Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Pleasure  (Read 30392 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasure
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2014, 10:17:43 pm »

Another option for dealing with migrants missing people is to not have migrants. It would need some modding to ensure a viable fortress, but it can be done. It's a slow game, but can have its own fun. Certainly gives you motive to create some kind of school for skill training with minimal chances for injury.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2014, 11:52:26 pm »

I've taken steps to seperate the productive members of society from the rioting masses but if this keeps escalating I see no other choice but to initiate mass-drownings.

In the latest icy aquifer fort I've been working on, I didn't have to initiate them. The ice melted, a miner who had been iced in floated in the water, the next thing I know, there's a mass drowning happening right there FOR me. Soon the only dwarf left was a walled-in weregiraffe Chief Medical Dwarf. The migrants arrived, they were fine when it was icy, the moment the water melted again, they saw the drowned dwarfs in the ice mine, and they initiated a second mass drowning. They didn't even KNOW the first lot! But in they all went, and they all drowned. {facedesk}

Chief medical dwarf is still walled in, but I'm getting tired of this.

...do not drink the kool-aid in my little chunk of the taiga...

This is some horror story shit.

Imagine, a group of migrants finds an abandoned town. There's no sign of the previous population. The beds are made, personal belongings are neatly stored, and the food stockpile is full. Hell, the fields had even been furrowed and the first crop of the season planted! It was like everyone had just stepped out one day an never returned, but nobody could figure out why.
There were other mysteries. A large portion of the mines appeared to have been flooded at some point during the past, and flooded over. But that was no matter; a skilled miner could easily dig a new mineshaft. That was no reason to abandon the fortress.
More disturbing was the Room. Nobody knew why it had been sealed off. The door-frame had been replaced with a rather hastily constructed barrier. Once, a child pressed their ear up against it. They swore they heard scratching, and bestial screams. Since then, the dwarves avoided that section of the fort altogether.

So the dwarves persists. Despite the unease they all feel, this place is a golden opportunity, and the dwarves are happy to exploit it. It was a historical chance: a pre-established dwarven utopia, and it was all theirs!
Then came the thaw. One by one, the dwarves came down to bear witness. The flooded mines, heated by some unseen force. The bloated bodies, dozens - maybe even a hundred of them - floating to the surface, their features scarred by the ice. The mute horror.
For weeks afterwards an almost supernatural terror grows. Then the madness starts. One by one, the dwarves disappear. All assume that the others are lashing out in their panic, and paranoia reigns. Some decide that the others must be killed before they can kill them - but nobody ever finds a body. Eventually there is but one child left. He does not know where his family has gone - he only knows its far too frightening for him to stay in the once inhabited section of the town. So he flees deeper into the fortress, seeking a place the adults never went. He sees a curious, bricked-over door-frame. He presses his ear to it.
He hears sobbing.

Before he knows it, the child finds himself at the mineshaft. His friends, his family, stare up at him from below the surface of the waters.
He closes his eyes and steps into the freezing murk.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2014, 12:36:50 am »

Can I sig that?
Sure! Any time! {laughs} I didn't realise it was that good. Thankyou!

I've taken steps to seperate the productive members of society from the rioting masses but if this keeps escalating I see no other choice but to initiate mass-drownings.

In the latest icy aquifer fort I've been working on, I didn't have to initiate them. The ice melted, a miner who had been iced in floated in the water, the next thing I know, there's a mass drowning happening right there FOR me. Soon the only dwarf left was a walled-in weregiraffe Chief Medical Dwarf. The migrants arrived, they were fine when it was icy, the moment the water melted again, they saw the drowned dwarfs in the ice mine, and they initiated a second mass drowning. They didn't even KNOW the first lot! But in they all went, and they all drowned. {facedesk}

Chief medical dwarf is still walled in, but I'm getting tired of this.

Imagine, a group of migrants finds an abandoned town. There's no sign of the previous population. The beds are made, personal belongings are neatly stored, and the food stockpile is full. Hell, the fields had even been furrowed and the first crop of the season planted! It was like everyone had just stepped out one day an never returned, but nobody could figure out why.
There were other mysteries. A large portion of the mines appeared to have been flooded at some point during the past, and flooded over. But that was no matter; a skilled miner could easily dig a new mineshaft. That was no reason to abandon the fortress.
More disturbing was the Room. Nobody knew why it had been sealed off. The door-frame had been replaced with a rather hastily constructed barrier. Once, a child pressed their ear up against it. They swore they heard scratching, and bestial screams. Since then, the dwarves avoided that section of the fort altogether.

So the dwarves persists. Despite the unease they all feel, this place is a golden opportunity, and the dwarves are happy to exploit it. It was a historical chance: a pre-established dwarven utopia, and it was all theirs!
Then came the thaw. One by one, the dwarves came down to bear witness. The flooded mines, heated by some unseen force. The bloated bodies, dozens - maybe even a hundred of them - floating to the surface, their features scarred by the ice. The mute horror.
For weeks afterwards an almost supernatural terror grows. Then the madness starts. One by one, the dwarves disappear. All assume that the others are lashing out in their panic, and paranoia reigns. Some decide that the others must be killed before they can kill them - but nobody ever finds a body. Eventually there is but one child left. He does not know where his family has gone - he only knows its far too frightening for him to stay in the once inhabited section of the town. So he flees deeper into the fortress, seeking a place the adults never went. He sees a curious, bricked-over door-frame. He presses his ear to it.
He hears sobbing.

