Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: WIFOM Fortress - Night 4 - "Peerless visionary" floods fort with GCSs  (Read 58376 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: WIFOM Fortress - Year 1 - "STRIKE THE LAKE!"
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 03:48:04 pm »

NTQ - tell me who to strike off the dwarfing list.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 05:03:29 pm »

Reading the update and striking off names from there? Uggggggggggggh, so hard.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 05:12:10 pm »

Reading the update and striking off names from there? Uggggggggggggh, so hard.
Goddamn right. 

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 06:45:35 pm »

It turned out that there was exactly one tree in the immediate vicinity. The Dark Star swiftly chopped it down and promptly called it at that for the year.

Mid-summer, three new migrants arrived. They were Captain Kaladin Anrizlokum, a ranger from the old country, and his wife Deus Asmoth who claimed to be able to make 'potash', a form of powdered mash-potato, and her childhood friend the clothier Persus.

Jim looked at the Captain's shiny steel crossbow. "I think you'll find Saguaro wood is far superior."

Meanwhile in the sepulchral depths, Shakerag had mined down to a sight he hadn't quite anticipated. A strange cavern system with vast strangely coloured trees. The wood situation may not be as dire as they'd anticipated.

At about that time, some caravans came. It couldn't have come at a better time: the booze was running out. 4maskwolf had no idea what the shiny rocks they'd found in the ground were worth and the caravan master was struggled to contain his glee on making the exchange of uncut gems for booze, a few bolts and a bit of wood.

"How's the new fort going?" the liaison asked 4maskwolf, looking at the shining marble pier, at the end of which a pyramid of microcline was being built. Over in the corner, the billy goat they'd came with had starved to death. 4mask was okay with that, though it did make the place look a bit untidy.

Over on the south side, Jim was still running away from animals she was capably slaughtering. Hunting is tough when everything is terrifying.

"That's... a lot of microcline you've got there," said tonnot98 who had arrived on the growing pier with his fishing rod, along with some other hopeful migrants. NQT was standing before the small pyramid at the end of the pier.

"Everyone voted and apparently I've drawn the short straw in collapsing this," said NQT as he hacked away at the thin slither of stone leading to the pyramid. "Somebody said it'd help create a new area we could dig down into the lake. I think that's mad, but gotta be worth a try, right?"

Needless to say, it wasn't worth a try. The pyramid collapsed and kicked off a foul microcline dust. NQT fell into the water, clutching at his throat.

He never learned to swim and in moments he was drowned. NQT was a town doctor.

That night, while everyone went to their separate beds, a sense of unease fell across the settlers. Who exactly had put NQT up to this suicidal task? In the morning, they discovered more horror.

A hapless jeweller had been drowned in the night. Ineth Thobrul was a migrant jeweller. The remaining 16 dwarves turned to each other and started pointing fingers. There was a killer in their midst, possibly a team of them, and they must be found! Time to appoint an detective to oversee the proceedings...

Spoiler: Fort (click to show/hide)

Year 1 Save ((Here seemed a good point to end, so it's not quite the end of the year. Everyone is now dwarved. I took things incredibly easy, but we shouldn't starve or die of thirst or be invaded immediately.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:36 pm »

Two bodies already?  Sounds like things are off to a normal start.

Downloading the save now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:20 pm »

I like the role flips. Can we make that a rule?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:04 pm »

*gasp*

Oh no!

Also, what the hell is a crannog? Is it cranberry eggnog? Okay, that's what I'm convinced it is.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 05:25:54 am »

Role flips should definitely be a rule for every death.

A crannog is an artificial island, (usually just a hut at the end of a pier), which ancient scots would live in during times of trouble. By building on a lake, you save yourself the hassle of digging a moat.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 05:45:28 am »

Role flips should definitely be a rule for every death.

A crannog is an artificial island, (usually just a hut at the end of a pier), which ancient scots would live in during times of trouble. By building on a lake, you save yourself the hassle of digging a moat.
But...
The enemy can attack from behind us. The whole eastern front.
._.
Oh.
We're making the lake our moat.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 05:48:27 am »

Yep, there should now be loads of marble blocks to continue building the fort over the lake. Pressing F2 will take you to the marble mine if more stone is needed. If we forgoe making luxury goods for a while, our fort value should be low enough to avoid being attacked for a while.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 07:18:09 am »

Once again I am a useless cheese maker.

Excellent.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 07:35:09 am »

May I request dwarving as the next non-dead jeweler?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:17 am »

Going to actually start here shortly, but is there an expectation of a floating fort here?  I'm a digger at heart, but I'm totally cool with building on the lake as well.

NQT is right, though; this is an extremely defensible position, as long as cavern access isn't too compromising.  Threats from within will be worse than threats from without.

And that's TOTALLY how it should be.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:22 am »

Going to actually start here shortly, but is there an expectation of a floating fort here?  I'm a digger at heart, but I'm totally cool with building on the lake as well.

NQT is right, though; this is an extremely defensible position, as long as cavern access isn't too compromising.  Threats from within will be worse than threats from without.

And that's TOTALLY how it should be.
Oh pffy :P
You dig the materials, I'll shape up the fort and-...wait how're we making a fortress which goes through the la-oh! We're building a fortress on TOP of the lake!
...This'll take a while to haul and construct.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:57 am »

NQT already dug out a LOT of marble, and two mason shops are cranking out blocks.  As long as we have the labor, construction will be sooner rather than later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36