Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Largest playable region/embark  (Read 2243 times)

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Largest playable region/embark
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:06 pm »

I'm currently running a 3x6 embark on a 65x65 small region of my own design. It seems to be stuttering quite a bit. It runs fine for about 15-30 seconds or so then hangs for a good 5-10 seconds (or more). I really haven't even started yet (just digging into the mountain).

What's the largest embark/region size anyone has been able to play on with relatively decent (30+) FPS?
99 little bugs in the code. 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
117 bugs in the code.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Largest playable region/embark
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:02:30 am »

I played on a 5x5 for a while in 34.11.  Wasn't too bad.  Think it remained above 50fps for the first four years or so.

Largest I've done in 40.xx is 4x4 (which is the same total area as your embark).  Seemed to work fine for me, at least for the first four years or so.  Not sure what hardware you're running on, so that could be the difference.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:54 am »

I normally play 4x4 or 5x5. I'm not sure how good my computer is, but it's better than my old one. I can run 100 fps until about 30 dwarves. Then, BAM! 30-40.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:12:36 am »

I'm doing a 5x5 in a large region for my only fort in the new version (so far..) Does have a stream waterfall of a few Z levels, but i'm getting a steady 30FPS using an intel Core i7 920. FPS doesn't really seem to have been effected by population growth so far, but we will see as i'm only sitting at 60 something dwarves at present.
Disturbingly, however, when running the game on my laptop (I live away from home for 2 weeks out of 3), which is something i've only just started doing now, i'm getting a steady 25 FPS, and its a 4 year old core I5 mobile chip. I'm actually starting to wonder if the FPS counter is actually accurate.
Magma is overrated.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 05:27:41 am »

I'm running a 3x5 across an ocean strait. The fps is killer (20ish), but that may be the constructed causeway.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Geoclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 07:28:31 am »

The number of Z Levels has an impact on your frame rate? That explains a lot... I went with 50 above the first cavern level and 5 for each cavern level...
That sucks, since I found such a great embark. Oh well, guess I'll have to do something less like 30/1/1/1/1/1... 15 wasn't enough while having to deal with aquifers... do Aquifers affect frame rate (even when untapped)?
99 little bugs in the code. 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
117 bugs in the code.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »

Pretty sure aquifers only detectably affect the frame rate if they're causing water flows.

To add to the list of anecdotes, I was able to run a 4x4 embark at 80 FPS or so for a game year on an i7 of some variety.  I terminated the game pretty early though, so I have no idea how that scales with time or population.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 06:21:14 am »

I usually go 6x6 but I pulled off an 8x8. Don't ask me about framerate, because I don't remember. It was fairly slow, but I don't mind that.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »

In 40.13 a 5x5 fort with all 3 cavern layers breached and tons of miasma, and 50 dwarves teeters around 50 FPS for me.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:10 pm »

4x4 is my standard embark, and it works fine for me. I once tried 10x10 and I got it to work briefly before crashing iirc. I'll have to try it again, but on a tiny world with no history.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 05:00:56 pm »

3x3 embark on "smaller" (31x31) world w/ a few hundred years of history, maybe 3x4 embark

I'll probably move from my FX-8350 to a Haswell i7-4790K next month (which should give me about 50% more FPS).

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:30:21 pm »

The number of Z Levels has an impact on your frame rate? That explains a lot... I went with 50 above the first cavern level and 5 for each cavern level...
That sucks, since I found such a great embark. Oh well, guess I'll have to do something less like 30/1/1/1/1/1... 15 wasn't enough while having to deal with aquifers... do Aquifers affect frame rate (even when untapped)?
what do you even do with that many z-levels? I never run out of space even on a 2x2 with 5/1/1/1/1.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:48:40 am »

Obviously you build a labyrinth and stick some minotaurs in it.  :P

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 01:18:18 am »

4x4 is my standard embark, and it works fine for me. I once tried 10x10 and I got it to work briefly before crashing iirc. I'll have to try it again, but on a tiny world with no history.
it could work just reduce the Z layers (like no cave/magma/HFS and it will work as charm)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime