Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Pleasure  (Read 29940 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Pleasure
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 07:32:21 pm »

I have this one engraver dwarf, shameless thing he is. He's pretty much always getting "pleasure" from pretty much every furniture piece I have plus things like the bridges and the depot. And then he chats with his lover and she gets "aroused." And I'm all like: "Take that stuff out of my dining hall, there are children present you creeps. ಠ_ಠ"

I just- the mental images are too much, you know?

On the flip side I'm really starting to see the population as something other than number sets to be refined or culled at my leisure. If Urist McStatueFetish were to suddenly die in a tragic knitting accident I'd feel like my game lost something special.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:35:10 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 08:17:05 pm »

I have this one engraver dwarf, shameless thing he is. He's pretty much always getting "pleasure" from pretty much every furniture piece I have plus things like the bridges and the depot. And then he chats with his lover and she gets "aroused." And I'm all like: "Take that stuff out of my dining hall, there are children present you creeps. ಠ_ಠ"

I just- the mental images are too much, you know?

On the flip side I'm really starting to see the population as something other than number sets to be refined or culled at my leisure. If Urist McStatueFetish were to suddenly die in a tragic knitting accident I'd feel like my game lost something special.
I'm pretty sure pleasure means happiness. If not, Dwarves are really perverted.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 08:18:23 pm »

And I'm all like: "Take that stuff out of my dining hall, there are children present you creeps. ಠ_ಠ"

I was seriously concerned when a dwarf and his wife both mentioned pleasure from dining hall tables. Guys, I'm making bedrooms as fast as I can, okay? And migrant housing might be public, but at least it's not got children present. You eat off those tables, honestly...

And yes, there's this dwarf who gets happy every time she walks past the gem temporary storage. Little Miss Gem Fetish is destined to be some sort of unexpected countess, I can see it happening already... (I've tried to get her interested in cutting/setting gems, but she's determined to do anything but actually work in a jewelers. She wants them on her furniture, no doubt, or on her clothing, she doesn't want to work them herself) and despite the fact that I can see her being a problem noble, I have got a bit attached to her musings about how beautiful the gems are today...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 10:05:47 pm »

Why not make her your bookkeeper and set up a nice, jewel encrusted throne for her in the middle of the gem stockpile? =3
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 11:22:33 am »

I just started a fresh embark, and before long it started raining. Everyone was still outside, and they were all frustrated and annoyed to be caught in the rain. Except for one guy, who felt nothing. Oddly, he felt the need to specify that he felt nothing.

I also noticed that the little blurb at the top of the status screen changes depending on the situation. Nice.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 11:59:48 am »

That is a nice setup. It'd be nice if the initial blurb matched the dwarf's personality, but since it updates it's not a big issue. It just makes it a little harder to find the initial fit for each dwarf.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 12:12:35 pm »

Why not make her your bookkeeper and set up a nice, jewel encrusted throne for her in the middle of the gem stockpile? =3
It's hard enough for dwarves to keep track of all the stuff in the fortress, why would you want to distract her with shiny gems all around?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »

Oddly, he felt the need to specify that he felt nothing.
That Dwarf is Bookkeeper material :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »

I wonder how frequent that is. I haven't run into it yet, but I haven't really run into anything my dwarves should feel neutral about. We've just been hauling, digging, making things, and keeping records.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 08:53:35 pm »

Now I have a guy who is interested in all his furniture.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 08:55:12 pm »

Oh gawd...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »

Now I have a guy who is interested in all his furniture.

I couldn't resist, this is even funnier than the pleasure comments.

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »

The carpenter must be making some very particular designs, the whole fortress finds his furniture to be interesting.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »

Yep, suddenly everyone is interested in the new furniture... Especially the grown wooden chests we bought from the elves when the big burst of migrants arrived and I was doing some home decorating... but also all the stone tables we got made up for the new dining hall. Not sure what's so interesting about them. They're just tables.

I am assuming the pleasure they're all experiencing in the new dining hall is due to the native gold walls and pillars, and the food....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:11 pm »

Supposition:

Depending on how detailed Toady One went with the new multi-faceted emotion system, it could be that the actual decorations on these items could hold more complicated reactionary meanings to the dwarves viewing them.

EG, a dwarf with a problem with social anxiety and a fear of fluffy wamblers may be utterly traumatized by having a sardonic statue of him being terrorized by fluffy wamblers inserted into his bedroom, since it would play on both his fear of fluffy wambers and his social anxiety.

This is a great opportunity for SCIENCE.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10