Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 4] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]  (Read 8809 times)

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please do only post Turn Posts and Journals in this thread!

For Information and comments/discussion on this Succession Game, consult the Discussion Thread.

This is not the thread for Dwarf requests, comments, or other forms of OOC! Keeping this thread clean will make Glovedloved an easier and more enjoyable read for everybody!

DWARF PROFILES & CURRENT RELATIONSHIPS:

Spoiler: "The Nobles" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "The Peasants" (click to show/hide)

PROLOGUE

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

YEAR ONE, CHAPTER ONE

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:21:01 am by Nordinkel »

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 2] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »

Quote from: Tacomagic
First Jounral entry of TacoMagic Rigòthigër:

I am writing this journal as an attempt to chronicle our great work here at Glovedloved.  Hopefully we will be successful, and this document will become the important historical record outlining how Gloveloved pulled our people out of the dirt and into an enduring golden age of master craftsdwarfship the like of which the world, and the gods, have never seen before.  But that is for the future.

Mid-summer:

The look on that fool Nordinkel's face was priceless.  Thus far it has been relatively easy to keep him in line by exploiting a mixture of his greed, ambition, and fear of a marriage proposal that I'm sure he is regretting by now.  I hate to so thoroughly destroy the potential in another like this; but the needs of peasantry outweigh his paltry soul by a significant margin.  If only the poor filthy dears knew how important they are to us all.  Only through their ascension to pure dwarfdom can the sacrifice of us, the aristocracy who are doomed to the mediocrity of luxury, be finally made worthwhile.

With this grand, divine plan we shall mold these folk of mud and stench into the race we were all meant to be.  As the philosopher Ordin Tredleks said:  "Only through the heat of the fire, the pain of the hammering, and the harsh shock of the quench can a pure masterpiece be forged."  I have never heard words of more unquestionable Truth.  I must steel myself to the task ahead; the migrants are awaiting their king, and I must be in attendance at his side.

Quote from: Chimerat
First Entry: On the road and settling in
It started simply enough: With a lie.
"I'm off to talk to a few Nobles up in the capital, because I will be leaving to create an outpost for the Mountainhomes in, like... 5 Months? There will be Magma, and Adamantium and Steel."

What my housemate had forgotten was that I know how to brew and cook and thus had several contacts at most of the inns in town... So did he, it seemed. Though not of the professional sort.

My plan at first was just to burrow him in a pit of his own making, but as I spoke to each of my fellow she-Dwarves there was talk of actually forcing him to live up to his promises. After all, our skills complimented each other, and it seemed that several of the others had an idea of the sort of society they would like to craft, though I didn't really bother getting any details there. At least not past the part where we agreed on great drink and food.

So supplies were collected and a certain lying he-Dwarf was cornered and packed away. At least once he got too tired to run.

So now we were on our way to our new home. Regaval, or the more common "Glovedloved" as several of the others insist on calling it.

While there is a somewhat unsettling amount of trees, we have a healthy brook and multiple varieties of plants. I made sure to mention to the others the sorts of drinks and meals I could make with things. Spotting a few vaguely familiar shapes in some of the trees, I also pointed out that perhaps, once our population had grown a bit, we might set a few minds into collecting the fruits so we could have even more variety.

I do hope I can start things properly with roasts, but I fear our supplies might be too small to allow our palates such luxuries for some time yet. Towards shortening the path to that goal, I spend some time fishing, plenty of time getting out fields in order, and ensuring that the still and kitchen in order.

I do believe the others are having some fun with our resident he-Dwarf, but I think that's only fair. After all... He had his fun with us, didn't he?

Quote from: tonnot98
I've finally got that fool where I want him, and so have the others. Ruling as a queen will be so exhilarating, although I might just end up beating my lackeys into submission with my crossbow, and shoot their pet in the face to get whatever message across. I can already picture my tomb! An adamantine sarcophagus menacing with spikes of steel, decorated with pictures made out of raven bones, surrounded by adamantium statues of me striking down several foes! And then a kimberlite slab in my tomb of my killer, which will most likely be time itself.

Oh, when the time comes, it will be ME calling the shots, at least for a time.

