Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt - Assault at Daybreak  (Read 12111 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
[SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt - Assault at Daybreak
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:12:25 pm »

CLOSE COMBAT

Kaizer Nhel has declared war against the Ultimate Enemy on behalf of the nation of Londia. Upon word of this decision, the citizenry rejoiced and much merrymaking was to be had. Amidst jubilant celebration the Holy Emperor subsequently decreed his generals to begin the offensive. It was then, on the eve of the year Holistic Century 0090, that the Lord Marshal Johannes Sink ordered his troops to begin the advance into southern Hauzland.

The 1st Mobile Infantry Division begin their journey across the bocage country, the first step in the march for the Hauzer heartland and the capital of Gibalt, the ultimate goal being the seizure of the state heads and the surrender of the Hauzer leadership. In the fight for the south country, the 4th Airborne lead the way for the Londian army, their first task in paving the Road to Gibalt is the seizure of Arnho.

The Hauzer countryside is a maze of hedgerows with cores of stone, built up over centuries of plowing to protect farmer's crops from the coastal wind. Journeying directly across the countryside has proved an offensive nightmare against the entrenched Hauzer militias and the army desperately needs highways to use as secure supply lines in order to move men and equipment to the frontline. A special detachment belonging to the 1st Mobile Infantry Division, the 4th Special Brigade Airborne Fusiliers, 1st Cavalry Company Knights, Hokuten Chapter are deployed to the Arnho region to secure the town ahead of time. This marks the first major engagement of the war.

World
The game proper takes place in an alternate universe somewhat resembling 1940s Europe during the time of the Second World War. There is some soft science tech, for example the armored assault-lander airships that the Londian Fusiliers sometimes make use of.

Rules
The scope of the game is limited to scenarios: realistic, company-level conflicts amongst 2 or more battlegroups. There is no rolling in this game. Game decisions are arbitrated based upon the player's decisions within the context of the conflict, taking into account the position and condition of his troops. The distances at which units move will not be precise (this will become more clear once you actually see the map) since we're not playing on a tabletop and there's no convenient way to use measurement to move units on a non-grid map in a play-by-post game. I don't want to deal with trying to make up complicated rules with lots of fancy maths, so we make the ultimate sacrifice by trading !!SCIENCE!! for playability. Stuff will play out how it plays out, do not test my patience by arguing with me over a loss, that said I'll try to make my conclusions as logically as possible!

The following factors (based directly on mechanics from the series this game is inspired by) are vital and should be considered when giving your men orders:

Mental Condition: The combatants' morale is affected by factors such as being near officers, being supported by other units, being under fire, taking casualties, and being left without orders. Troops are Stable when they are in no danger; Cowering when pinned down by heavy enemy fire; or Panicked when surrounded by dead comrades, wounded or near enemy shock weapons such as flamethrowers or armor. Units will not follow suicidal orders. Attempting to zerg the enemy will result in units seeking cover, refusing to obey orders or even deserting.
Experience: Reserve units or newly replaced troops will fire and move more slowly and be more likely to panic. They are unlikely to prevail against veteran troops.
Ammunition: The game will model the amount of ammunition each unit possesses. Troops in a heavy firefight will quickly run out of ammunition. Once out of ammunition they will resort to bayonet fighting, or surrender to any enemies that approach them, although they could also scavenge weapons or ammunition from fallen friendly and enemy soldiers.
Physical State: Troops can be Healthy; Injured by enemy fire (in which case they will move and fire more slowly); Incapacitated if enemy fire caused the soldier to be unable to fight; and finally Dead. Being wounded is a condition that is only relevant during combat, you need not manage incapacitated units. Anyone who isn't Dead will be restored to Healthy status when the battle is over.
Stamina: Troops can be Rested; Winded after exerting themselves, in which case they will move slowly until they are rested again; and Fatigued, after prolonged exertion, which will slow them down for the rest of the battle.

---

A couple things shall need to be voted on before we continue:

-Troop Conservation-
Casual (There will always be enough troops to win, your unit is constantly at full strength and they always have at least a small pool of veterans. Troop conservation is not a concern and though players can still lose battles the campaign will never become unwinnable because they have taken too many casualties.)
OR
Hardcore (You have a limited pool of units that are periodically reinforced by replacements. If you often take full casualties the enemy can begin to outveteran and outnumber you in later battles.)

-Difficulty-
Easy (If you lose a critical battle, you can try again with more troops.)
OR
Normal (You have to live with your defeats, battles cannot be redone.)
OR
!!FUN!! (The GM won't pull any punches! He'll do his damnedest to fairly deceive and torture the players!)

Spoiler: Units Types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Soldier States (click to show/hide)
Code: (Rifle Section) [Select]
[Light Cover]      [Grenades: 5 Smoke: 4 Demo: 1]
Habens | Leader    | MC:Suppressed   EXP:Experienced  PS:Wounded        STA:Winded  |  Lupet .45 [12]
Lory   | Assistant | MC:Panicked     EXP:Green        PS:Healthy        STA:Winded  |  Rifle No.4 Mk I [31]
Uller  | Soldier   | MC:Unconscious  EXP:Experienced  PS:Incapacitated  STA:Winded  |  Rifle No.4 Mk I [45]
Adkins | Soldier   | MC:Surpressed   EXP:Experienced  PS:Wounded        STA:Winded  |  Rifle No.4 Mk I [46]
Horker | Soldier   | MC:---          EXP:Experienced  PS:Dead           STA:---     |  Rifle No.4 Mk I [50]

Spoiler: Armies of Londia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armies of Hauzland (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Londian Names (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hauzer Names (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:47:25 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:46 pm »

Troop Conservation: Hardcore
Difficulty: !!FUN!!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »

Difficulty: Normal

This looks raw. Let's do it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:39:20 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:42:37 pm »

+1~

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:49 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:47 am »

PTW
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:28:21 am »

Started the breakdown on the Londlars Army. See the OP if you mind those kinds of details.

Votes so far:

Troop Conservation
Casual:  0
Hardcore:  4

Difficulty
Easy:  0
Normal:  0
!!FUN!!:  4

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 07:04:42 am »

Oooh. PTW and voting for Hardcore/!!FUN!!
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:38:46 am »

Oooh. PTW and voting for Hardcore/!!FUN!!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:38:54 am »

Shit, I meant Normal. I'm changing it.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:30:38 am »

Hardcore and normal

also, what's going to be the format?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »

+1
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »

Hardcore Normal, if you please.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »

Hardcormal.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 08:09:52 pm »

Looks like !!FUN!! wins! :D The advance begins soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8