Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A new stone layer?  (Read 1225 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
A new stone layer?
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:53:45 pm »

I really want to make a stone layer filled with precious and rare gems, lined with platinum, silver, and gold, with hematite and dolomite veins through it. How would I do this? If it would require tons of work, like more than making a new creature from a blank document, I could settle for adding gems and ores to the sedimentary layers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new stone layer?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:19:18 pm »

This is a multi-step process. First, you will need to decide if  you will either a) add your new stone layer to inorganic_stone_layer.txt, or b) create a new file in the raws folder named something like inorganic_stone_layer_StagnantSout.txt (or any file name you like). If you do the latter, the first line of the text file must be the name of the file without the ".txt", and the next needs to be [OBJECT:INORGANIC]. The second option is generally considered cleaner.

Then you'll need to define your layer stone. Give it a name, like "Sillystone", and change the raws of an existing stone to describe its color, tile, physical properties, etc. Note, you must define the stone layer as one of [METAMORPHIC], [SEDIMENTARY], [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE], or [IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE]. This is necessary for the game to understand the inorganic being described is a stone layer, but will cause problems for your next step.

Finally, you need to go into the raws of all the minerals, gems, etc, that you want to appear in your layer and add an [ENVIRONMENT_SPEC] tag to each of them to appear in Sillystone, for example: Native Gold would be modded to include [ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:SILLYSTONE:VEIN:100], which will make veins of native gold appear in sillystone. Your choices to replace "VEIN" are VEIN, CLUSTER, CLUSTER_SMALL, and CLUSTER_ONE.

Now, there is where your problems lie. Some minerals and gems are set to appear in all stones of a layer, not specific stones. For example, cinnabar (which is not particularly useful in game) appears as veins in all igneous extrusive layers. You could conceivably go through every mineral and gem and change their raws so that they will not appear in the layer type unless they're a mineral/gem you'd want, but that'll be a lot of effort; although, as you're already going to need to go through all the raws anyway, it might not be as much extramwork as I'm thinking.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:24:25 pm »

Thanks! I'll get working on that tomorrow. Is there a way to make it so it's not super thick? I want it to be like a huge-ish reward, but not guaranteed.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 09:16:54 pm »

Is there a way to make it so it's not super thick?
Nope - it will be exactly as thick as any other stone layer, and it will also be exactly as common as any other stone layer, provided it's capable of appearing underground - Igneous Extrusive and Sedimentary stones will only appear on the topmost layer of a given biome, and everything else underneath will be either Igneous Intrusive or Metamorphic.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 04:34:56 am »

Thickness you can't control, but you can actually change how common it is by making redundant entries for the other layer stones

So instead of ingeous intrusive being granite, gabbro, sillystone or whatever, you make it:
granite1, granite2, granite3, gabbro1, gabbro2, gabbro3, sillystone (all the granites still have just "granite" as the in-game name, which is separate from the code name)

Thus, sillystone has a 1/7 chance of showing up, instead of a 1/3 chance. As a side effect, it's also more likely to get more than one granite layer in a row or something, but that's not a big deal. It's actually more realistic than vanilla, in fact! Different types of intrusive stone with different chemistries (like gabbro and granite) would rarely be on top of one another anyway, so not a big deal if you increase the chance of uniformity across the non-sillystone types.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:36:38 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:10:38 am »

It does? Yay! I'll get that done sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:48 am »

Thickness you can't control, but you can actually change how common it is by making redundant entries for the other layer stones

So instead of ingeous intrusive being granite, gabbro, sillystone or whatever, you make it:
granite1, granite2, granite3, gabbro1, gabbro2, gabbro3, sillystone (all the granites still have just "granite" as the in-game name, which is separate from the code name)

Thus, sillystone has a 1/7 chance of showing up, instead of a 1/3 chance. As a side effect, it's also more likely to get more than one granite layer in a row or something, but that's not a big deal. It's actually more realistic than vanilla, in fact! Different types of intrusive stone with different chemistries (like gabbro and granite) would rarely be on top of one another anyway, so not a big deal if you increase the chance of uniformity across the non-sillystone types.
Thats a really bat idea, because you will have stockpiles listing "gabbro", "gabbro" and "gabbro", and dwarves wont know if they should pick that "gabbro chair" or the "gabbro chair" instead.

Objects with some ingame name and different IDs are only ok to use, if they dont appear in any lists or stockpiles.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:48:45 am »

If they're all identical physical properties, who cares whether it's the gabbro chair versus the gabbro chair...?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:04 am »

If they're all identical physical properties, who cares whether it's the gabbro chair versus the gabbro chair...?
Because Urist McPicky has a preference for gabbro, not gabbro.

You can split the difference, though.  Just rifle through wikipedia for a few minutes and find alternate names for the layer stones you're duplicating.  Don't even need to change the properties since sillystones isn't an attempt at hyper-realism (though you might want to fiddle with tile colors).

So instead of marble, you have white marble and green marble and pink marble.  Instead of basalt you have alkali basalt and tholeiitic basalt and boninite.

Big caveat: Applying a new graphics pack will be a pain.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map