Quote from: MedicInDisguise
I arrive in Glovedloved, finally. I feel quite sorry for the leader already, looking hat the mess higher up.

I have no clue how I got a chance to go here. All I had to do was fake a few PHD's, and now I'm the Doctor of Sociology, Medicine, Physics, and Psychology. Hopefully I can prove useful.

Ah well. I will go to sleep after I see what the leader says I shall do. Wait, where are the beds?

Quote from: Rhaken
Digger's Log

I have arrived in Glovedloved.

I immediately regret this decision.

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:36:03 pm »

YEAR ONE, CHAPTER TWO

MedicInDisquise

• Bay Watcher
  • Disappointment Incarnate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:44:22 pm »

I always told myself that common courtesy was great, as long as you got to dine with the big boys. Otherwise, it was useless. Well, looking at the single man and 6 women working their beards off up in the mountain, I decided to help out. Maybe get a bit more then a bedroom and a scepter.

Won't you believe it though, during all of that staring and shit I forgot about a couple of rules that he told us. Like don't walk into the fort. What a douchebag, he probably made this fort because of his libido or something. Well, if I can't live in the fort itself, perhaps I could sneak into it at night, perhaps? When everyone is sleeping? Either way, I'm going to be eating with the big boys, and I will enjoy it.

For now, I sigh, dragging my bag of tools and fake PHD's. Perhaps one day, but for one thing: I need a house.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:56:34 pm »

Quote from: Chimerat
Second Entry: Still Salvageable!

So...

Well, that was a bit unexpected wasn't it? Or was it...?

While the eyes of the new arrivals were mostly locked on Nordinkel went out to greet the new arrivals from the Mountainhome, some of my fellow travelers seemed a little too set on judging the migrants' reactions to all of this... I even think I saw one or two of them looking my way with the same purpose.

It seems that Regaval is to be a new start for us all in more way than one. And it also seems that I'll be able to make us Roasts with no issue. After all, my farms will only have to feed those deemed worthy to live within the mountain itself and that will prove to be an easy task, even with time spent brewing when liquid spirits begin to run low.

Who knows, perhaps in time I'll have enough alcohol to spare to make roasts that include that extra temptation for our tongues. Especially if I can make my bit to have a minecart track built to dump supplies in my workshop.

"Can we get those outside to do the fishing and harvesting? There will be so many of them that they can hunt or farm their own supplies on the side, can't they?" I put the questions to Nordinkel the next time our paths crossed. "At the very least, can we get them to figure out how to get those succulent fruits down for me to brew with? None of them would need to put a foot inside to get this done, and my cooking will fetch great prices for trade. You can sell a roast or two for more raw ingredients (and perhaps a few more animals) easily."

Now that I'm back at my still and checking the state of the latest brew (and letting his reply stew) I have to wonder: is Nordinkel fit to lead us? Does he have what it takes to make profitable trades and enforce the Rules he's put in place here?

And, much more importantly, how many of my fellows knew about this turn of events before we left the Mountainhome?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:58 pm »

Mid Summer Addendum,

Well, that was unexpected.  Nordinkel had spine enough to subtly change the plan on me, and did it in a way that makes salvaging the situation problematic.  It's a fine lesson that the best way to undermine somebody's plan is to do it publicly and then get everyone excited about it.  Not only did he say he was going to let some of the serfdom in to be ruined through the corruption of fine living, but he announced it was to be based on merit of all things.  This will surely cause the others to vote in favor of destroying the dwarf who has made the most progress toward enlightenment.  And to do once every year at that!  Do they honestly not understand the damage they will be doing!?

I will have to work this into the plan somehow.  We will need metalworkers inside the corrupt portion of the fortress at some point, so it is likely I can use that in order to retain the purity of these meritorious peasants.  Perhaps create a miniature version of my utopia within the fort itself, separate and insulated from the lavish excess that we must endure.

Then again, another thought occurs to me.  We could create positions of power among the peasants.  These positions would attract the most susceptible to corruption leaving the pure to their more sacred devices.  If I can convince the others to promote from within that group of corrupt, then my plans may still come to fruition.  I shall have to start thinking of positions that will attract only the most base among the workers.  Tax officers, justice officers, mayors, managers, hammerers, and sheriffs.  Those are the perfect positions to assign the chaff so that they may be sacrificed to the fell opulence of the inner citadel, while at the same time masking their uselessness behind false accomplishments.  Indeed, they could even be our agents among the pure.  Cutting and folding them into the form I have laid out.

