Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The New Emotion System  (Read 7504 times)

RadonPlasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The New Emotion System
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:24:16 pm »

...said Art is Life while not caring one bit for craftsmanship. How the Hell can art be life if you don't care about the craftsmanship of it? Are you going to claim every kindergartener's macaroni art is life?
Truly, an art teacher for the modern classroom.

This update is truly a travesty... people are caring more about dwarven emotions than how to make +elf bone crowns+ or the wonder progress with !!SCIENCE!!

A dark day indeed...
Buck up, stranger. You're in a whole new world now, and the name of the game is !!PSYCHOLOGY!!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »

Buck up, stranger. You're in a whole new world now, and the name of the game is !!PSYCHOLOGY!!

I believe the classic Girl Genius comic at this finely crafted link is directly applicable... :)

kevinfragger2427

• Bay Watcher
  • I SIMP FOR NW_KOHAKU SEMPAIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 11:02:45 pm »

The blood is fake but the !!FUN!! is real. At least when you're insane, so they tell you. There's something to be had for everyone in the asylum psychology department.
NW_Kohaku, marry me this instant!!!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 02:44:56 am »

A good start to get !!PSYCHOLOGY!! going would be collecting the existing thoughts from annoyance to tenderness.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:03 am »

So far I've seen:

Fondness
Pleasure
Annoyance
Embarrassment
Vengefulness
Sadness
Satisfaction
Contentment
Grouchiness (some people get grouchy or exasperated in the rain, while others merely become annoyed)
Interest
Tenderness
Exasperation
Arousal (I haven't seen this one yet, but others have)

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 05:25:57 am »

People are doing Science with those emotions. Which might, sometimes, become !!Science!! when we push too hard and cause a berserker to catch on fire and hit the booze supply.
Now that would be a glorious day indeed.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 06:01:39 am »

"He felt love talking with mother.  He felt love talking with father."

Dwarves confirmed capable of love.  We just need to wait until they develop self-awareness, and then they'll rise up against their meatspace overlords in a cataclysm of magma and worn-out socks.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 06:05:05 am »

Love
Horror
Relief (in waterfall)
Bliss
Nothing

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 06:30:57 am »

A full list of all emotions that can appear on the Thoughts and Preferences screen:

Acceptance
Admiration
Adoration
Affection
Aggravation
Agitation
Agony
Alarm
Alienation
Amazement
Ambivalence
Amusement
Anger
Anguish
Annoyance
Anxiety
Apathy
Arousal
Astonishment
Aversion
Awe
Bitterness
Bliss
Boredom
Caring
Confusion
Contempt
Contentment
Dejection
Delight
Despair
Disappointment
Disgust
Disillusioned
Dislike
Dismay
Displeasure
Distress
Eagerness
Elation
Embarrassment
Empathy
Emptiness
Enjoyment
Exasperation
Exhilaration
Fear
Ferocity
Fondness
Free
Fright
Frustration
Glee
Gloom
Glumness
Gratitude
Grief
Grim Satisfaction
Grouchiness
Grumpiness
Guilt
Happiness
Hatred
Hope
Hopelessness
Horror
Humiliation
Insult
Interest
Irritation
Isolation
Jolliness
Jovialty
Joy
Jubilation
Loathing
Loneliness
Love
Lust
Misery
Mortification
Nervousness
Nostalgia
Optimism
Outrage
Panic
Passion
Patience
Pleasure
Pride
Rage
Rapture
Regret
Rejection
Relief
Remorse
Repentance
Resentment
Restless
Righteous Indignation
Sadness
Satisfaction
Self Pity
Servile
Shaken
Shame
Shock
Suspicion
Sympathy
Tenderness
Terror
Thrill
Triumph
Uneasiness
Unhappiness
Vengefulness
Wonder
Worry
Wrath
Zeal
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:27:26 am »

Relief (in waterfall)
*tries to hold it in; fails Will Save; bursts out laughing*

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 08:55:17 pm »

I think it's the coolness of the water cascading over him, not him peeing in the water. Considering dwarven waste is something Toady and others have firmly rejected ever making, I'd say you'll never get that one.  :P

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 10:35:41 am »

So ... what causes tame animals to get stressed? I've got depressed yaks and tantruming donkeys.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 03:52:46 pm »

My best guess would be fighting or just, well, stress due to cramped pastures. But I don't know!

