Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Civ IV Colonization let's play (Drinking away our sorrows.)  (Read 3248 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Civ IV Colonization let's play (Drinking away our sorrows.)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 10:22:41 pm »

Huh. At least now I know my experiences with this game aren't uncommon!

So not the noblest of fates, but being an island empire clustered around a superpower isn't bad, right...? Plus think of the historical cred we'll get for not massacring the locals!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 06:41:44 am »

True. We were the nice guys. We even sold guns to the apache to help them defend themselves!
Quite honestly it was my first playthrough of Colonization 4 and i thought i'd win because i sometimes won Colonization 1 back in the day but the game works differently on many levels.
Especially the combat (not happening here because i was effectively seperated from everyone meaning i had loads of guns (pretty much all of my towns were involved in gun production) but no use for thes aside of selling to the locals.
And i think the first game gave you more time as well because after the first several years turns would be replaced by seasons so 1 year would take 4 turns.
It's not the case with the new colonization so there is really no time to screw around as you need a long term plan for industry and more importantly liberty bell production the second you leave the ship.

In any way. Tis a hard game it is!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »

I've played the original extensively, but have yet to touch the civ 4 version of colonization.

In the original you started in 1492 and ran at 1 turn per year up to 1600. After that it was 2 turns per year. On the highest difficulties you had roughly 200-250 turns before the AI's would start declaring independence, which would put the end game in the mid to late 1600's.

And island based empires were bad ideas in the original as well. Just way more difficult to defend cause the REF navy teleported to your islands and unloaded instantly and completely bypassed any navy you managed to assemble. And you wasted a lot of turns loading and unloading troops to reinforce whichever island was threatened at the time, or divided your army up amongst the islands and hoped they could hold on their own. Good show though and nice try, better luck next time.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:36 pm »

I read a bit of info about the second one so i knew that the navy had to travel to your colony first and always attacks the closest colony so you could even have 0 armed colonists in all other colonies (you can see this in my last update with spaniards defending where the AI takes colony starting from the east and works its way westwards before being overpowered in field combat)

However my plan was centered around getting a big enough fleet to stop most troops from landing... what i didn't anticipate was how downright impossible was getting liberty bells in size 20+ towns.
It would have probably worked if i had some extra towns (preferably with a populace being mostly taken from my two island "imposibletoraiserebelsentiment" megalopolises making trade goods or Ships of the line because it all hinged on how well i could crank out more navy and establish naval superiority.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 [2]