Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 4] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]  (Read 8946 times)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [YEAR 1 CHAPTER 4] Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [JOURNAL THREAD]
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 03:58:29 pm »

2nd Granite 251
New chains are good. Fastened nicely, strong manacles. No victims miscreants to use them on though.

18th Slate 251
More peasants. Many more. Population increasing fast, overcrowding increasing. Good, means more crime means more fun.

20th Felsite 251
Wood-Queen didn't consider arena fights valid solution for overcrowding.

22nd Felsite 251
Wood-bitch has decided to shit out all the Mountain's dogs on my side of the river. Manacles too large for puppies. Young meat is tender, solution perhaps?

26th Felsite 251
Omeganaut's housing project increasing morale. Decreasing chance of violence. Dispose of him? No, Wood-bitch likes him. She won't be in charge for long, by year's end no one will question quiet disappearance of foreman.

28th Felsite 251
Omeganaut brought good news: puppies crammed into faraway shack. Will finally be able to think without annoying yapping furballs. Reconsider: Seems much too logical course of action for peasant-pleaser. Investigate the shack later.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 12:18:53 am »

Year 2, Summer,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:06:01 pm by Tacomagic »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 09:04:39 am »

Eighth Entry: Goals

It's not fair! It's. NOT. FAIR!

We finally get another male in out midst and now TacoMagic expresses her disapproval of any sort of party. How else are we supposed to get to know Digger better (and, more importantly, let him get to know me--uh, "us") if not through social contact.

I mean, I can generally find excuses to be near other work areas if need be, but that's not the best way to keep on schedule as far as food and drink production is concerned. After all, I want at least a few Roasts to head out on the next caravan to the Mountainhome, so that my teachers can see that Regaval's dietary needs are in good hands and that their lessons were taken to heart... That can't happen, I was told by Nordinkel, unless there's a surplus in the mountain.

Well... If they want a "surplus" I'll give them a surplus, by Armok! It's not like our Butcher balks at the thought of performing her duties, for which I am grateful.

Though it would be much easier if we could just trade for more female animals to milk or even just breed so we'd have more meat in a few years once the young mature...

And TacoMagic still won't let me share any of my creations with the other half of our population... I can hear some of them crying for food outside the confines of the mountain and it tears at my heart a bit... I didn't learn to cook and brew only to have Dwarves starving within my own community. And they are in my community, even with this insanity imposed by Nordinkel and embraced by TacoMagic for some unknown reason. (She's still talking about paving something or another and I've stopped really listening to her on that point.)

Maybe with all the stockpiles in the "neutral" area, I can find a way to smuggle a barrel or two of Roasts to those in need? Maybe even just Biscuits, though I'd hate to make such simple food...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:26:23 am by Chimerat »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »

Better late, than never.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:02:31 pm by EinsteinSatDown »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 01:53:23 am »

Gloveloved Year 2: Fall

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:37 am »

Ninth Entry: Downhill...

So... It's come to this then?

I'd heard word that one of our fellows went mad because TacoMagic refused to give them access to our supplies. When you're in a Mood the Fort complies, darnit!

At least he didn't starve to death, I suppose... At least not yet. I don't think any Dwarf who failed to fulfill their Mood ever recovers enough to want to enjoy food or drink again.

I wonder if TacoMagic's paving project will work out before she goes crazy and rids us of her influence.

Still need to get that barrel of roasts to the needy if I can manage it. The supplies from the caravan are more than enough to go around. There was even trade for alcohol for some odd reason. Is my Still not good enough for Nordinkel then?

The need is pressing with the arrival of even more Dwarves that are forbidden from entering the mountain with the rest of us who arrived first. For the moment, I'm dragging my feet on reminding the hauler to move things around. Maybe I won't have to help those outside the mountain if they just...help themselves first?

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 11:56:27 am »

17th Limestone 251

Etur managed to collapse a scaffold on himself. Idiot.

27th Limestone 251

More hopefuls in the Slum. Many more. Maybe my chance for more power. Must consult with Wood-Queen. Too many potential wrongdoers for one lonesome Sheriff to handle...

21st Sandstone 251

The rooms Omeganaut built for us are nice. Spacious. Bit rough, but he says he's got some slummies working on that. Omeganaut low on potential enemies list. Still high risk of me being wrong - he likes slummies. Must keep watching.

19th Timber 251

Whispers Omeganaut's getting a militia together. Danger. Compromises my authority. Whoever he assigned as their leader will be getting interrogated. Just need to find the fuck. Must push for more power, dedicated soldiers, good weapons. With dwarvish steel behind me slummies will bleed. Oh yes they will bleed.

28th Timber 251

Finally. I am Captain of the Guard of Glovedloved, Mountain of Kings, and those that live within and without. First order of business, whippers thugs soldiers peacekeepers. Etur is an idiot, but an idiot who can survive a log falling on his neck. He'll be the first. After me, of course. I always fancied a suit of plate and a nice whip. Maybe a sword as well. So many ways to hurt.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:24 pm »

Gloveloved Year 2: Winter

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 11:32:03 pm by Tacomagic »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 10:23:41 am »

Tenth Entry: Ding-Dong...

