Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I find out why death has shown up?  (Read 9111 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I find out why death has shown up?
« on: October 25, 2014, 11:45:28 am »

As spring arrives, a ewe, a turkey, and a dwarf are found dead (and short time thereafter the game realizes that and reports it as well). Given the location of the ewe and the dwarf (in the fortress courtyard, with lots of traffic, and the firing range, just beside the melee squads area, with guards present as the spring set in), there ought to have been witnesses, and a lot of dwarves are running around with question marks above their heads (before the game notifies me about the deaths). The Justice screen is empty (well, except for my executed vampire major's complaint that I didn't fulfil a mandate), however, and there is no splattering of blood at any of the death locations. There are guard dogs by all entrances, so I assume any normal stealthed creature would have been detected
Is there any way I can find out what's happening? Looking at dwarf thoughts doesn't seem to provide any clues.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out why death has shown up?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:47:50 am »

Click "r".
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »

Thanks, but that doesn't give a clue.

The log is full of my coinstar training and my military sparring, but nothing about either the dwarf or the animals for several weeks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:14:58 pm »

Than it want combat, dehydration, overcrowding, falling etc.  Although in rare cases the game doesn't give those messages.

The next best guess is a syndrome, drowning, or maybe the coins are like radiation in that too much cheesy will suddenly cause a collapse of the quantum universe?

It would only take a small amount of decay to kill a person, and a slightly higher amount to doom the universe (10 x 9.99-31 atoms/sec?). :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »

Sounds like they died from old age, since it was immediately after spring.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 03:27:59 am »

Thanks Zuglarkun!

Age is a distinct possibility, since all the three dead were in the death eligible age range. Actually, old age was the first thing I thought of when I found the turkey dead, since it was one of those brought initially. The thing that made me concerned was synchronized death, but if that's the way old age related death works (a yearly spring culling), that's fine, but somewhat shocking when encountered for the first time. Worthy of mentioning on the wiki's "death" page.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:35 am »

If you want cause of death, make a memorial slab for them. It will mention it.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 05:29:39 am »

Thanks Sirbug, that worked!
"Died peacefully" seems to rule out foul play.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:50:33 am »

Or does it?! Que black-and-white 60s drama!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:14 am »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:53:11 am »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.

Dang, that's a better comeback.

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »

Well, it is more a thing that nobody see. Never. There is a lot of Funnier things to die of in the Dwarf Fortress universe.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »

I remember there was a 15+ page thread for figuring out how a dwarf died, because nobody had seen one die of old age before that. I think even Quietust was stumped for a but, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 05:14:39 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »

"Dying of old age" should be one of the possible dwarven dreams!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:38 pm »

So sigging that.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.
Pages: [1] 2