Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Delightfully Challenging Start  (Read 4263 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Delightfully Challenging Start
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

I thought trying to build over branches and such crashed the game. It's done that to me, at least.

Oh is that what's causing that?  Dammit. Even the bugs are trying to kill you in this embark.

Gotta cut down that tree then. Back to plan a.

(Edit)

Haha, victory!

7 dwarves, 1 wagon, and a metric crapton of dogs (seriously, why so many dogs?) alive and safe inside a small bunker (4x3 interior). I can carve fortifications into the walls and shoot zombies from it, and there's 11 aboveground tiles (not including the stairs) for farming and maybe even a single grazing animal.

The only thing marring this flawless embark was an injury, a small thing really, barely even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things, when a peregrine falcon zombie got close and, uh... tore out Eshtan's throat.

He's alive though! Unconsious and paralyzed from the neck down but alive!

We put him upstairs in the salt bunker. When he wakes up he can greet migrants through the fortifications and watch them get torn apart by the ravenous undead. Prime entertainment!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:41:29 pm by QuQuasar »

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 05:41:45 pm »

a metric crapton of dogs (seriously, why so many dogs?)

Dogs are food. Dogs are life. (until they get back up and try to kill you)

The only thing marring this flawless embark was an injury, a small thing really, barely even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things, when a peregrine falcon zombie got close and, uh... tore out Eshtan's throat.

He's alive though! Unconsious and paralyzed from the neck down but alive!

We put him upstairs in the salt bunker. When he wakes up he can greet migrants through the fortifications and watch them get torn apart by the ravenous undead. Prime entertainment!

Ach, it's just a flesh wound. Walk it off, Eshtan! Walk it off...
The silver is responsible for this How?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:59 pm »

a metric crapton of dogs (seriously, why so many dogs?)

Dogs are food. Dogs are life. (until they get back up and try to kill you)
Ah, I see!

I'm accustomed to a different strategy: embark with a dedicated (proficient) grower and cook (and get the expedition leader to do the brewing), go vegetarian until the autumn caravan arrives, and then trade them a couple barrels of roasts.

One dwarf doing all those jobs confused me.

Ach, it's just a flesh wound. Walk it off, Eshtan! Walk it off...

Based on the red spinal injury and the fact he didn't bleed out or suffocate, I think the undead falcon must have landed on the back of his neck, jammed it's beak in, and pulled out a vertebrae. Sometimes I forget how hardcore this game is...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:33:53 pm by QuQuasar »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »

7 dwarves, 1 wagon, and a metric crapton of dogs (seriously, why so many dogs?) alive and safe inside a small bunker (4x3 interior). I can carve fortifications into the walls and shoot zombies from it, and there's 11 aboveground tiles (not including the stairs) for farming and maybe even a single grazing animal.
teach me master!
I tried building walls but zombies climbed over them before I could put a roof :\
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 10:04:06 pm »

teach me master!
I tried building walls but zombies climbed over them before I could put a roof :\

Alright, here's how I did it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:51:50 am by QuQuasar »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 10:13:49 pm »

I tip my hat to you, sir.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 12:00:41 am »

Well geez, spell it out for people. ;p That's the key though, bravo.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 01:00:51 am »

This thread is like a very, very deadly game of Rush Hour...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:11 am »

Alternative, far simpler method that also works so long you don't mind dog blood everywhere:

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 08:20:20 am »

I think I will have to try the caving in..
every time I try to build walls something shows up just at the wrong time and scares all the dwarves away
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 04:33:15 pm »

Yay! 1 dwarven caravan safe and sound.

Had to savescum twice: once to avoid excessive post-mortem-elk-bird-induced cranial trauma throughout the entire fortress (all 7 dwarves were too busy to pull the "don't die" lever I guess) and a second time when I accidentally crushed one of their horses with the southern bridge and they immediately started packing up. It's almost like they found the sight of liquid horse dribbling down the doorway they just arrived through disturbing or something.

Of course, then I learn the hard way that I can't seize stuff from the dwarven caravan (which I guess makes sense in this case: they had 3 merchants and 4 fully-armed bodyguards. We had two picks, a wood axe and a cripple). I suggested that we *could* just leave the southern door open and let them be torn apart by undead, but they laughed it off as a joke and I was too embarrassed to clarify that I was dead serious.

So without anything of worth (normally I'd have mechanisms and prepared meals by now, but I took far too long getting stone and the embark wasn't set up for cooking), we ended up trading the only thing we had any of: wine and ale. Yes, I traded away booze. I will go down in the annals as dwarven histories greatest monster, but dammit we needed that anvil!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:42:50 pm by QuQuasar »

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:25 pm »

I would have just left them to the Undead and looted their corpses.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 07:32:40 pm »

They're still here so it's still an option, but I'm mostly worried about attracting the undead to the trade depot entrance. I don't trust them not to camp out in front of the door and ambush next years traders.

Plus something something smaller caravan next time something, but who cares about that anyway?

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 09:18:28 am »

To seize from dwarven caravans, deconstruct the trade depo while they are in it. You get absolutely everything they have, excluding what they are wearing and such. It counts as if you out-traded them to a rediculus degree, and not that you stole it. This can be employed with caravans of other races as well.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo
Pages: 1 [2]