Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infinite carry capacity in adventure mode?  (Read 2354 times)

skycaptain95

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Infinite carry capacity in adventure mode?
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:10:45 am »

Does anyone know how to mod the game so I have infinite carry capacity in adventure mode?

What I mean is that while I can stuff entire mead halls into my backpack if I want to, my speed will drop dramatically after a certain point until it reaches 9.9% of normal.

If I ever enter combat at that speed, I will basically be instantly murdered without a chance to retaliate.

Can a modding wizard or experienced player show me how to make it so I can carry as much as I want without slowing down in adventure mode?

For your reference, my lame attempt at accomplishing this is below. If you know of a better way to modify carry capacity, please tell me, because this method is very flawed.

I read how to mod the game and decided to make a potion from—what else—my enemies' body parts. This is so when I kill something, I can immediately pick up the pieces and make some strength potions out of them. The problems are:

1. They are somehow classified as food items, so they fill up my hunger. I didn't mean to do this and I would like them to be consumable at-will without affecting my hunger or thirst meters, if possible. (so I can drink as many as I like at once)

2. They don't actually seem to be effective. Each potion only seems to increase my speed while heavily encumbered by .0001, *maybe?* It simply doesn't do enough. I could increase the strength effect, but that leads me to the next problem:

3. They increase strength. Since strength increases damage and carry capacity, if I were to get enough of it, I would be able to carry lots, **but** I would deal way too much damage. I'm trying to figure out a solution that allows me to carry as much as I want without making me an invincible titan. I removed the LAYERS_SLOW effect strength has on movement so that it can only increase speed, but it nonetheless seems to be negligible.

In order to make these potions I added the following to plant_standard.txt:

[PLANT:BALM_STRENGTH]
   [PREFSTRING:balm of strength]
   [NAME:balm of strength][NAME_PLURAL:balms of strength][ADJ:balm of strength]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:10]
      [DISPLAY_COLOR:4:0:0]
      [EDIBLE_RAW]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:balm of strength]
         [SYN_CONTACT]
         [SYN_INHALED]
         [SYN_INJECTED]
         [SYN_INGESTED]
            [CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:1000:0:START:0]
   [BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
   [PICKED_TILE:173][PICKED_COLOR:4:0:1]

Which makes my little potion permanently increase strength by 1000 whenever it is drunk, in case you don't read raws.

Then I added this custom reaction to reaction_adventurer.txt to let me use the crafting menu to make one from body parts:

[REACTION:MAKE_BALM_STRENGTH_ADV]
   [NAME:make balm of strength]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
   [REAGENT:corpse piece:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:BALM_STRENGTH:PLANT]
   [SKILL:KNAPPING]

Which lets me take, say, a finger, and turn it into one potion. Very useful.

My question to the good dorfs of the forum is: is there a better way to give myself infinite carry capacity? Hopefully you are able to see just how flawed and ineffective my "solution" is. If you know to solve my problem, I offer you my thanks in advance.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite carry capacity in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:35:09 am »

I'm pretty sure edible items can't give syndromes at the moment, but regular drinks should be able to do this. Sadly, I know of no way to bypass the 3 drink cap.

I have this bad habit that I have to actually go ahead and create raws for stuff that people need help with. What I've essentially done is that I copied the plump helmet plant, then just renamed the dwarven wine that it produces, and added the syndrome to that.

I don't know how much strength actually affects carry capacity in the latest version, so I can't guarantee the results that you're hoping for.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:36:56 am by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:36:44 am »

You could mod everything to be lighter. That would take time though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 06:33:33 pm »

Does anyone know how to mod the game so I have infinite carry capacity in adventure mode?

One possible solution to your carry capacity problem could be trying to use a wheelbarrow with your adventurer, sure that is not anywhere near of infinite capacity but enought for most practical purposes and your speed is not affected by the items contained in the wheelbarrow guided by you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »

Remember that you can't make the strength too large or it'll have the opposite effect of what you want.

skycaptain95

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 11:21:08 am »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Putnam, are you sure that the LAYERS_SLOW effect isn't causing this? Have you removed it from c_variation_default.txt and reloaded the world? I'm sure you have and I certainly don't wish to be condescending if you have, but you might want to check just in case.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:50:48 am »

I'm sure you have and I certainly don't wish to be condescending if you have, but you might want to check just in case.

Haha no I haven't tried that and if anyone ever considers it condescending to say "have you tried X", even if it's something as basic as "adding [OBJECT:REACTION] to the second line of the file" or "adding [MALE] and [FEMALE] to castes" (this one actually happened to me no more than two months ago), it'll be a sad day in modding.

Anyway, the effect is immediate enough that it's suspicious. 2512195, they can carry whatever, 2512196, they're perfectly fine until they pick something up at which point they slow to a crawl. It doesn't seem like something [LAYERS_SLOW] could cause.

skycaptain95

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:17 am »

The reason I recommend removing the LAYERS_SLOW effect is that I noticed exactly what you are saying with even lower strength values before removing it... +10,000, say. As soon as I picked up anything, goodbye movement speed. It might be the solution to your problem.

I'm pretty sure replacing : LAYERS_SLOW: with : will do the trick. It's in c_variation_default.txt, as mentioned.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:27:12 pm »

Anyway, the effect is immediate enough that it's suspicious. 2512195, they can carry whatever, 2512196, they're perfectly fine until they pick something up at which point they slow to a crawl. It doesn't seem like something [LAYERS_SLOW] could cause.
If I were to hazard a wild guess, I'd say it was an overflow of some intermediate result in the speed calculation (which would explain why the threshold for carrying is different than for other strength effects).  The LAYERS_SLOW effect can be tested by removing it from the gaits, which by the way can be specified directly in the creature raws without affecting everyone else, or by removing the THICKENS_ON effects from muscle and fat.

Toady intended for massive musculature to get in the way of moving quickly, but the speed boost from stronger muscles would more than overcome the penalty.  I doubt it, but maybe the game has calculated that the legs get in each others' way at 2512195.  Playing with legs' RELSIZE (or the entire body plan) would test it.  My money is on an intermediate calculation overflowing.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map