Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like to see in the next update the most?

More maneuvers
- 0 (0%)
Better/more AI  
- 1 (33.3%)
Multiple battles/Campaign mode
- 0 (0%)
More wounds/status effects
- 1 (33.3%)
Items and Equipment
- 0 (0%)
Two player hotseat
- 1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Text Based Fighting Game (Using DF-like combat)  (Read 4957 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Based Fighting Game (Using DF-like combat)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 12:05:02 am »

Oops, it seems I was mistaken earlier. I have to compile the program in each of the three different platforms (Win, Mac and Linux) that will then generate 3 different versions, each one compatible with its respective platform.

This will take some work, as I'll have to mess around with Virtual Machines to emulate each of the platforms. For now I've updated the file to include a folder with all the base .py files so that it can be run on any environment so long as python (2.7) is installed (I didn't use any third-party libraries, so it should be good to go).

Sorry about that, but I should hopefully have the linux and mac compatible versions in the future.

You can still use the link in the previous post as I've updated the file.

Alright, well on Mac and most Linux distributions (I think), Python 2.7 comes preinstalled, so its not a problem, the problem is people being able to find it and run it from the terminal, but I think most people can handle that.

Also it took me a couple more steps to get it to work, because I don't have PIL on my computer. Instead, I converted the background image to a .gif then used Tkinter's PhotoImage class to load it. I'd suggest that approach because it's more cross-platform.

Also I realize its a work in progress, but I think it'd be good to have sliders as well as a text field for entering in your character's stats, because I personally have no idea what sorts of numbers are reasonable. I didn't play around with it too much other than making a character though.

Sliders are a great idea. Right now it just prints a message when the values go over (or under) their limits but sliders would take care of several problems. As for reasonable numbers, there will be a point buy system later on which should take care of that, for the stats however, there is a hard limit of 1 to 9 (so again, a slider works very well).

The image is a great idea too, I did the background image sometime ago so I forgot that I used PIL (I initially meant to convert the image to gif as well but just forgot about it).

In any case I'm glad you were able to get it working. I'm sure there are other bugs and I'd be very grateful if you could post them here if (when) you find any.

Thanks again!

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 08:39:58 am »

Sliders are a great idea. Right now it just prints a message when the values go over (or under) their limits but sliders would take care of several problems. As for reasonable numbers, there will be a point buy system later on which should take care of that, for the stats however, there is a hard limit of 1 to 9 (so again, a slider works very well).

The image is a great idea too, I did the background image sometime ago so I forgot that I used PIL (I initially meant to convert the image to gif as well but just forgot about it).

In any case I'm glad you were able to get it working. I'm sure there are other bugs and I'd be very grateful if you could post them here if (when) you find any.

Thanks again!

Alright, I just went through a full fight, and there weren't any crashes or anything (I lost :( ). Are you planning on converting it to be completely GUI based later? If not, I'd also suggest streamlining the console printing (there are lots of empty lines), by clearing the screen and such, because it gets slightly confusing. Other than that, I don't really see much that needs fixing right now.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:56 am »

Thanks again!

Alright, I just went through a full fight, and there weren't any crashes or anything (I lost :( ). Are you planning on converting it to be completely GUI based later? If not, I'd also suggest streamlining the console printing (there are lots of empty lines), by clearing the screen and such, because it gets slightly confusing. Other than that, I don't really see much that needs fixing right now.

Yep, I didn't focus too much on the console printing for that reason. Certain things which are given in the console will be represented in the GUI some other (more graphical) way. For example, you will be able to select the body parts by clicking on parts of an image instead of selecting from a list, maneuvers will probably be replaced by a drop-down menu, etc.

The easiest way to win is to go consistently for body parts with major organs that are also easy to hit. Head and upper body are pretty good for this. Since the wounds system is not fully fleshed out, there isn't much incentive yet to striking the limbs (except blood loss). One thing you do want to keep in mind, the game was designed with the principle that defense is more important than offence. If both players attack at the same time, one of them is going to die (usually the one that's slower). Defend, bide your time, than strike at the right moment.

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 12:49:01 am »

New version is up, you can get here, just extract the zip and run the exe. Or run the Androkles_gui.py from the terminal.

The updates list is short but important:
1. Moved most console stuff to the GUI "console"
2. Built a target menu for selecting body parts (still a work in progress, eventually I'll have both player's body parts represented)
3. Changed library for loading images so that no extra libraries are needed to run manually (thanks again to Kytuzian for letting me know about this)

Still a lot left to do, curious to know what you guys would like to see next the most (I put up a little poll as well):
1. More maneuvers
2. Better/more AI
3. Multiple battles/Campaign mode
4. More wounds/status effects
5. Items and Equipment
6. Two player hotseat
Pages: 1 [2]