Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Pleasure  (Read 30442 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasure
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2014, 08:23:21 am »

Two dwarves with decade-old permanent lung injuries are now suddenly "shaken after suffering a major injury." They have become stressed about it and there seems to be no way to cheer them up. Looks like I might lose these two.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2014, 11:22:43 am »

...is it acceptable to sig myself and another person? I really like that bridge vengeance thing.
Have you tried spoilering it?
I don't think it helps, only 500 characters... so you probably couldn't fit it unless you removed all the links for your quotes...

There is a thread for sig quotes started specifically because of this limitation, though you'll have to hunt down someone with the link in their own signature to find it (unless you like wading through the DF forum search engine)
It's in my sig.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2014, 03:17:23 pm »

Odd... I started a 40.14 Fortress with only Phoebus graphics and Dwarf Therapist to help me along, and I'm 5 years in, not only starting to get bedrooms smoothed out (I don't move in furniture until all the carving is completed), and haven't gotten any of these issues...

Then again, I am in a very young world.

I don't think my population caps for my Fortress would change anything for the frequency of this issue, would they? (Max 250, no migrants unless less than 7 Dwarves.)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2014, 03:20:29 pm »

Heh, one of my saddos just killed another Dwarf in a fight.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2014, 06:32:23 pm »

You're probably better off atomsmashing every single dwarf that starts to miss a loved one.
*afterwards*
"Well I'm down to one dwarf currently."
'They still threw tantrums?'
"No, they started to miss the ones I smashed, so those ones got smashed."
'Oh, so the only one who didn't throw a tantrum is left?'
"Not quite, they just smashed the lever before I could get them to smash themselves, and they're currently moping around the halls wishing there was someone to talk to, or more likely punch."

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:50 pm »

With all this pleasure nonsense, is it still possible to mistreat and torment a dwarf systematically until he no longer cares anymore?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2014, 10:14:03 pm »

Probably, but methods may need to be refined. The discipline skill is the real game changer on that front though, perhaps a dwarf with high discipline won't be as traumatized by horrifying things? Science on that front is still very much an open field.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2014, 08:51:18 am »

It seems to be nigh impossible to make a stressed out dwarf happy again though, I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. And the migrants being permanently stressed from separating from their loved ones as a cause of migrating from their previous home is also something I hope will be fixed.

Having a refuse stockpile near the fort's entrance is also a death sentence pretty much, every time the dwarves walk past the skeletons of whatever they get shaken even further.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2014, 09:13:06 am »

Odd... I started a 40.14 Fortress with only Phoebus graphics and Dwarf Therapist to help me along, and I'm 5 years in, not only starting to get bedrooms smoothed out (I don't move in furniture until all the carving is completed), and haven't gotten any of these issues...

Then again, I am in a very young world.

I don't think my population caps for my Fortress would change anything for the frequency of this issue, would they? (Max 250, no migrants unless less than 7 Dwarves.)

Pretty much this. The moment Dwarf Therapist came out with their temporary version I installed Pheobus and fired up a new world. No problems with any of my dwarves and some of them have crazy big families.

Has anyone read up on the personalities of the dwarves that refuse to cheer up? Toady recently stated that certain personality types only get small bonuses from happy thoughts. I imagine any dwarf that values family above all else would also multiple negative family thoughts higher than a dwarf thats just soso about family.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2014, 10:02:35 am »

Quote from: Orkel
It seems to be nigh impossible to make a stressed out dwarf happy again though, I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. And the migrants being permanently stressed from separating from their loved ones as a cause of migrating from their previous home is also something I hope will be fixed.

Having a refuse stockpile near the fort's entrance is also a death sentence pretty much, every time the dwarves walk past the skeletons of whatever they get shaken even further.

A lot of stress in my current fortress was related to troglodyte death (when I did agriculture in open cavern for the first years) and people seeing the corpses when refuse hauling - although I magma dump them pretty soon (fortress sits at magma / lowest cavern level). I completely reset labors to maximize happiness (made the guy with anvil preference the new smith) and reduce exposure to corpses - w/ much specialized hauling happening now. Guess this is how it works in the modern world as well, when plenty/most people haven't seen a corpse in their life.

I play in a young pocket world so I had no family relation problems at start. But I had a stressed couple nonetheless, one of them is a legendary warrior and got stressed despite legendary discipline and not caring anymore. After sparring in the new deluxe barracks with permanent waterfall for a month or two she recovered from the stress. So conscription, being forced to take new standardized, precious silk clothing and sparring in a waterfall is my new procedure.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2014, 12:18:44 pm »

I have problems with sadness, too.

Genned this world in 40.14 with a 350 year history. Had a 150+ pop fort, but abondoned for 40.15 and started a new one.
Now I'm 8 years into this fort and about half my population is stressed because they're "missing a loved one" that did not migrate to my new fort together with them. Even some that have their husband/wife and extended family with them are still stressed because one or two of their 8 children is still missing.
It has become so bad that tantrums are so common repairs to my forts infrastructure have become a near full time job and my hospital is filled with over 20 dwarfs that have broken bones and bruises.

I've taken steps to seperate the productive members of society from the rioting masses but if this keeps escalating I see no other choice but to initiate mass-drownings.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:21:55 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2014, 05:37:35 pm »

I've taken steps to seperate the productive members of society from the rioting masses but if this keeps escalating I see no other choice but to initiate mass-drownings.

In the latest icy aquifer fort I've been working on, I didn't have to initiate them. The ice melted, a miner who had been iced in floated in the water, the next thing I know, there's a mass drowning happening right there FOR me. Soon the only dwarf left was a walled-in weregiraffe Chief Medical Dwarf. The migrants arrived, they were fine when it was icy, the moment the water melted again, they saw the drowned dwarfs in the ice mine, and they initiated a second mass drowning. They didn't even KNOW the first lot! But in they all went, and they all drowned. {facedesk}

Chief medical dwarf is still walled in, but I'm getting tired of this.

...do not drink the kool-aid in my little chunk of the taiga...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2014, 06:55:09 am »

...do not drink the kool-aid in my little chunk of the taiga...
Can I sig that?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2014, 03:06:34 pm »

So apparently my WAR DOGS are stressed. I have no idea why; they haven't seen combat in like ever, just hanging out chained around the depot.

Maybe they know they'll be replaced by bears by the end of the year.

Either way, all dogs showing a red arrow have been sent to 'guard' the butcher's shop. I'm not going to wait around for one to go berserk and chase off a caravan or something.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »

Maybe animals really hate being chained now? I didn't think toady would give pets emotions like that, but I suppose its appropriate given the context.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10