Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this safe?  (Read 1418 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Is this safe?
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »

I just got a Cyclops knocking on my fortress door. Not literally, i use a bridge to close it, but he is still around. As my brand-new millitary is composed of 3 rookies, they will probably get themselves wrecked if they attempted to fight the beast. So, i demanded the creation of four iron cages (That much wasn't really necessary). They created them very quickly, indeed. I demanded the cage traps to be set up at the entrace of the fortress (Where else?). They're already there now. Oh, yeah, also, while the dorfs were building the cages, building the traps, loading the traps and all that stuff, i demanded a pit to be mined, so i could throw the cyclops to his death. The pit is already there, but the Cyclops isn't captured yet.
 What i would like to question is: Is it safe? I've read at the wiki that the dwarfs will, instead of simply hauling the cage, open the cage, take the creature by the hand and hop happily in the direction of the pit, instead of shitting their pants (Alright, it wasn't exaclty that). I fear that the cyclops will escape instead of being throwed at the pit. Should i do it?

Here is a screenshot of the area where i want to throw him. It's 6 z deep. I don't know if it's enough to kill him, but it will certainly hurt.

Here is a screenshot of the entrace. Note that no dog is near the rope. Can you guess why?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Is this safe?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:02:43 pm »

AFAIK there is a bug with pitting that causes dwarves to let hostile creatures out of the cage and immediately have the creature get out of being pitted and attack your dwarves. It should be safe, but it's not as a result of this...

Because of climbing, you should have a covered hatch to make sure he doesn't get out, and I think locking the hatch will prevent the escape bug... though how dwarves manage to drop something through a locked hatch is a mystery...

As for safe... not really, 6 z levels will probably bruise the cyclops at worst, and then he will slaughter your fortress if he has a way out. You need at least 20 z levels to have a decent chance of killing him, and even then he could probably crawl far enough to strangle one of two dwarves before vomiting in his own eyes and dying... You should probably keep him in the cage and set up a danger room with wooden spear spike traps to speed train your military while he's trapped in the cage, then send them to the bottom of the pit after he's dropped to finish him off...

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »

You can station your squad near the pit (make a door and seal it using draw bridge at the bottom). The fall usually stuns the beast so you can have some free attacks before it can do anything.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:29:37 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »

You should have used the iron for large serrated disc, if the purpose is to kill.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:54:02 pm »

I already caught him, guys. He's now on an animal stockpile, waiting for the day when the squad of Team Kitty will be prepared to face his fury. Or maybe not, thank you all for helping :D

CarbonCopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:00:47 pm »

my suggestion is to use him for training marksdwarves. Smooth the walls of the pit, then carve them into fortifications. Bolts go in... and when enough of them go into the cyclops he comes out dead. ...but from what I've read ranged xp goes up more quickly with a live target.