Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My magazine's Youtube channel is live!  (Read 557 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
My magazine's Youtube channel is live!
« on: October 24, 2014, 05:29:33 am »

It took a lot of persuading to get permission to start this Youtube channel for the magazine, mainly so I can do game reviews. I will be doing most, if not all, of the video editing, and all of the game-related materials. Right now it's very bare-bones -- I'll have to work on the channel art from home, since I don't have photoshop here and GIMP makes me want to murder someone. Any suggestions are welcome (regarding the design -- I don't have much control over what videos we make, though I'm happy for feedback on my game videos). Also, I hate to beg for views and likes, but the more successful this is, the more game videos I'll be allowed to make, so if you can find it in your hearts to click thumbs up and subscribe, I'd really appreciate it!

Channel main page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYBN_XwLg3uIwhTS1njfo_w
Stanley Parable video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU-TrV4m-Bw

Please let me know how it looks (again, I'll try to make the banner look nicer tonight or over the weekend) and offer me any and all suggestions on how to make it better.

Thanks guys!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: My magazine's Youtube channel is live!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:19:59 am »

Not bad, you need some more experience, but that should come with time. I left a comment on your SP video with some advice. Good luck with the YouTube business.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:08 am »

Thanks for watching and for leaving feedback. Unfortunately I can't do anything about these things right now. It's a question of resources rather than experience. Until I get a better computer (December), I don't have the capability to record in better quality. Work refuses to help me buy a better computer since they're still not sold on these videos being important in any way. (I have to do all the work on them at home, in my spare time, until they change their minds.) Same situation with the sound. My only option for recording is a 10-year-old headset. The computer makes a lot of noise because it's a pile of shit, and the microphone picks up everything because it's a shitty old microphone. So I'd love to have better quality, but that will unfortunately take some time. I just don't have the money for the equipment yet. I will remember to balance the sound so my microphone is amplified a bit in the future, so thanks for that suggestion.

I also agree that it would have been better to play the intro video, but in that case I'm also blocked by The Boss, who insists that these videos must be as short as possible. As it is, I had to completely re-do the video to make it shorter once already. They're displeased that it's longer than 5 minutes. I guess it's because these videos are linked to via QR codes in the magazine, and they expect the readers to scan the codes and watch them on a phone, so they want them as short as possible so they don't lose interest. (I disagree that 5 minutes should be the maximum, but I'll have to persuade them of that bit by bit.)

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the feedback. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Basically, for now, I'm expected to keep these videos (clips, really) to a minimum length and just give the kids a taste, so those who find the videos without having read the magazine will want to buy the magazine and read more (for the chance to win the game and other exclusive goodies such as interviews with the developers). I also have to make sure to keep the language level as simple as possible. The next video will be for Space Engineers and has to be at an extremely basic English level -- there probably won't be much talking, and I'll have to subtitle the whole thing. On the other hand, I'll also have a video interview with the developers to add to it, so they probably won't let me put in much gameplay anyway. I hope I'll be permitted to do more with it in the future.

Edit: Oh, by the way, in case it isn't obvious from what I've posted, we're not earning money from the Youtube channel. No ads or anything. The videos are just an extra to complement the magazine and, hopefully, to advertise it a bit with links on Facebook and whatnot.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:33 pm »

Hmm, I think Im your first subscriber, sweet.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.