortress still a thing?

Current outage aside (I had a power outage while I am on a business trip, and haven't been home to turn it back on),  I still host 2 webforts.  Development seems to have quieted down for a bit, but I'm not positive on the status.

Regardless, check back in a day or so, and my forts should be back up.  Its a really run way to play!!  Hopefully someone else can comment on the state of things.
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4