Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Was Anyone Ever Actually Offended By B.C./A.D.?  (Read 10839 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Was Anyone Ever Actually Offended By B.C./A.D.?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 10:07:57 am »

The American right was offended by Bill Clinton

And Alzheimer's disease is no laughing matter
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 10:08:22 am »

BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini, "In the days of our lord"), taken as a pair, explicitly state that "Christ is Lord".  Can you not see why people of other faiths (particularly Jews and Muslims) might be offended by a dating system that forces them to state a religious tenet they don't believe in?  If I proposed moving to a system that explicitly states that Jesus isn't the messiah would you be OK with using it, or would you regard it as an attack on your beliefs?
Huh yeah, that's even worse than I thought.  That helps explain why religious terminology in government items and procedures bother me.

Beyond that there's also the fact that year 0 was miscalculated, so there's no actual religious meaning to the system.  The only significance that 0AD carries is that the majority of the world agrees it's year zero - in other words, you could say that it's a Common Era.
So it isn't even just a rebranding, it really is a different point in time.  Neat!  A rebranding would have been fine too IMHO.

I'm a atheist and I don't really give a fuck. But if you think about it, it is placed at a very historically relevant time for a transition from old to new world. And no matter what you say, you cannot deny the impact that Christianity has had on history, being one of the leading causes of the collapse of the roman empire, and dominating the western world for the next 1800 years, which lead to the rest of the world being inf not converted, exposed or brought into conflict with Christian forces.
I think we have plenty of reminders of Christianity's time of dominance already, particularly in the US government. 
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 10:21:19 am »

I tolerate it, but it is annoying. Kind of like how a foot isn't the length of my foot. We use CE a lot for Islamic theological/historical discussions, but it's usually just to avoid that one guy in the room from derailing discussions on which is proper.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:25:10 am »

I wasn't even aware there had been any kind of push to change it (and no, it never bothered me). Then again, we only use "före Kristus" and "Efter Kristus" (before Christ/after Christ) and haven't used "Herrens år" (our version of Ammo Domino/Year of the Lord) as common usage for I don't know how long. A century? More?
Love, scriver~

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:30 am »

I'm a atheist and I don't really give a fuck. But if you think about it, it is placed at a very historically relevant time for a transition from old to new world. And no matter what you say, you cannot deny the impact that Christianity has had on history, being one of the leading causes of the collapse of the roman empire, and dominating the western world for the next 1800 years, which lead to the rest of the world being inf not converted, exposed or brought into conflict with Christian forces.
I think we have plenty of reminders of Christianity's time of dominance already, particularly in the US government.
So edgy.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 10:46:02 am »

I wasn't even aware there had been any kind of push to change it (and no, it never bothered me). Then again, we only use "före Kristus" and "Efter Kristus" (before Christ/after Christ) and haven't used "Herrens år" (our version of Ammo Domino/Year of the Lord) as common usage for I don't know how long. A century? More?
Pretty much the same in German.
Rolan, what sort of reminders? AFAIK the American system is about the most secular there is - it's just that it's filledwith religious nuts who are sadly reelected every time...
Leafsnail, as far as I can see BC and AD together only say "Around the year one some dude called Christ some people consider their/the lord was born." After all I call Mohammed a prophet as well, even if I don't believe in him or most things he's said.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 10:52:40 am »

It could be worse. Imagine. BP and AP. Before Putin and After Putin.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 10:55:11 am »

I am in favor of BH and AH. (Before Hitler and After Hitler)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 11:02:52 am »

Leafsnail, as far as I can see BC and AD together only say "Around the year one some dude called Christ some people consider their/the lord was born." After all I call Mohammed a prophet as well, even if I don't believe in him or most things he's said.
How so?  If you accept the terminology as valid then you're accepting that we are in the days of lord Jesus.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 11:07:19 am »

Christ isn't a name, though, it's the title of the Jewish Messiah.  When we say BC we're saying "Before the Jewish Messiah arrived", which I can't imagine is comfortable for Jewish people who don't believe he *has* arrived.  And as Leafsnail said, the Anno Domini means "Year of our lord".  Not "their lord" or "a lord" or "some guy".  They're affirmations of Christian doctrine, exactly as designed.

