Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let's play Simutrans Pak128 - A song of beer and milk.  (Read 10451 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Let's play Simutrans Pak128 - A song of beer and milk.
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 07:18:27 pm »

You plop a platform, then you plop add-ons around it to keep contiguity, then you tear down the inbetween fillers.

Like:

P= Platform
F= Filler - like those station buildigns, warehouses, flat concrete slabs, or even bus stops if crossing a prebuilt road.
X = empty tile.

Code: [Select]
PPPPPP
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Then

PPPPPP
XXXXXF
XXXXXF
PPPPPP

Then you remove the two fillers

PPPPPP
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
PPPPPP

Now you have two platforms which are part of the same stop but not physically contigous as the game demands. You could in theory cover a whole city by sprawiling stops, but it is too exploity. I recall vaguely reading that simutrans has a mechanic in place to punish players for that too, as you pay extra maintenance based on the total X-Y square size of your "station", not only the base blocks. But I'm not sure.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Simutrans Pak128 - mmm Profits! -
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2014, 06:33:18 pm »

Missed all those last days update, thanks for lots of good reading to figure out some of my pak128 hard times.

an additional question following the coal/oil/something -> powerstation
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Out of getting a more or less small but at least constant positive profit of this specific kind of route as USEC_OFFICER mentionned, one of the additional use of it was electricity that i redirected to other factories in order to either boost their production or consumption to avoid sometime trains waiting too much time in stations when a factory produce too slowly or make some trains stuck because another factory does not consume the overstocks i already moved to them .

Now in your company various development i don't see the use of electricity from powerstation, is there a reason you decided to not power the factories ?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »

Power lines can also carry a company.  I've had train lines barely lose profit, but the power line they supply have a 130% margin.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 10:02:58 pm »

Power lines in small maps can bring a profit but on my continental-scale map the sheer distances I have to cover with them make the power delivery very unprofitable by itself - but it still is drastically synergistic with factories and you can get an overall greater profit by electrifying. . That's pretty much why I haven't electrified stuff yet. I don't have enough capital and breathing space to justify electrification (yet), since the closest power plant from my activities is at least 1000 tiles away. - plus due to our shitty 1930's vehicles, I'm already staurating the carry capacity of the brewery-market/farm/dairy double line without having to overcharge the factory productions.

All in all simutrans and pak128's elegance lies on these subtleties. There's a proper time and place for everything.. at least in early game. They do have plans to rebalance the airplanes (main cash cows) and other stuff to keep the punishing difficulty later on.

Also,  budget mode has a submode exclusively for power lines, if you want to be sure if they are giving you profits or losses by themselves.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:05:34 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 05:59:55 am »

Thanks i see better

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 03:51:39 pm »

This is on hiatus atm, I'm a bit busy with real life demands. Also I'm spending my free time playing around in 3dsmax and producing assets for simutrans

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nuclear age is coming to pak128!

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 2 [3]