Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Pleasure  (Read 30396 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasure
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:31 pm »

Urist McMason derived pleasure from depressing a masterwork pleasure plate recently...

... due to the masterwork statue it's triggering revealed.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:08 am »

Holy crap is the 'separated from a loved one' emotion overly powerful.

It's been a year and eight immigrant dwarves are STILL stressed over it despite having bliss and pleasure all over the place since they've arrived.

One went to 'haggard', smashed his workshop and then chased down a dwarf he never met AFAIK and punched her until she puked.

I constructed a good old fashioned happy thought jail with a nice table throne, gold chain and masterwork bed.

Over his 45 day sentence, he 'sank into depression' twice, then when he was released, he immediately went to have a bath and 'started stumbling around, oblivious to reality'.

He was like that for five days, wandering at random and hanging out with my pigs until he had to sleep and snapped out of it.

After that, after ALL that and getting back to the Quaters-level room with a masterwork cabinet in it and smoothed walls, he is STILL STRESSED.

Not only that, but the sad thoughts aren't being driven down the list. He is just infinitely sad forever.

Not sure if this is a bug or not. It seems odd that a year's worth of nothing but joy can't even put a dent in something they got purely as a result of migrating.

Speaking of which, it seems parent can migrate without their children even 'youngest' children, who have to be still 'Child' because they bought a ten-year old with them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2014, 12:55:30 am »

I'm going to put masterwork mechanism "pleasure plates" all over the place to raise moral.
I'm uh... I'm not sure what I expected when I clicked on this thread, but this is definitely not it.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2014, 03:51:03 am »

As much as I approve depression from isolation from your family, having a dwarf throwing a tantrum for having migrated is overkill.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2014, 07:12:38 am »

PTW
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2014, 08:27:38 am »

This is anti turtling?  maybe  you need to screen migrants in their own dorm?  non of this is unheard of in migrants, irl.  Somebody with a justice system should test this. also if Im reading this correct there are  nonlethal resulotions?   nobody is beserking or drinking kool aid?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:30:28 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »

I'm going to put masterwork mechanism "pleasure plates" all over the place to raise moral.
I'm uh... I'm not sure what I expected when I clicked on this thread, but this is definitely not it.
Let's just hope the plates don't trigger an upright spike.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2014, 01:43:06 pm »

This is anti turtling?  maybe  you need to screen migrants in their own dorm?  non of this is unheard of in migrants, irl.  Somebody with a justice system should test this. also if Im reading this correct there are  nonlethal resulotions?   nobody is beserking or drinking kool aid?

No, none of that would do anything.
You can't fix a dwarf that wants to see some long lost cousin. Unless the cousin comes to the fortress. It looks like this emotion is too powerful for dwarves to work normally.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:04 pm »

You can't fix a dwarf that wants to see some long lost cousin. Unless the cousin comes to the fortress. It looks like this emotion is too powerful for dwarves to work normally.

Sure you can fix them: magma bath, preferably before they have a chance to make friends. Better than letting some sad sack make everybody else miserable.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »

Perhaps this may give a purpose to my idea of a highly modular fort where the only communication is via minecarts.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »

Perhaps this may give a purpose to my idea of a highly modular fort where the only communication is via minecarts.
"Well, doctor, one day I was really craving some physical contact.  So I stood on the tracks in the path of the minecart."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 03:29:20 pm »

"Well, doctor, one day I was really craving some physical contact.  So I stood on the tracks in the path of the minecart."
"Dear Diary... Today my penpal didn't reply. I'm worried. Usually the food minecart is along by now..."
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2014, 04:48:10 pm »

AleRing has succumbed to dwarven angst syndrome.

I did everything to improve my legendary Weaver's mood, putting him up in an opulent bedroom with a private dining room stocked with superior prepared meals and all gold furniture, plenty of work that satisfied him.

He achieved his dream of making a masterwork, made an artifact, and yelled at my mayor all the time.

He never. Stopped. Being. Haggard.

And finally, he smashed his clothier's shop again, started four fist fights with dwarves in his own family who also had Dwarven Angst Syndrome, and picked a fight with my giant barn owl, who split his arm open.

It was so bad that my militia beat him before dragging his ass to jail.

His DAS-afflicted family then tuned depressed of oblivious before on broke his hospital bed and threw the doctor down the under-construction well.

It's now a full-on riot as I can't sic the militia on them until the reports resolve and they're punching the crap out of everyone, uncluding members of the OTHER family that's so broken up over their long lost son to ever feel more than fleeting joy again.

I've seen Forgotten beasts with misama rotting syndromes that caused less complete and cascading tantrum spirals.

The long lost cousin is the new King of Beasts.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2014, 04:59:26 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Playing around with the numbers attached to various stressors today so it can calculate stability changes over time. Compared to the way it used to work with the sum of happiness/unhappiness numbers, there's an extra layer of smoothing out that should work against sudden spiral behavior from one catastrophe, though the overall strain on the fort from a catastrophe might last longer if the dwarves don't have nice things in their lives.

Well I guess some stressors need to decay faster in presence of good mood-inducing things :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »

He never. Stopped. Being. Haggard.

I JUST had that happen. A dwarf lost a friend to a cave troll attack, and hung around in the hospital being haggard for ages. I finally realised he was trying to complain to the mayor, who is our only injury (I think the broken finger is from a falling tree back when we first moved in? I'm not certain) and was elected entirely because everyone who brings her a bucket of water gets to know her and evidently voted for her. Then he finally tantrumed, hit someone, they hit him back, and I called in the police. They were both tethered for assault, right next to each other XD but were really nice to each other, and now both are happy. I think perhaps gaol time was good for them.

Perhaps you could send them to gaol if they're being haggard? Worked for mine. He felt "guilty", just like another (female) dwarf who I had tethered a little way away from the brawlers, who had failed to make enough of a work order for the last mayor (who has mysteriously disappeared).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10