Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minotaur labyrinth?  (Read 4246 times)

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minotaur labyrinth?
« on: October 23, 2014, 08:35:11 pm »

I'm considering making a nice labyrinth to house a newly captured minotaur, into which I can toss various victims.

Has anyone ever tried something like this?  Is it safe to leave him in a willow cage while I do the construction or does he need better containment?

TY for your thoughts :D

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaur labyrinth?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »

Any cage he's currently in will keep him contained, regardless of materiel/quality.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:44:22 pm »

This has been done over and over, although I haven't heard of anyone bragging about it yet this version.  So, new version, new ai, new mazes!

Im not sure how to find the threads reliably, except searching for the words minotaur and maze.  Post pics!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »

YIKES!  I don't mean to sound boastful at all.  With my engineering skills this is bound to backfire spectacularly but I like giving myself side projects and trying things I haven't done before.

If it ends up being worth a pic I'll be back :D

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:19:46 am »

Boasting is fine, mahaha! Its only natural to want a labyrinth for your minotaur.. It'd be like having a hermit crab with no shell :| Just smooth the walls anywhere he could potentially climb out, and then set up a cage trap or three to absolutely prevent him from sneaking out someday when you're not watching..

And in the center of the labyrinth you should build a bedroom.. and then you'll probably accidentally have a dwarf-child burrowed in it when you finalize the labyrinth and pull the lever to release the minotaur.. It'll be tragic..

Just be sure to release the kid from the burrow after the minotaur is freed, though, so the kid at least gets a running start ;)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:07:41 am »

The "problem" with this idea is that, in general, bad guys tend not to attack each other. If you dropped some goblins in there, the minotaur would probably just play Scrabble with them. If it's imminent peril you want, you'll have to use fortress dwarves, or at the very least merchants (or their guards / animals). If you want to follow the legend, you'll have to sacrifice 7 male & 7 female children, every 7 years. (Not a bad way to get rid of kids, actually.) But if you want to be sporting, you could scatter food & drink all around the labyrinth, store a suit of armor & a really good weapon at the center, and only drop in children that are only a short time away from turning 12 years old. If they can evade the minotaur long enough, you can put them into a squad, give them a uniform, and watch them shed blood for the blood god.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:23:30 am »

Wasn't there a story from the dorf child care thread where the kids just climbed all over a captive minotaur or something and were happy for a while until it hit one and they promptly ripped it apart with their little mitten clad fists?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140588.msg5613424#msg5613424

Was a captive ogre, they just climbed on it for a while, it tried to hit them but they're all legendary dodgers, then they finally splattered it all over the room.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:25:10 am by Max™ »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:38:22 am »

My hero.  only mirant children  under the age of 10.  the rest get a bad rap.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:58 am »

Ahh, the cave ogre episode... good times, good times.

Relevant to this thread the same fort also got couple captured Minotaurs that I even modded tameable and trainable, for breeding purposes. It didn't really work; the children kept killing them when they lashed randomly at bystanders. Too bad.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:49:43 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:40:20 pm »

You keep it unconnected to the Fortress and use it as the dungeon. Build a genuine prison over top of it, with a trap door to drop the prisoners in one at a time. After that, let the fun times begin.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:46:33 pm »

One very enjoyable thing to do is have it set up with a drawbridge that closes into a wall. Send in a single warrior, and have him test himself against the assembled monsters. I had one recruit become a master after fighting off two minotaurs, an ettin and cyclops, and a hydra. Plus a bunch of naked goblins.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 03:20:38 pm »

The problem there is refilling the place with anything but goblins. You have to capture and move it all in there, and it's a labor intensive thing to do. Not that you're unlikely to have spare labor sitting around in bedrooms and dining halls.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »

Ahh, the cave ogre episode... good times, good times.

Relevant to this thread the same fort also got couple captured Minotaurs that I even modded tameable and trainable, for breeding purposes. It didn't really work; the children kept killing them when they lashed randomly at bystanders. Too bad.
I was actually thinking of the later quote with the minotaur that you accidentally left a path to reach so the kids "swarmed over it and beat it to death with their little mitten clad fists... scary" but didn't see the post til later.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 05:01:44 am »

I was actually thinking of the later quote with the minotaur that you accidentally left a path to reach so the kids "swarmed over it and beat it to death with their little mitten clad fists... scary" but didn't see the post til later.

Later there were two other Minotaurs but they met the same end despite being war trained... Minotaurs make lousy babysitters.

All in all, I'm disappointed with Minotaurs being such pushovers; I'd recommend pitting a titan or a FB to the labyrinth in question, for some real challenge.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:20:08 am »

Yup, in one of my early forts I had a scrawny Minotaur arrive. I scrambled a squad to meet him in battle. He disabled/killed one of my dwarves, but died pretty easily afterwards.

I know they have high weapons skills, but I don't know if they come armed and armored.
Pages: [1] 2