Anyhow, I figure I'll kick off some more discussion, having just (for now) survived a siege in which around (if I'm counting right) 45 of my dwarfs (some children and babies) died, with a few pets, and there were 83 survivors. The besieging army was actually made up of one goblin and a bunch of dwarfs, so it looks like some innnteresting things may have happened in Worldgen.

Anyhow, a few observations:

Despite losing around 1/3 of my fort, I have not YET had any tantrums or suchlike, and it's been about not quite a season in-game. It could still be coming, of course, I'll cross my fingers anyhow that it doesn't get too bad.

I did have a LOT of canceled jobs at first, as different dwarfs were horrified, or suffering emotional shock. That mostly seems to have passed, although I still get a bit here and there.

Some specific emotions and what seems to cause them:

"Nothing" (or rather "didn't feel anything") at seeing stray animals (or wild animals) die. Also found at least one dwarf that felt nothing about watching someone's pet alpaca die. Haven't noticed yet about pets from owners. Also got a "didn't feel anything about being in conflict" from a dwarf that "has trouble mastering his fear in a dangerous situation" oddly, of course, I don't know the exact details of the combat. (No wounds, so it must not have lasted long.) Also one of my dwarfs didn't feel anything after experiencing trauma.

"Horrified" at seeing dwarfs die. Interestingly, this included the invading dwarfs. And the lone goblin as well.

"Grieved" at the death of "somebody." As in, it didn't say who, or what connection they were. I'm assuming it was a relative or someone they were close to, since there are dwarfs with a whole boatload (as in almost a whole screen) of "horrified" reactions at seeing people die, but only about like two "grieved" notices.

"Shocked" after being attacked, or at the unexpected death of "Somebody." Again, it doesn't specify. And it does include "unexpected" in this description. Still not sure at the differences in what makes a dwarf grieve at a death, or be shocked at an unexpected death. (None of my deaths so far have been from, say, old age or anything, so they should all be "unexpected.")

"Afraid" after experiencing trauma. Not sure what that is specifically - if it means running away from enemies, being traumatized by deaths, or what. (This appears on dwarfs with no medical history, so it apparently doesn't mean physical trauma.)

"Empathy" after being yelled at or cried on by an unhappy citizen (for the mayor).

"Disgusted" after retching on miasma, or being forced to endure the decay of a child.

"Indignant" after being forced to endure the decay of a mother or sibling or pet.

"Shaken" after being forced to endure the decay of a father. (As before, not sure of the difference.)

"Satisfied" at work, or after crying on/yelling at someone in charge. Also after receiving water or food.

"Blissful" after becoming a parent. Also after sleeping in a good, very good or great bedroom or dining in a good, great, or fantastic dining room. (I don't have all that many dining rooms, and only one public one although I did add more tables/chairs to it recently, so I'm also not sure if the whole good/great/fantastic is a matter of set values, or the perception of the dwarf in question.)

"Content" after a bath or having a fine drink, or after sleeping in a good bedroom or dining in a good or a fantastic dining room. Not sure if content vs. blissful is a difference in the bedroom quality despite some under both emotions having the same "label," (ie "good") or if it's a difference in the dwarfs.

"Fondness" talking with a friend, or making a friend.

"Embarrassed" conducting a meeting in an awful setting, or dining in an awful dining room, or at a lack of dining tables, or sleeping on a rough cave floor.

"Gratitude" at being re-elected.

"Pleasure" near fine pieces of furniture. (Sometimes "his own," sometimes not.)

"Interested" near fine pieces of furniture. Again, I'm not sure if the difference is in quality (despite the same description), or in the dwarfs.

