Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt - Assault at Daybreak  (Read 12091 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2014, 08:22:13 pm »

The way I'm doing this, it's going to take a bit for me to set up. But once I'm done it should be fine.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2014, 10:57:11 am »

*Awaits deployment eagerly*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2014, 09:37:25 pm »

PTW

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:36 am »

The order to advance is given and the Londians approach the town cautiously.

The groups arrived at the agreed positions and report no resistance. Arnho has the appearance of having been evacuated and the enemy has not been spotted yet, worryingly. They're more than likely hidden in and amongst the buildings, they had ample time to possibly prepare and disguise entrenchments and other fortifications. The 20mm gun the 1st company scouts encountered was reported to be near the crossroads, and since then it has been relocated, the remnants of the emplacement can be discerned.

Great care must be taken in this assault, friendly fire is a risk if both sides approach simultaneously from opposite directions. If the enemy is reinforced, it will be from the north, in the direction of the Hauzer heartland.

Quote from: Basics of Initiative
When it is your initiative, you give orders to the units you want to act with. Units can move as much as they want, and they'll keep moving unless they're interrupted by enemy fire.

If the enemy sees your movement and decides to react, there is a chance they will interrupt the unit's movement with their gunfire and that unit will become pinned down. If a unit becomes pinned down that means that they're feeling threatened enough that they will stop dead in their tracks and seek cover. Pinned troops are reluctant to move and thus vulnerable to flanking, the longer they remain in this condition the worse their morale becomes.

You can order your troops in any way (movement, fire and so on) and in any order during your initiative, and keep doing so until one of your actions fails; then the initiative passes on to his opponent. For example: you order a squad to suppress an enemy, but they fail to put down enough fire to cause them to be pinned because the building they're in provides them excellent cover and they're comprised mostly of veterans, the initiative then passes to the enemy.

Spoiler: Clean Overlay (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)

RED GROUP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BLUE GROUP

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:37 pm »

If enemy reinforcements arrive from the north, we should consider the possibility of us needing to blow up that northern bridge.

Red Group
Move the northern mortars along the stone hedges towards the bridge, but stay in cover.
Have 1 squad stick with them, and have the other two cross the river, and hide in the trees.

Have the southern mortars move closer to the edge of the forest, but stay hidden.
Have the first and second squad move up to the river, but stay low.
Have the third platoon move up to the stone hedge.

Blue Group
Have the green squads distribute themselves amongst the hedges, from AH10, down to their current position.
Cyan teams move up to AE20, and sees if they can enter the buildings.
LARNO team stays at the hedges, and keeps ready to fire.
Move the sniper to the building at AJ12, get to the second floor. Roof if possible.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:34 pm »

If enemy reinforcements arrive from the north, we should consider the possibility of us needing to blow up that northern bridge.
The bridges are not important, since reinforcements arriving quickly enough to participate in this battle would have to use the highway to get there. I've highlighted the highway in red in the spoilered image to make this more clear. Besides that infantry can very easily wade the river anyways.

I've also drawn a big black arrow which is pointing in the direction of the ocean. You're not so terribly close to it that the enemy couldn't swing around and attack from the west, but it is a significant detour.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2015, 10:19:49 pm »

Ah, thank you for that info.

Ok, bridge gets to live.

Anyone want to edit my suggestions? I think they should be good, we just don't need to worry about the bridge.
The Derail Thread

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »

Red Group Orders

Yellow Squad 1 (AKA the Platoon HQ) should move forward to G13 using the forest as cover before sneaking into the river bed and setting up along the far bank ready to fire on any hostiles in that building on K 10~12. Active orders are to hold fire unless fired upon.
Yellow Squad 3 is to move forward to G14 following the same methods as Squad 1 to set up along the bank. Active orders are to hold fire unless fired upon.

Yellow Squad 2 is to move towards E29 by heading south through the forest to prepare to capture that lone building. Active orders are to hold fire unless fired upon.

Orange Platoon is to move east and take up position behind those stone fences along the river bank to prepare for moving southward into the forest flanking the K10~12 building.

Mortar Squad 1 moves to J3 and sets up behind that stone hedge.
Mortar Squad 2 moves to F14 and hunkers down in the forest there.

Blue Group Orders
Green Platoon Squad 1 moves to AJ 16 and sets up to cover Squad 2.
Squad 2 will move northwest to AI 12 staying low and sticking to cover where they can to sneak up on the building to the west.
Squad 3 will move to AI 17 and set up as well.

Our Sniper, Pierce, will move to AI 22 and set up to provide covering fire for Blue Platoon Squads 2 and 3.
The LARNO will move to AH 24 and set up to provide covering fire as well.

