Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.14 Released  (Read 35872 times)

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.14 Released
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 02:39:37 am »

Huzzah! Now mods will likely probably haveta update again!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 08:07:21 am »

retired LIKES_FIGHTING

:-\

I guess the new emotions will determine temperament?  But what about non-sentients?

---

Also now time to play with/abuse stepladder mechanics
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:08:54 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 08:35:01 am »

retired LIKES_FIGHTING

I guess the new emotions will determine temperament?  But what about non-sentients?

---

Also now time to play with/abuse stepladder mechanics

R-r-r...retired [LIKES_FIGHTING]...?  :'( :'( :'(
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 08:47:15 am »

Thank you Toady!

But you coulda waited until I'd at least started the new world I'd genned yesterday.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 11:27:54 am »

Woha! Thanks Toady! What an update!
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 02:30:17 pm »

LIKES_FIGHTING was only used for the "takes joy in the slaughter" thought -- it didn't determine fight-or-flight responses.  That all has more to do with LARGE_PREDATOR and BENIGN and that sort of thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »

Oh, okay. Thought for a minute I'd see hydras running like foxes because they didn't like fighting anymore. Thanks Toady!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
Thanks Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.14 Released
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »

This morning I rolled out of bed and went about my usual routine;
step into slippers,
turn on computer,
feed cat,
[take thyroid medicine, use the toilet etc,]
open Chrome,
check bay12forums for a new Dwarf Fortress version,
check Wikipedia news for Earth-shattering events,
read/play something while eating breakfast...
But today there was a break from the usual.

Today I danced with joy across the room to open my curtains, then sat at my computer chair staring past my monitor out the window...
The noon-day-Sun shines a lovely 60F / 16C on the temperate forests, and orderly fields of the Rhineland.
A nice breeze caresses the 200 meter hills and valleys occasionally, bringing the smell of fresh air.
The streams flow merrily along; content from the gentle rains that are common here.
In the pastures, the horses, cows and sheep munch happily, the mice roam carefully.
In the woods & thickets, the deer lay hidden, the boars ghost, the pine martens bound, and the foxes sniff.
In the trees jays screech, pigeons flutter, the blackbirds fuss, starlings work, the peckers tap, the crows caw, and the tits carouse.
On the border between field and forest, a 10 pound grey streak stalks slowly towards a grazing hare of the same size, but as the moving blur gets within 2 meters,
the rabbit senses or hears something with its tall ears, and makes a leisurely dash 10 meters away to stop and listen.
The wildcat disappears back into the forest undergrowth- the overpopulation of voles make an easier meal anyway.

A watchful eye is kept on everything by the many birds of prey that glide and perch in the sunshine.
Fruit harvesting has come.
All is right with the world.

Minor exception in rightness with the world due to overabundance of humans, and save-game incompatibility... but you can't have it all now can you.  ;)
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 07:41:06 pm »

So, the notes were a bit ambiguous on this point, but are "bean like" plants usable for farming?  There was mention of them being problematic, but was that just for wild variants?  Does the note about all edible growths being harvested include the beans, and are they edible / usable if harvested?

I've been really looking forward to this update.  Even if only fruiting plants are usable for farming I'll be happy for a while.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 07:49:19 pm »

If I remember, the beans don't have any edible growths, just growths (the pods) that contain edible seeds (by tag), and for farming to be successful you have to eat some seeds but also keep enough to replant.  So it's sort of a hassle that hasn't been handled.  The dwarves currently don't even know how to get the seeds out of the pods at all, so they aren't useful in any way yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 10:22:20 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was vaguely remembering from earlier releases and what I was afraid of.  I was hoping there'd be a new shelling job or something, but I can wait for whatever the final result is and just use other kinds of plants for now.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 05:57:36 am »

Oh my god yes. Finally I can let my dwarves harvest the precious fruits of those beautiful trees! *_*

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 07:39:08 am »

The dwarves currently don't even know how to get the seeds out of the pods at all

Now I have a mental image of dwarves standing around a table with a peapod on it, scratching their heads.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 07:50:02 am »

The dwarves currently don't even know how to get the seeds out of the pods at all

Now I have a mental image of dwarves standing around a table with a peapod on it, scratching their heads.

Now I have an image of Urist running up to split the One Pod lying on the table with his war axe, and failing miserably Gimli-style.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 09:20:54 am »

Notice that stepladders can't stack on top of each other to make a poor man's ladder in adventure mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5