Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NEWS FLASH: Dwarves Experimenting with Multi-Item Hauling  (Read 3665 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEWS FLASH: Dwarves Experimenting with Multi-Item Hauling
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 06:18:20 am »

Even if it currently is limited, just the fact that Toady has it figured out and can expand from there is reason enough to get excited. I doubt this is the final patch before Toady delves back into the deep waters of the next big release, so it's possible that before he does we'll have a general hauling update that makes everything more efficient around our fortresses.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 11:15:57 am »

I can't wait. I just routed an undead siege, but they were scattered all over the map and my military hunted each one down individually and made them into many small bits. My dwarves have spent the past year and a half hauling body bits and assorted armour to the atom smasher or furnaces because they go to pick up a toe and nothing else. One toe. They trek the equivalent of about a kilometer out to this toe, pick it up, and then trek back to the atom smasher carrying only the toe. Seeing this behaviour eradicated would make me a very happy overseer.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:31:13 am »

I can't wait. I just routed an undead siege, but they were scattered all over the map and my military hunted each one down individually and made them into many small bits. My dwarves have spent the past year and a half hauling body bits and assorted armour to the atom smasher or furnaces because they go to pick up a toe and nothing else. One toe. They trek the equivalent of about a kilometer out to this toe, pick it up, and then trek back to the atom smasher carrying only the toe. Seeing this behaviour eradicated would make me a very happy overseer.
Now if I could just keep my militia from knocking out dozens of teeth.  Or a much smarter hauling algorithm.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 10:43:05 pm »

A bag full of teeth.  :P

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:07:10 am »

I ran a one-dwarf fortress once, and it was amazing to see how much time and effort he wasted trying to accomplish the simplest of tasks. I had to turn off fishing, because it would go like this:

1) Catch fish.
2) Drop fish by riverbank.
3) Return to fortress.
4) Get barrel.
5) Return to river.
6) Put fish in barrel.
7) Take barrel back to fortress.
8) Return to river.
9) Continue fishing.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 12:52:18 am »

And then he has to clean the fish. Farming is better for that. Butchery requires him to haul all pieces so they don't rot. And then to process the skin and anything else he wants to use. With farming, he builds the plots, sows the seeds, and then goes to do other things until his crops come in.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:55 am »

At this point, the idea of this behavior change getting expanded to things other than plant gathering sounds not only cool, but also kinda necessary.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 12:53:07 am »

It is necessary. It was always necessary, it just never got done so we adapted to dwarves picking up one item at a time. Ideally a dwarf would bring whatever container it could use for a job, and pick up every item it could without being so weighed down it took a year to get back to the stockpile. Bring a barrel to the butcher, pick up every bit of meat at once. That'd be ideal.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 05:58:29 pm »

I am not holding breath, judging from misimplementation of bin hauling.

In theory dwarf takes bin, collect all needed things and returns. In practice, he takes bin (blocking items already in bin for everyone else), goes, takes SINGLE item and returns. In other words, it is worse than previously. Yay.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:17 pm »

Since I haven't gone back into the archive to read about that change when it was happening, I don't know what they were meant for. They seem more a storage-side rather than hauling upgrade. In practice, while they injured item use, they were a godsend to storage, since you could keep more than one item in a single tile without a quantum pile. And they do actually help hauling during things like trade, since they make a single hauling job move several items instead of one.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 11:35:18 am »

You had bins before that, they would just take every item to the bin, instead of the other way around.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:17 pm »

I've seen instances where a few townsfolk tagged plants for harvesting, one took a bin and picked them all by itself rather than running back to the stockpile for someone else to harvest.

So we already do have a bit of multi-item hauling in the game.
Pages: 1 [2]