Before he knows it, the child finds himself at the mineshaft. His friends, his family, stare up at him from below the surface of the waters.

Oh, it gets better than that. There were human merchants, bemused, standing above in the Trade Depot when the migrants arrived. They had traded with the last dwarf alive, some of our leftover wooden shields for some of their fresh raspberries and other fruit. The trader dwarf had then left them, and gone and thrown himself down the drowning hole with the rest. The migrants then arrived, milled around for ages, moved our sheep into a new paddock, moved in to the beds, obviously had a few confused conversations with the human merchants.

...I've been trying to come up with the conversations they must have had. Honestly, I can't get past "Oh, yeah, there was a trader here a few days ago... Don't know where he went, said he was just going to get a drink, I thought he was one of you guys..." I assume the human trader finds it hard to tell any of these dwarfs apart.

The madness starts. Yes. One by one, so slowly that I didn't even notice at first, the migrants disappeared.

God it's creepy...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:44:31 am by Thisfox »
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2014, 02:45:30 am »

Are the dwarves actually deliberatly committing suicide, or is this a combination of oblivious-mental-state pathfinding with fort design?

(in previous versions of the game, one of the insanity states (stark raving mad?) would run around between meeting rooms while ignoring any absence of floor between them and their destination. This sometimes led to falling into pits or moats depending on fort design. Allegedly melancholy dwarves would attempt to jump from places, but I have never witnessed that - mine just ambled around very slowly until they starved)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2014, 04:35:13 am »

It is at the far end of a corridor, I don't think they're going there intentionally to drown themselves though. I believe (I could be horribly wrong) that they are saying "Oh, look, a dead body, I'd better pull that out of the water"... Splash.... then dying and the next dwarf comes along and says "Oh, look, a dead body, I'd better pull that out of the water", because on occasion I get "Urist McIdiot has been found dead, drowned" (not with every dwarf, mind, but by this time there's a lot of clothing floating in that there water, and four picks, and a lot of other stuff people were carrying, and I think some dwarfs don't see the dead body, they see the inevitable *pigtail fibre sock* and go to pick it up, drown quietly, and never get reported).

I have only ever once had a dwarf depressed due to a missing lost loved one (She had met a forgotten beast which set itself, her, and the dining/kitchen area on fire) and he eventually killed himself because he missed his wife so much. I have no idea why some people are having issues with loved ones being in different forts: My dorfs seem happy to be here. They just need to be taught to swim before they go in that particular area.

It's actually a failed attempt at an aquifer bust, the more successful attempt is at the far end of the fort, closer to the depot.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2014, 04:43:55 am »

The game isn't reporting it properly when relatives get kidnapped by gobs, which then seems like the game loses track of when to have the thought lose potency, because it isn't actually a "relative is at another fort" but it isn't listed correctly as "relative was kidnapped by gobs" either. Didn't he fix that for 40.15? Nevermind, possibly 40.16, probably 40.17 apparently.

As for the stressed war dogs... I've got a named Bat Man in my caverns with a named spear and 100 kills, 56 of them crundles (my god what a mess) and now that the couple minor wounds he had are healed his 'w' screen just shows him being stressed.

Not sure what he is stressed about... running out of stuff to kill? Maybe he realized he doesn't have any pants on and has to kill anything which sees his bat-junk flopping around?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:47:54 am by Max™ »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2014, 01:01:54 am »

His parents were killed by a crundle.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2014, 02:33:17 am »

Took me a second to get that, well played.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2014, 02:12:40 pm »

If that was the case, he wouldn't be killing the crundles, just beating them unconscious and moving on to the next ones.  :P
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2014, 02:23:28 pm »

If that was the case, he wouldn't be killing the crundles, just beating them unconscious and moving on to the next ones.  :P
Make sure you keep your dwarves safe, especially the ones with high comedian skill

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:13 pm »

He's the hero Dragonbabies needs, but the dorfs will be fine, he's unarmored and they're all training in hopeful anticipation of goblin fun soon, honestly I doubt he'd make the climb through the bedroom shooting gallery, do bat men fly?

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2014, 04:35:47 am »

do bat men fly?
They've got BODY:HUMANOID_NECK_FLIER and COPY_TAGS_FROM:BAT, so probably yes.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2014, 05:05:03 am »

We should mod belts into the game.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2014, 07:03:23 am »

In the latest icy aquifer fort I've been working on, I didn't have to initiate them...

He hears sobbing.

God it's creepy...

The Siren Song of the +Silk Sock+

=D
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:53 am »

We should mod belts into the game.
I've never looked at the raws for items, but aren't the "can put stuff in" tokens only available for handheld items?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10