Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The New Emotion System  (Read 7561 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: The New Emotion System
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 08:35:46 am »

Well, hope it gets fixed in next release, currently 10 are in depression and the rest are really mad. Forts currently at an unplayable level now, had to save and close pending bug fix.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 09:01:19 am »

Well, hope it gets fixed in next release, currently 10 are in depression and the rest are really mad. Forts currently at an unplayable level now, had to save and close pending bug fix.

It was inevitable.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2014, 09:37:25 am »

Just for a laugh, i convicted babies, animals, corpses and whatnot for the 200+ counts of disorderly conduct, and ...

nothing.

Outrage at the travesty of justice is a single (or small collection of) unhappy thought which shows up once and fades away. Nothing compared to the terrible fate of being separated from the dear cousin thrice removed and that nice lady who sold me the apples in the market all those years ago. I think the problem really is that dwarfs are basically trying to check their mailbox every hour, realise mailboxes still have to be invented and get the full whack of unhappiness of not having heard of their dear distant relatives. Every damn hour, day in day out, all year. For reference, as i understand it the thoughts listed in white are the most recent ones. Look at a separation victim, and you'll notice their separation thoughts are _always_ white; give them a different thought and check how quickly this thought is pushed from the top of the list by separation refresh, it's quite impressive.

I've partially reverted to an older version for now. Small forts with dwarfs conjured from thin air should work just fine, but for a populous fortress with healthy relations to the rest of the world, we may have to wait for the next release.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:28 am »

Agreed.  The new emotion system just needs tweaking and balancing like any other new feature.  Toady will get to it in time.
On the Nature of Dwarves

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2014, 11:45:12 am »

I have a medium fortress (pop cap at 50 or so). Every dwarf has a bed, chair, table, chest, cabinet, weapon rack, armor rack and statue. All exceptional or masterwork quality.

No morale problems, despite several werebeast related disasters.

Needless to say earlier fortresses didn't have dwarves that were quite so spoiled.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2014, 12:09:31 pm »

My fortress have no morale problems, but They have poor relations usualy. Every dwarf have bedroom with chest, cabinet and bed, office with throne, table, armor stand, weapon stand, dinning room with throne, table, two statues and a tomb with coffin, two cabinets, two chests, two bags.

For now, not major problems with emotions, some minor ones, but missing had no soo big inpact. Two dorfs freaked out because not i doesn't completed They moods.

They are still socializing in my small 10x4 dinning room, going to zoo during breaks and memorizing every dead person. In fact, small merorial halls for minor dwarves makes They relatives really happy, even when They are entombed (what is giving them second good emotion).

After all, there is soo much space between caverns... 3x3 rooms doesn't get soo much place, and my military dwarves must have something to do during They civilian duty. Stone detailing is increasing agility.

Edit, okey, i just love reading these slabs, statues and other things descriptions...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2014, 07:55:18 pm »

Just downloaded newest version, says emotions been changed in Adventurer, hopefully it goes to Fortress too.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2014, 08:44:18 am »

Just downloaded newest version, says emotions been changed in Adventurer, hopefully it goes to Fortress too.

Unfortunately migrants still "Cannot give in to sadness" in 0.40.15, and the feeling still doesn't seem to fade away, at least after a couple of seasons. They don't seem to get stressed as easy as before, but that might be just random luck.

Too bad, this is one of the main annoying features in the emotion overhaul and I was hoping it could get fixed soon :(

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2014, 10:17:09 am »

In all fairness, it only revealed itself as a major bug, what, a week or so ago?  And it's FAR from the only major bug needing squashing.
On the Nature of Dwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 11:32:13 am »

In all fairness, it only revealed itself as a major bug, what, a week or so ago?  And it's FAR from the only major bug needing squashing.

Agreed, but you have to admit it is a bug that haunts all fortresses (haven't tried young or pocket worlds with no relatives on migrants?).

On the other hand, I'm secretly enjoying all the depressed dwarves having sudden bursts of violence. The hammerer, sheriff and doctor are definitely getting good practice! In the end, most DF bugs are actually !!!FUN!!! in disguise ;D

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 12:13:31 pm »

I'm hoping Toady doesn't fix it TOO aggressively.  While it indisputably needs to be toned down, I like the idea of a few mentally soft dwarves (Nobles, probably certainly) absolutely losing it and going catatonic or insane because their chairs aren't nice enough.  That kind of hilarity needs to be at least an outlier.
On the Nature of Dwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 12:25:47 pm »

I'm hoping Toady doesn't fix it TOO aggressively.  While it indisputably needs to be toned down, I like the idea of a few mentally soft dwarves (Nobles, probably certainly) absolutely losing it and going catatonic or insane because their chairs aren't nice enough.  That kind of hilarity needs to be at least an outlier.

Actually the only bugged thing is that getting separated from relatives is a feeling that seems to never disappear and drives many immigrants mad. Also it's questionable if immigrants should have strong negative feelings about relatives they left behind.

I'm totally supporting the idea of any extreme individuals getting mad at small details. I haven't seen that kind of behaviour yet in my fortresses since I've been playing quite safe, so the only tantrums I've had have been from depressed immigrants.

A suitable not-too-aggressive fix would make the separation from relatives feeling diminish slowly over time, and the rate would depend on the closeness of the relative. Currently distant cousins seem to be the ruin of most fortresses :)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 02:25:48 pm »

Immigrant problem at least partially solved now:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8490

Removing BABYSNATCHER from goblin entity and creating a new world is a crude temporary fix.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]