Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to play in the new update?  (Read 1483 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
How to play in the new update?
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:06 pm »

So, when the new update came, I was thrilled! But, when I started playing, I had no idea what was going on. Can someone please explain to me what is new?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How to play in the new update?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »

You mean in 40.xx?

For adventure mode:

-Multi-attacks.  So far it seems like attack-dodge is a fairly qualified winner, although Ive had good results with other moves

-Different run speeds, climb-speeds, swim-speeds, flying speeds, and crawling speeds.  All affected by if you are sneaking and how long you are going in a constant direction.

-Jumping.  You can jump farther if you are going faster, and a slower adventurer (read: weighed down) will actually move faster by jumping.

-Sneaking.  There are smells now, although the ai seems hit and miss about using it.  There is also tracking, and stealth isnt a simple as 'you've been spotted' anymore.  laying down is better for sneaking, and speed may also affect your chances.  You will also no longer receive messages telling you to run or fight.  Note that you can still crawl between the legs of a hostile, but you need more skill to do so.

-Merchants.  Elves have sites, and so do dwarves.  Trade isnt useful yet, but its not useless either.  Good for upgrading your armor without killing.

-Boogeymen are, imo, even more menacing.  They have a huge speed increase due to their natural agility, and faster movement still translates into roguhly more attacks with more force behind them.  Luckily

-Companions.  Its easier to get companions.  Any drunk should join any non-hated adventuerer.  My peasant dwarf never has any trouble getting a guide to a location or a permanent companion.  You can also dismiss companions now.

-Quests.  Quests are quite a bit more vague, and you dont yet have a sense of completion when doing them.  You kill the monster or bandits, and every act like you walked outside and killed a monkey in a tree.  While we are here

-Relationships.  a bit wonky right now, people seem to have trouble hating you enough to attack,  Bandits are neutral most of the time, and entity may give quests to kill bandits that are still a part of their civ, resulting in hurt feelings when you proclaim your success.  However, whole civs are much, much less likely to attack you on sight now.  Theyll spit at you instead :P

-Gossip.  Gossip is still a bit wonky as well, but the basics are there.  If you tell enough people about something, word will spread, albeit slowly.  If you keep your mouth shut about robbing that traveler and eating his corpse, nobody will know, but they may suspect instead.  Also its possible to spread misinformation now.

-Armies.  Currently bugged, but sometimes you can find them squatting around a campfire and not going comatose.

-Travelling ai.  The ai will now send out travelers, robbers, and even night horrors (who are horrible, btw.  I have yet to win against them, straight up loses or draws)  You now will see the ambush coming, most of the time.  depending on the type of hostile, they will either run from you to draw you into their lair/reinforcements, chase you until they are 0,1, or 2 tiles away (and engage you), or ignore you.  Sneaking on the fast-travel map is a thing too.

-ai changes.  The ai is a little on the side of being a giant pansy, but the ai has changed to allow for threat assessment and personal emotions.  Most animals a re giant softies, and killing allies may cause non-harded soldiers to flee.

-Dual-wielding and parrying.  Totally a thing and totally awesome.  Im saying this as somebody who scoffs at the concept in most games.

-Trees and bushes have berries.  Much easier to get food in fortress mode, and in the fall in adventurer.  Also note that that blood splatter on your cheek doesnt satisfy your thirst any longer

-Zombies.  zombies are now your nemesis, tougher than most husks.  Husks are now properly 'alive but soulless' as opposed to goddamn unstoppable.  Zombies no longer have hp and you need to either pulp them (with a blunt attack) or goreify them (with piercing or slashing to gib them).  They also seem to have a thing where they have supernatural detection abilities while inside a tower, but not outside of it :/  Overall, the hardest creature imo.

-Personal trading is a thing, and Ive disarmed future hostile with it, armed nobles with toy boats, and even traded one merchant for the cloths off his back.

-Necks.  throats still exist, but the neck is the part to choke, and zombie necks are murderous bastards.  Dont mess with them.

Im sure theres more, I just blank on them right now.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:48:49 am »

- Emotions, Still heavily worked on by Toady, but you now can make people freak out by throwing their dead family members at them etc.

- Fights, you can fight with your bare hands which would result in a brawl instead of a lethal fight etc pp.
You can literally have a punching fight wit someone until one side finnaly decides to give up.

- oh and you can climb, necessary if you want to get your hands on the elves.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:30:23 am »

Throwing isn't as overpowered, so no bronze colossi beheading with fluffy wamblers, but it's still quite useful and dangerous. Bolts and arrows no longer kill you in one shot, but are still pretty dangerous. I died from five bolts to the chest after beating two cave dragon, a roc, and a ton of bogeymen. Just five iron bolts to the chest.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

Yep, with high enough willpower you can stand even 12 bolts... in random body parts...

Nobody will take my retired fort!
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.