Yes, I do believe this situation is still salvageable.  In fact, it may be that Nordinkel actually did me a favor today.  Perhaps I will not have him so quickly disposed of after all.

Now, to convince the others that we need to post these jobs for volunteers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:52:48 pm by Tacomagic »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 12:54:43 am »

Diary of Neblime
I had the misfortune to see some of those peasants up close today.  When i asked them rather impolitely what they were doing in the mountain they just said "storing items in stockpiles"
I reminded them in no uncertain terms of the fact they are NOT actually allowed inside the mountain, stockpiles or no, and a few threatening swings of my pick sent them on their way.  I hope Nordinkel can seal them out soon, I detest their presence almost as much as his own.  I have him fooled though.  He even calls me "friend".
hah.  in time my plans will come to fruition, but for now I shall mine the deepest places I can to escape the stench of the peasants, and present my most diplomatic self to my new "Friends"
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Yesaja

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy Lamia Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:57 am »

The front of this book says something like:
Warning: Contains angry dwarf-woman, who lets out her frustrations on the diary she never used!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:33:51 pm by Yesaja »

dwarobaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:28:39 pm »

Silver Hammer Diaries.

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:29:53 pm »

CHAPTER THREE

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:37:35 pm by Nordinkel »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 3] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:58:01 pm »

Third Entry: Compromise

Not one Roast was sent back to the Mountainhome to prove to my teachers that their lessons were not in vain. Not one...

So, Regaval is introduced to our second wave of migrants as "Gemclod" for some reason. Maybe... Just, just maybe... Nordinkel's spirits should be just a little less strong?

Just maybe.

I'm set to agree with the whispers I'm hearing about having him replaced, though. After all, who goes and butchers a female animal when there are males to spare!? One male can stud all the females (assuming they're of a mood and a mind), but a female can do the same work and produce more animals!

Well, this entry is looking like a bit of a mess there. Seems things are starting to get to me a bit, though I am interested in seeing if any of the others claims "inspiration" as a reason to get around Nordinkel's authority.

Might be fun to spread that idea around a bit...

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 08:30:18 pm »

Well, here I am. The Gravekeeper. Every outpost needs one, sooner or later.

So far things are peaceful, but I know that will change. Nordinkel can't keep everyone out of the mountain forever... Eventually things are going to come crashing down on top of him. And here I will be, to bury him. And everyone else.

Yesaja

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy Lamia Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 02:08:53 am »

The front note of the book has been removed, but - if opened - the first entry is still there.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:11:42 am by Yesaja »

MedicInDisquise

• Bay Watcher
  • Disappointment Incarnate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 04:12:05 am »

Third Diary Page:

As I labored, yet more migrants came. Hoping to see someone I recognized, or could scam (I have this valuable werewolf tooth, wanna have it?). Luckily, it all seemed they were too distracted by being forced into peasantry instead of dining in the great halls. Y'know, they most likely have everything we could need. Booze, Food, great engravings on the walls. But out here, all we have is the local river and a single axe. Well, it really doesn't matter. I don't plan to be around these idiots much longer, anyways. I could help them out, but what's in it for me.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 03:31:47 am »

4 Limestone
Talked with the diplomat. She was hot. We chatted. She had a very interesting story about some place called Fistlover or something. From the sound of it, there's a lot of opportunity there for someone like me. They don't even have a proper city watch set up.

5 Limestone
I can't be sheriff of this shithole forever. There's so few dwarves here that everyone likes each other to much to give me an excuse to give a good beating. And "Captain of the Guard" sure has a nice ring to it.

6 Limestone
Fuck this place and its close knit community, I'm off to Lovegauntlets.

7 Limestone
There's something satisfying about killing an animal that can't fight back. Affirms your power. Met some migrants. They're also heading to Gauntletedlovers, or whatever the fuck it's called. There are quite a few of them. Yes, look at me. Stare. I'll be watching you right back from now on.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:40:15 am by Skullsploder »
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4