Once the Sniper and LARNO are in place Blue Platoon Squads 2 & 3 will begin making their way across to the buildings at AE 19 staying low, and alert for any signs of danger.
Platoon HQ Squad will stay behind to in case of resistance.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2015, 01:26:15 am »

Looking it over, I back Adwarf.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:58:57 am by Xanmyral »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:42 am »

Here's the movement for Adwarf's plan since that's the one being supported AtM. If there are no objections this will be followed by an update.

E: All units will hold fire unless fired upon, but they will defend themselves. All units are in a sneaking posture: they'll move as slowly as necessary while using cover where possible in order to maximize stealth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:08:16 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:45 am »

Posting to watch, for now.  May give suggestions later.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Close Combat: Road to Gibalt - Assault at Daybreak
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2015, 09:47:21 am »

Adwarf's plan is considerably more thought-out than mine. +1
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:02 pm »

Red Group
- Yellow 1 (HQ) and Yellow 3 (Grenadier) advance and come under rifle fire from the 3-story structure East of their position, but it's sporadic and unfocused. The two squads reach the excellent cover provided by the bank of the river without incident and under the guidance of the Platoon HQ they together return fire on the 3-story building. The counterattack is well coordinated and as a result the enemy's rate of fire weakens slightly. Enemy under effective suppression! They experience reduced RoF and awareness as men become more reluctant to expose themselves.
- Yellow 3 spots some breastworks SE of their position, the trenches are occupied by riflemen and what looks like a squad of engineers.
- Yellow 2 (Rifle) enter the building and discover a whole squad of riflemen there! The enemy were expecting the advance to come from a different direction and are caught off guard! Yellow 2 use 5 grenades, killing most of the enemy squad. The survivors immediately throw down their weapons and surrender. Sgt. Bryan knows Osmond speaks Hauzer and orders him to ask the soldiers who they are. "They claim to be Ersatz, sergeant." "Bloody Nora sergeant they're only a bunch of kids."

Code: (Hauzer Militia Squad) [Select]
??? | Leader    |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Dead     STA:Rested     |  NP40 [115]
??? | Assistant |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Dead     STA:Rested     |  NP40 [115]
??? | Soldier   |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Dead     STA:Rested     |  J.98k [55]
??? | Soldier   |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Dead     STA:Rested     |  J.98k [55]
??? | Soldier   |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested     |  J.98k [55]
??? | Soldier   |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Wounded  STA:Rested     |  J.98k [55]
??? | Soldier   |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Incap    STA:Rested     |  J.98k [55]
??? | Soldier   |  MC:Healthy  EXP:Green  PS:Healthy  STA:Rested     |  J.98k [55]

- Orange Platoon finish their sneak move unopposed.

- Silver Platoon finish their sneak move unopposed.

Blue Group
- Green Platoon finish their sneak move unopposed.

- Blue Platoon finish their sneak move unopposed.

- Pink 1 (LARNO) spots a trench occupied by enemy riflemen lying in ambush to their direct West and orient the autorifle in their direction.
- Pink 2 (Sniper) finishes his sneak move, then spots an enemy rifleman squad hidden in the building ahead of him.

Londian 1st Cavalry retain the initiative.

Spoiler: Clean Overlay (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)

RED GROUP

BLUE GROUP

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:18:06 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2015, 11:26:11 pm »

The following is my general plan.

Right, Pink 2 is to take out any officers or Non-coms he can find, Pink 1 is to take out that group if needed
Second Blue heads farther in to that cluster of buildings, flanking round to the north, and First Blue heads up into AF11 and AG11, ready to head across the street. Second Red is to cross the river into the woods, heading down to the building at K11a and O9, with the 3ed squad digging into the woods
Third Red should get ready to shell anything that needs shelling
Squads One and Three of First Red should stay put, with squad two camping out that building, ready to defend.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2015, 03:17:24 pm »

Yellow 1 and Yellow 3 should continue to engage with the enemy of the 3-story building.
Yellow 2 should take the building and only engage with the enemy if they are spotted or the Hauzers begin firing on Yellow I and III's position.
Silver II should shell the soldiers entrenched in breastwork.
Orange Platoon and Silver I should stay hidden in Bocage and see if they need to ambush enemy units heading to aid their comrades in the supressed 3-story building.
Green II should sneak into the 2-story building next to them.

I'm not sure if we should attack the 2 western eastern riflemen squad now or see if they get out of their trenches and buildings to move eastwards.

EDIT: I guess we might as well have both Blue and Red Groups begin attacking the enemy.
Blue II & III should move one building west and begin firing at the enemy in the building.
Pink Platoon should begin firing at the enemy.
Green II should move building AF17 while Green I stays behind to cover them.
Blue I should fire at the enemy, but if they can not from their position, they should reposition south to the Bocage.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:16:26 pm by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8