Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invincible Windmill Farm complete, needs testing.  (Read 13190 times)

tercicatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invincible Windmill Farm complete, needs testing.
« on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:10 pm »

Lag from dwarven water reactors sucks. Trying to make an Invincible Windmill Farm. Seems lag free  :)

Done constructing and checking feasibility, so it's definitely safe against land-bound building destroyers. But do flying building destroyers still need a place to stand while they do their dirty work?

Proof of concept gallery:
http://imgur.com/a/L2rcx

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Invincible Windmill Farm complete, needs testing.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:50:49 pm »

I would assume they need the usual 1 tile to stand on + 1 tile away, couldn't they land on the gear assembly and target it?

tercicatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:03:36 am »

I would assume they need the usual 1 tile to stand on + 1 tile away, couldn't they land on the gear assembly and target it?

I dunno. It's a 'walk through' part on a hanging mechanism, so I'm hoping they can't. I'll unleash the circus later this week when I have more time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:05:17 am by tercicatrix »

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:05 am »

I can't get it to work 100% of the time... more like 90% of the time but I often just build a series of water wheels and trap the water in using two floodgates at a depth of 7 over most tiles and 6 at one or two (so the water continually sloshes back and fouth). In the current version of DF this constitutes flowing water and you get power without any lag.

Usually I build a large snake like this:

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 03:54:05 am »

OP what tileset are you using? And what do you need the power for?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:16 am »

Alternative ways to build comparatively safe windmills:
- build them underground. Only the central tile of the mill needs to be "outside", so you can simply dig a shaft down from the surface to your power plant. You can then wall around the "ventilation holes", which should keep even climbing invaders from taking an interest, since there's nothing to see but a hole in the ground. If your main power consumption is somewhere underground, that's also an easy way to shorten your drive shaft.
- exploit the "power through the floor" feature: if you build a windmill, _then_ construct machinery below that accepts power from above, the mill can drive the machinery through an unbroken floor.  It's mentioned on the wiki (figure one), and it still works in 0.40.11.  While this doesn't adress invaders smashing the windmill, it separates the mill from the power train, meaning the power plant offers absolutely no path of any kind into your fort proper. You can of course combine underground mills with through-the-floor power, which ought to be pretty close to invincible.

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:45:51 am »

I can't get it to work 100% of the time... more like 90% of the time but I often just build a series of water wheels and trap the water in using two floodgates at a depth of 7 over most tiles and 6 at one or two (so the water continually sloshes back and fouth). In the current version of DF this constitutes flowing water and you get power without any lag.

Usually I build a large snake like this:

This is intriguing... Is it lagless or just lag-resistant? Does it work in all versions?
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:45:27 pm »

Neat! I hope you get a flying building destroyer to give it a real test!

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

i think i remember reading somewhere that assemblie cast in obsidian still work just fine. Is that the case in new vertion ? Does it work with windmill ?

tercicatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:20 pm »

OP what tileset are you using? And what do you need the power for?

Tileset I use is here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:720x225_SmoothWalls7.png

Right now, I just have 2 pump stacks in another fortress I'm using to 'role play' cleaning contaminants from a river with (Evil biome).

So, this much power and concern is not currently warranted for my purposes, but what I enjoy most about this game is expanding knowledge. Maybe someday this will be handy for someone? Maybe even myself.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 09:25:27 pm »

Tileset I use is here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:720x225_SmoothWalls7.png

Right now, I just have 2 pump stacks in another fortress I'm using to 'role play' cleaning contaminants from a river with (Evil biome).

So, this much power and concern is not currently warranted for my purposes, but what I enjoy most about this game is expanding knowledge. Maybe someday this will be handy for someone? Maybe even myself.

Thanks! And I really like that narrative you've created: dwarven ecological engineering for a better future, today!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:19 pm »

Hmmm... I suppose this could be useful for an isolated magma pump at the top of a volcano with a lever back in the fort to flip it on/off... I will have to mess with this, as I'm currently trying to make it so I can flood the map with magma rapidly at will with stuff like a water reactor powered dual pump stack and several magma pistons, plus the onacloV (a big column of exposed stone above ground  which gets replaced with a roughly volcano shaped pile of magma when it drops, as a magma piston with no catchment on top is kinda like an inside out volcano) that has the southern part of the map taken care of completely.

Being able to put a couple of pumps that just draw right out of the upper parts of the volcano and flood down the sides would be handy, but trying to route water power out there wasn't worth it, too much power train lag and some inconvenient routes I'd have to take.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 02:00:27 am »

Flying building destroyers are rare. I can't think of any besides titans or fbs.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 02:44:21 am »

This is intriguing... Is it lagless or just lag-resistant? Does it work in all versions?
It works in the version from last year + all the new versions. Basically as long as you let SOME water flow out the end of the floodgate and that water can path to the edge of the map then when you close the flood gates the water inside stays flowing. I've not noticed any FPS loss using this, and you can make it any length. You could probably fill it right up to 7/7 to decrease any potential lag from flow calculations further.. the closer to totally full it is the better really. I'm not sure if it will still operate if you have it TOTALLY full, but my intuition says yes.

I find it a pleasing design because it reminds me of the shield generator on hoth from star wars :)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 02:47:43 am »

Flying building destroyers are rare. I can't think of any besides titans or fbs.

Flying building destroyers may be rare, but if you build some above ground windmills they are GOING to come and fly into them.... Just like when I build a ocean travelling (well not really it was static) boat. Within 1 year a giant web shooting three headed turtle had arrived and killed everyone onboard, claiming it for itself. DF is very good at these sorts of coincidences :D

Pages: [1] 2