Alright... So I need to fix my priorities a little.I was focused so much on trying to get food out to the starving masses and I forgot to produce any drink... I now suspect that Nordinkel did well to trade for some with the last caravan, but I certainly hope we shall never have that need again...

Perhaps the next arrivals to be welcomed into our lonesome insanity will be males... Males who might be able to control Still or Kitchen while I work the other. Keeping one idle all the time just hits me as being a horrible waste...

Oh, and we don't need to bother with tacomagic anymore! (Yup, no more capitals for you, you utterly crazy she-Dwarf!)

To think, after all the drink and roasts that she's consumed, and all the suffering she imposed on the other half of our population, she went and killed herself in some public display of insanity that she apparently though was the peak of Dwarven Civilization.

Good riddance! Time to go and join that party now. ...Maybe after a few more barrels of drink.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 09:25:35 pm »

Gloveloved year 3 Spring
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:37:23 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 07:48:29 am »

Eleventh Entry: New Year, New Overlord

Seems Neblime has taken over the job of she-who-took-the-Coward's-leap at the end of last year.

Hopefully she's slightly more sane.

I was drawn to the entrance of the mountain by screams and saw some sort of furry creature slaughtering our fellows.

Of course Neblime didn't order anyone to help, though this time I can nearly understand that. We have so few of us in this mountain and only one of us (I believe) has bothered with any combat training.

Still...it was hard to get back to work with that horror ringing in my ears.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 05:52:38 am »

Gloveloved year 3 Spring (cont.)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2014, 06:36:32 am »

Twelfth Entry: No More Sanity...

Neblime is no more sane than tacomagic was...or is. Apparently she's still alive, but other Dwarves are not. I managed a quick conversation with a Dwarf from the outside who came in to sample one of my Roasts. Before directing him to the correct stockpile I learnt that not only was she still alive but that the survivors of the furry beast's attack did not last through the next month...

Now everyone has been given permission to haul items, so I can no longer leave the ingredients out where the other, more needy half of our population can have access.

My plan to somehow smuggle out a barrel of Roasts is revived.

Of course, that will be a little difficult seeing as how we're not allowed to store anything in the barrels, but I'm sure I can manage something if I set my mind to it!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 10:08:38 am »

Excerpt from the journal of TacoMagic Rigņthigėr, Priestess of the Followers of the Path,

Mid-Spring, 252,

I honestly have no idea how long I was bedridden, but it has been long enough.  I hear the Path calling to me and it is time I end this convelescence.  In the morning, I will finally embrace my destiny and join the others on the Path.

In the wake of the attack by that horrible creature, it is important now more than ever that the prospects have someone to lead them spiritually.  I thought at first that would be Kaladin, but while she is eager to follow the Path, her learning of Ordin Tredlek's teaching is recent and incomplete.  The Followers unanimously declared that I shall serve as their priestess.

I am honored beyond words.  This destiny is much different than the one I imagined when I pulled the lever.  I shall do my best to honor the Path and follow this new course it had laid before me.

16th Slate, 252,

With both my legs and an arm made useless in the fall, I am finding it difficult to contribute to the great works of West Glovedloved.  But I will prevail in doing some small part.  In times when I am not speaking to the prospects of the Path, I have taken it upon myself to start moving the large amount of wood that is scattered on the country side.  I was once the Queen of wood, so now I shall be a prospect of wood.  Perhaps the act of dragging myself with my one good arm to collect and ferry these logs to the stockpile will aid me in achieving the humility I lacked while I was a Sacrifice.

Then again, it might not be amiss if some of the Followers could make me some kind of wheeled platform for me.  My dress is much worse for wear after the repeated dragging.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:45:30 pm by Tacomagic »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2014, 10:40:31 am »

The dwarf with the iron mask sat down on the edge of his bed, pulling out a scroll of paper, a quill, and a bottle of ink.  Such supplies were difficult to acquire these days, but as a member of the priesthood he had certain rights the average peasant didn't.  He began to write:

First Entry of The Masked Priest: Spring, 252
My recent arrival at the fortress has brought it to my attention that the situation here is worse than we thought.  At least three major factions exist in this fortress, lording over the peasant class I have found myself in.  While the mountain dwarves acknowledge my status as a priest, but without a larger priesthood they have no place for me in my duties.  This has given me more time to work and observe the plight of the peasants here in Glovedloved.

This fortress is torn by division, my brothers and sisters.  They have taking up petty quarrels with each other over their status within an arbitrary class system, forgetting that when we die we are all the same before Our Lord Armok.  I will make it my mission to unite the fortress into a single unit, all dwarves equal to each other, so that when they die they will be viewed favorably by Our Lord Armok.  There are many tombs to consecrate and many soldiers to bless, and without official support I will be unable to fulfill my duties as a priest of Our Lord Armok.  I have my eye out for dwarves who remain righteous and pious, that they may be offered a spot within our priesthood and aid in my tasks.

Finishing writing, the dwarf carefully stowed his writing supplies back where they came from, then placed his hand over his heart in the shape of a claw, whispering, "Praise be to Our Lord Armok, savior of dwarvenkind and lord of war everlasting."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4