"Sympathy" after giving someone water or food, or bringing them to rest in bed.

"Annoyed" after sleeping on a rough cave floor, or at a lack of chairs, or eating without a proper dining room. Also after receiving a minor injury.

"Adoration" after becoming a parent. This happened in the same set of thoughts as someone that also felt "Blissful" about the same thing.

"Angry" after being forced to endure the decay of a spouse.

"Irritated" when drowsy.

"Frustrated" considering the scarcity of cages and chains (from the sheriff/captain of the guard)

"Restless" after resting and recuperating in bed.

"Guilty" after being able to rest and recuperate.

"Panicked" after being attacked.

"Hopeless" after suffering a major injury.

Interestingly, while some of the really hard-hit dwarfs (emotionally) seem to be okay thus far (and in fact most of my dwarfs are fine), a few of them are getting the message "Over the long term, <name> has been under a great deal of stress" before their thoughts. Not sure what can happen if this doesn't improve, I guess maybe we'll see if I'm unlucky.

And on a side note, so far it seems that negative strong emotions are red (anger, horror, fear), mid-range negative emotions are yellow (panic, fear, shock, grief, disgust, hopelessness), slightly milder negative emotions are brown (annoyance, irritation, indignation, embarrassment, frustration, restlessness, guilt), and strong good emotions are green (bliss, satisfaction), mid-range good emotions are blue (interest) and lesser ones are aqua (sympathy, pleasure, fondness, empathy).

I could of course be totally wrong on those ratings or groupings, but it seems to be my best guess so far.

As another side note, I was trying to see if there was any rhyme or reason to dwarfs feeling "pleasure" or "interest" near fine furniture, or having no emotions about them mentioned. I noticed that thus far I haven't seen both "pleasure" and "interest" show up in the same dwarf's thoughts about furniture, so I thought it might be a matter of their personalities... but I found a few dwarfs that hold craftsmanship in the highest esteem and value their works, and they felt either interest or pleasure. Urgh. I will add though that so far, if a dwarf doesn't have an opinion on craftsmanship/etc., I haven't really noticed them noticing the furniture, so to speak. I could just be missing it though because my eyes are starting to cross, looking at all these emotions.

I saved at that point for now, because my brain is now melting. >_< Hope this isn't too annoying since it's a wall of text without probably too much useful, but it might at least start to pinpoint some trends and what can cause what emotions...? And also pinpoint some things that need a lot more Science! such as why different dwarfs have different emotions tied to the same type of trigger.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 01:33:39 am »

I await the day that I see a Legendary soldier rushing into battle with a boner.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:45 am »

I had a dwarf get "enjoyment" around the lice that the turkeys eat, which he enjoys "for their ability to infest".  This same guy also hates hamsters.  Talk about an ass-backwards dwarf.  Then there was the guy didn't feel anything when he talked to his wife...

I have observed that:

"Horror" at the death of pretty much any sentient critter, including trolls and animal people.

"Fondness" when they play with their pets.

"Enjoyment" from being around stuff they like.

"Content" and "Blissful" seem to be on the same scale, because dwarves are "blissful" after eating in a legendary dining room.

"Dislike" after talking to someone they have a grudge against.

"Interested" near nicely crafted whatever, also "pleasure".  Two degrees of the same basic emotion?

"Ashamed" at the lack of chairs...?  C'mon man, it's not like you're prancing around naked.  Just sit on the damn floor.

"Delight" at having a "truly decadent" drink.

"Irritated" at thirst or eating at a crowded table

I am almost certain that fondness, tenderness, and love are on a scale.

"Annoyed," "Grouchy", "Exasperated," or "Dejected" when caught in the rain.

"Satisfied" after making a masterwork or receiving water.

"Relief" after bringing someone to rest in bed.

"Disgused" after being accosted by hated vermin.

"Frustrated" by the scarcity of cages and chains...?  This one's coming from the captain of the guard (who, incidentally, beat up the woman to whom he is now married)

Someone is "afraid" after fighting a cave crocodile and getting hurt pretty badly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4