Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lying  (Read 3098 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Lying
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:47:54 pm »

So recently I've made errors in ny life and I've told an awful lie. My mom is a bit crazy and a control freak at times but I've made her out to be worse to thus one friend. He's caught me lying once but I think he's either forgiven or tried to look past it. I feel I need to say something now rather than let this blow up later in my face...

Should I tell him? Also does anyone know the traits of a compulsive liar or pathological liar?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lying
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:01:01 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »

+1 to what Vector said.

If I recall correctly, a compulsive/pathological liar tells lies not for any discernible purpose, but because lying is a habitual response and they see nothing wrong with it. And the fact that you're concerned about that being the case is probably a point in the opposite direction.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »

I decided to tell him and thus far he's pretty meh about it...thank you for the advice.

Also for reference pathological lyers lie for no reason. They may also be sociopaths who have no empathy with others. At least according to the psychological site I pulled up. Compulsive lying is apparently the effect of something else, which I need to find and take care off.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:58:37 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 05:13:11 pm »

Telling the truth is a lot easier than juggling lies. Leaves more brain power for the important things.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:32 am »

Don't make lying a habit. People spot habitual liars easily. You can only lie so many times before it's obvious.

One of the best secrets of life is just to tell the truth quickly. As fast as possible. People don't mind the truth sometimes, and may even respect you for having the balls to tell a difficult truth.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:14 am »

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:48:21 am by rumpel »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 12:56:57 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:59:36 pm by Vector »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 01:42:20 pm »

I was going to say: It kind of depends on what you're lying about. For example, you can lie about how you're feeling for years and believe me, no one will notice.

Because it's hard to prove otherwise. The best lies are the ones no one can prove are lies. Then they just... become truth.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »

I was going to say: It kind of depends on what you're lying about. For example, you can lie about how you're feeling for years and believe me, no one will notice.

Because it's hard to prove otherwise. The best lies are the ones no one can prove are lies. Then they just... become truth.

Very true.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:18:33 pm »

Well, no. A lie is by definition untrue. It literally cannot be true. That makes it not a lie.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

Well, no. A lie is by definition untrue. It literally cannot be true. That makes it not a lie.

Some truths are subjective.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 11:31:31 pm »

I don't understand that.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:35 pm »

Remember that honesty is the best policy, if you think that lying won't work anymore.
Pages: [1] 2