I really don't want to derail the thread, but since I was asked, the major reminders I had in mind were "In God we trust" on all our currency (bills and coins) and "One nation under God" in our pledge of allegiance.  "God", not "a god".  There's also the policy of swearing on a holy book, though that's harmless symbology (and the swearer is allowed to choose the book, AFAIK).

Werty is right that Christianity dominated the world for a time, and made a significant impact.  I just don't see why that means we should keep using their religious terms instead of CE and AE.

Edit: I certainly don't think about these things often anymore, and it's easy to accept them as not worth changing right now.  I do get a bit uncomfortable when they're pointed out, though, and when people don't see the problem.  It makes me feel unwelcome.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:11:23 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 12:52:59 pm »

I, personally, am bothered by the use of AD and BC and prefer to use BCE and CE.

On another note, I thought that it was particularly funny how absolutely-no-religion Chrono Trigger used BC and AD.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 01:00:19 pm »

One currently used dating system in some sciences is "before present", with "present" being defined as Jan. 1 1950. Or if you're in computer science, I guess it'd be 1970.

The only system that I think would be completely inoffensive would be one that 0s at an event equally important to all of humanity (good luck), or one that's event-independent. So it's just some arbitrary date that makes things weird at first, but after a while everything gets moved over anyway (like the 1950 one). That said, the US still uses fucking imperial units, so I don't see this happening any time soon. Common era is inherently still the same Christian system, but it's the most practical system from popular usage.

Also, yeah, Christian elements are present in US government and society, but I don't think it was originally like that. Tacking "in god we trust" onto our money was done fairly recently if I'm not mistaken (late 19th century?), and adding it to the pledge of allegiance is just anti-communist propaganda that's now a sacred cow of the religious right (along with all other religious symbolism in government). I think we've only had one openly atheist elected federal representative, and there are always the speeches the president gives where it seems like he's falling over himself to praise god and his faith (it's now an inaugural tradition).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 01:22:15 pm »

I think it's hilarious how we're discussing cultural imperialism of the BC/AD system, and we're using English to do it even though majority of us don't speak it natively. After we pressure the world to change to BCE/CE, for en core let's make Basque the lingua franca.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

As I posted on this video (before the thread was created, actually):
Quote from: MetalSlimeHunt
While I'm another atheist who agrees it to be a non-problem, I once heard a proposal that appealed to me. It was from some sci-fi setting, I think Orion's Arm. The idea is that the moon landing becomes the start point and the acronyms are B.T. (Before Tranquility) and A.T. (After Tranquility). As such 1969 is 1 AT, it is currently October 24th, 45 AT, and Christ was supposedly born in 1969 BT.

Though as most of you know my contempt for religious structures varies between "notable" and "extreme", the problems with switching over that Lindybeige mentions are very real. The only real way to reset the calender is to get something that people far and wide will accept as a new start date. I obviously love the moon landing, and I think many others will too, but this probably won't work either. While I personally believe that space endeavors should be considered beyond nationality and sectarianism (<3 Yuri Gagarin), it is clear that most people would accuse using the moon landing as a date to be American influence (this similarly disqualifies Gagarin's orbit as well).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »

Christ isn't a name, though, it's the title of the Jewish Messiah.  When we say BC we're saying "Before the Jewish Messiah arrived", which I can't imagine is comfortable for Jewish people who don't believe he *has* arrived.  And as Leafsnail said, the Anno Domini means "Year of our lord".  Not "their lord" or "a lord" or "some guy".  They're affirmations of Christian doctrine, exactly as designed.

I really don't want to derail the thread, but since I was asked, the major reminders I had in mind were "In God we trust" on all our currency (bills and coins) and "One nation under God" in our pledge of allegiance.  "God", not "a god".  There's also the policy of swearing on a holy book, though that's harmless symbology (and the swearer is allowed to choose the book, AFAIK).

Werty is right that Christianity dominated the world for a time, and made a significant impact.  I just don't see why that means we should keep using their religious terms instead of CE and AE.

Edit: I certainly don't think about these things often anymore, and it's easy to accept them as not worth changing right now.  I do get a bit uncomfortable when they're pointed out, though, and when people don't see the problem.  It makes me feel unwelcome.
But as Lloyd/Lindybeige pointed out in the video, we still use the Gregorian calendar, which has many months named after Roman gods. And the days of the week are named after Norse gods for the most part, and also one Roman (at least in English; it varies by language). It seems far enough to let the people who came up with a system name things as they like.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12