Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with two problems!  (Read 959 times)

AshenGrey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Need help with two problems!
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:56:42 am »

Hey guys! I've been a player of Dwarf Fortress for about... Damn, since 2009, at least. I never joined the forums because, until now, I never found it necessary to do so!

Basically, I have two problems - One I can probably figure out on my own, so I'll ask about that one after, but the first... I cannot figure out how to do it.

I need to make it so that three creatures that I want to create are only able to be used by Dwarves. As in, Not [COMMON_DOMESTIC], because I don't want Humans showing up with them. Basically, they'd be beasts from the Caverns, and they'd be as Wardogs - horse Sized, Chitin Covered insectoid wardogs with razor sharp teeth that can bite through steel, with deadly claws and a horn they can gore enemies with. So I don't want humans or elves to have them, but neither do I want Goblins to show up riding them. How can I make it so that Dwarves will have them from the start - Without having to Regenerate the world because the dwarves didn't feel like taming them, while the Goblins did.

Now, my second part... I want to make the aforementioned beasts to look like this, basically. How would I go about making them in the raws? Would it be a bad idea to have them become enraged as often as Badgers? I really need help with making them, ugh.

Please, please, please help. x.x I'm terrible at modding.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with two problems!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:11:06 am »

There's no way to restrict animals to given civilizations, you can just try to tilt the table with the entity traits. Personally, I'd take out the [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] tag from goblins. Their most important war creatures (beak dogs, trolls) don't live underground, anyway.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:14:41 am »

first of all, welcome to the forums!

now, to actually answer your questions:

for the first one, give your dwarves USE_CAVE_ANIMALS and take it from the gobbos, give the creature a PET tag and make it only spawn in subterranean biomes. that should do it. if not, then there is a dfhack script that allows you to control which pets and mounts a civilization has access to

as for the second one, yeah that's a bit difficult. you have to create special body parts (i count three, a main body, the head with a horn and four legs), a creature entry and maybe a special body detail plan, but that may be not necessary. give them chitin and make them bite and gore, it's not too difficult you can just copy most of the stuff from existing raw entries.here's a modding tutorial for the rest

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modding_guide

making them enraged would not have any game breaking effects.

AshenGrey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:26:34 am »

for the first one, give your dwarves USE_CAVE_ANIMALS and take it from the gobbos, give the creature a PET tag and make it only spawn in subterranean biomes. that should do it. if not, then there is a dfhack script that allows you to control which pets and mounts a civilization has access to

as for the second one, yeah that's a bit difficult. you have to create special body parts (i count three, a main body, the head with a horn and four legs), a creature entry and maybe a special body detail plan, but that may be not necessary. give them chitin and make them bite and gore, it's not too difficult you can just copy most of the stuff from existing raw entries.here's a modding tutorial for the rest

Ah, thank you. Sadly I'm not good at the game's code, so I'll be struggling with it, even with the tutorial. x.x

But, on the flip side, once I master it...Heh.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:24 am »

Yep, DFhack script. Masterwork uses it, and I will need probably need to for my mod.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

AshenGrey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:34:07 am »

Dwarves already have USE_CAVE_ANIMALS, apparently. So do Kobolds. Hrm. Odd.

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:52:29 am »

well, if you add the PET tag (PET, not PET_EXOTIC) to the creature you should be able to embark with them. if not, try also adding COMMON_DOMESTIC, though i don't guarantee it will work. the dfhack script is the best way to go, if you use dfhack.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 05:31:35 am »

Eesh, that thing looks like goblins should be riding them.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 11:40:16 am »

Civs can only domesticate the creatures they come in contact with, so keeping them subterranean will prevent Humans and Elves from finding them.  As mentioned above, let the Dwarves use cave creatures and not the Goblins or Kobolds.

For the body, look through the body_default.txt for the bits you want to assemble, then look for creatures that use those parts.  Since I went through all of that trying to build a similar-looking creature, I'll post what I ended up with:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:BODY_HEAD:4ARMS_STANCE:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:TONGUE:4FINGERS:GENERIC_TEETH_WITH_LARGE_EYE_TEETH:FACIAL_FEATURES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[BODYGLOSS:CLAW_HAND]

In my case, I replaced the SKIN with a custom tissue that varied by caste.  Similar-shaped vanilla creatures have ribs and throats, which I think is ridiculous.  In your case, it probably makes more sense to drop the SKULL and use the exoskeleton materials and body detail plan (which removes the need to remove unneeded materials).  The actual creature is in the mod in my signature, but the similarities to what you're doing really are just "skin deep."

If you want a head, thorax and abdomen, the easiest thing would be to copy the INSECT body plan, delete the second pair of legs and feet, rename the third things to second, and play with the relative sizes.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map