Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should the competition be scored?

End Result
- 1 (50%)
Progress Reports (game runs until someone scores a certain number of points)
- 0 (0%)
Combined (set time winner is determined by total points)
- 1 (50%)
Other (please list recommendation)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: December 09, 2014, 08:09:49 pm

Author Topic: Dwarven Competition  (Read 1673 times)

Minds_Eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Qvack
    • View Profile
Dwarven Competition
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:55:38 pm »

Are you ready to compete to see who is the most dwarven?
For those who are I'm running a little competition, or two.
A Fortress Comp and an Adventure Comp.
Winners will be community judged by non-competitors and competitors outside that skill bracket.

Fortress Comp:
The fortress competition will have three brackets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
     1.)Newb Fort
     2.)Standard Fort
     3.)Veteran Fort

Adventure Comp:
The Adventure Competition will have three brackets as well.
     1.)A Legend among Legends
     2.)One More for the History Books
     3.)From Zero to Hero

Those who wish to join send a reply to this thread with which competition and what bracket. (Please stay in your actual skill bracket.  Don't join the lower ones just to crush new players.)
Map located here:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10089(Placeholder file.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:38:12 pm by Minds_Eye »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Competition
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »

This should really be in the community games forum, along with the succession play threads.
(this forum is really for people asking questions that are exclusive to fortress mode)

But what the heck.  I like building above ground.  I will look for a suitable volcano embark with easy magma and sand access. That should let me get started on a "Floating" fortress. (Really, suspended on a support above the ground)

Is using PerfectWorld OK?  I can sidestep a lot of rejection spammy time that way, and ensure a very high savagery value on 100% of the map.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:02:48 pm by wierd »

Minds_Eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Qvack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:02:32 pm »

Your right, sorry. Moving it over there.

As to the map, it will be provided once enough players join, and I figure out how to use the DF map sharing site.  Feel free to warm up on a personal map.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:07:13 pm by Minds_Eye »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:03 pm »

PerfectWorld works on the current version of DF.  It is possible to have 100% of the world map at maximum savagery that way, then just a little pokery with the advanced worldgen spinner can get lots of nasty evil.

I don't mind painting a custom world this way for the competition, just give me some characteristics to work with.

Minds_Eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Qvack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 08:21:30 pm »

That would be awesome, but if you want to do that we need to wait for more competitors. (no point in making the world all evil if half the competitors are newbs.)
The map I genned is up. (link in the intro)

Also since I have almost no say in the winner...
I'm in, Standard Fortress. (Should probably be in newb, but nothing ventured nothing gained.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:32:56 pm by Minds_Eye »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Hello? Is anybody still here? ???

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:21:06 pm »

Hrmmm, tempting, now that post-embark invasions might be fixed.

Making customized embarks in 34.11 was possible. What version is the genned map? A veteran embark should have the kind of torture that comes from carefully creating a 25-layer-deep aquifer and adjoining evil reanimating biomes so you can get a full spectrum of evil weather and no tile free of undead. (Desert next to ocean? Glacier is nice and barren, but freezing makes aquifer piercing a little too easy?)

Should a veteran embark have ANY stone above aquifer level? Would each veteran choose how to spend their embark points in that case? Maybe restrict point totals? Making it as extreme single pick challenge might not have a lot of takers in a really nasty area. Is reclaiming an option?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:20:38 pm »

for aquifer piercing fun, you want desert sand, with all aquifer layers being sand, loam, or peat.

this makes it so you have very little to build the walls and other stuff you need to double- slit method dig.  double slit method can go any number of layers down, but for each z level you need to build walls to control and seal off the flooding. without wood , stone, or clay boulders there isnt anything to make walls from. this means that trade is the only way to get what you need to pierce the aquifer.  makes getting underneat a real accomplishment, even with using a well established method.

Minds_Eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Qvack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:28 pm »

If GChristopher and Pencil are in then I say we wait for 3 more competitors before we start the fortress mode, 7 competitors with seven dwarfs each has a nice ring to it.

The map is 40.16, Wierd mentioned painting the map. (You still up for that Wierd?)

For Veteran the embark will be decided by a vote from all competitors. (The person playing doesn't get to change it unless the vote lets them chose another item or two.)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:20:08 pm »

DF 0.40.16 Is, I think, relatively stable but still has the kea/buzzard based emotion onslaught problems. If you are using this people will want to embark somewhere without thieving birds (you could raw-edit nerf them) or to hide away quickly.

[COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO]
in init.txt may, or may not, help prevent save file corruption. Windows users should probably use Large Address Aware on their DF exe and I strongly recommend seasonal backups in case of crashes or nasty bugs.

[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:YES]
in d_init.txt

Anyway, I'm tentatively interested but I need more details. Hmm, I guess the big question is on what basis will the winners be chosen.
a) End result
b) Interesting reports on progress
c) Both

Also what will the timeframe be for the competition? Real time, and game-time.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Minds_Eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Qvack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 08:14:12 pm »

Poll posted, those interested in the competition please vote for your choice. (This is a community contest, and I don't want to unilaterally decide the rules for the community.)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 08:16:50 pm »

You might want to specify what you mean by "points?" i.e. how many points are awarded per weaponized kitten thrall? What about a fortress defended only by fruit shotguns?

"who is the most dwarven" is an awfully subjective concept to enumerate. A giant smoking hole in the ground with one insane soapmaker trapped alone in a caved in room with no pick is also pretty dwarven, arguably.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:18:26 pm by gchristopher »