Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Creating a Dwarf Forum game {processes, etc)  (Read 14792 times)

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a Dwarf Forum game {processes, etc)
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »

PTW, and I can do some grunt work in GIMP if you ever need it. And play, whenever you need those player things.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2015, 12:29:47 pm »

I appreciate the offer Urist Arrhenius, but honestly most of this stuff is already planned out in my head anyhow, if not all of it. What I'm having difficulty with is putting it all down in an economical, productive, and time effcient format that's easy to understand, because the ideas are complex and hard to relate to (see the event determination system for combat and everything else).

The only thing I'd go for is instructional videos or whatever on using GIMP, and instructions on how to link things in the posts, as was given last time but I still haven't managed to figure this out (I'm dumb sometimes). Players come later, much later. :)

Nobelad together with Esyalad, and Folagad

Folagad is west of Takad and roughly the same latitude. Esyalad is west of Nobelad and south of Both Takad and Folagad. The human Lord Calivhab rules over all three islands.

Folagad

Folagad is the second northernmost Island in the Loslakva Region, and is politically ruled by the Human Lord

Esyalad

Esyalad is the location of Krovic the Red's shipwreck, after a storm blew his ship impossibly off course from a forgotten land. Humans eventually dispersed to the other Loslakva Region Islands. That said, Esyalad is the oldest know and most developed human settlement in the Loslakva Region, and the current Lord Calivhab is a direct descendent of Krovic the Red.

Geographically Esyalad had a nearly 100% naturally conifer forested surface. Human logging and shipbuilding have sense cut down a portion of this, though the island is still mainly forested. [additional information placeholder]

Politically, the human Lord Calivhab is arguably the most powerful among human lords in the Loslakva Region, as he controls 3 of the eight islands (their surfaces). Krovic's Landing boasts a large shipbuilding industry, making ships powered by both oar and sail. Whereas other species and races may have spread among the Loslakva Region islands largely by means of underground tunnels, humans have done so exclusively by ship.

Nobelad

Nobelad Non Humans:

Bronze Bane Hold Hold
An ancient production center of the world, Bronze Bane Hold thrums with purposeful works. Many mistake "production" for "commerce" Bronze Bane Hold does not. Here, things are made in abundance to vanquish want, not to profit from it. Massive warehouses contain large surpluses of goods; even then loyalty and guild skill rule moreso than coin here.

Bronze Bane Hold is ruled by a counsel of skilled guilddwarves. All who achieve a guild rank of master are given vote, and all guild members may speak, but it is not wise to do so idly. The counsel votes on most things, though it often delegates its powers to special masters, generals, ministers, etc. The counsel reviews and overseas its appointed ministers and approves or disapproves their actions and continued appointment. Guilds are far from "corporations" they exist not for profit but to further their arts and the products of those arts. This does not mean Bronze Bane hold labors for free, quite the opposite, it will do so to maintain its freedom, power, and comfort. Kill is widespread; want is scarce.

Culturally, life in Bronze Bane Hold centers around guilds; they provide social, economic, and political stability. Production abundance means few do without in Bronze Bane Hold, and that abundance is traded for power. Though Bronze Bane Hold can field and impressive and certainly well equipped military, it would rather make friends of enemies than corpses. Several Dwarves have found it to their advantage to join rather than oppose Bronze Bane Hold.

Obligations, prohibitions and detriments of Culture of Bronze Bane Hold:
Guilds are central to everything and even run the government of Bronze Bane Hold, voting is bestowed to masters, members speak.
Enormous warehouses are constructed to hold vast surplus goods and input crafting materials.
A well regimented system based upon merit means new citizens are at a distinct disadvantage and non guild members have no voice.
Guildhalls are enormous and the guild counsel hall is even more enormous, requiring great resources and control thereof.
Citizens of Bronze Bane Hold expect the benefits of its culture and are sad without it.
Some citizens do not deal well with hardship and deprivation of their lifestyle

Benefits of aspect traits of Culture of Bronze Bane Hold:
Society itself is much improved for individuals and collectively, because want is largely vanquished by surplus goods. Needs are met, well. Happiness is increased with surplus.
Effort usually equals reward and opportunities for skill building abound.
Society is stable and rebellion or faction VERY limited overall from the population
Increased ability to produce in society

Religiously, Bronze Bane Hold worships Doranadav, God of the Forge and of the Crafter, who takes the world as it is and makes it what he wills for his people. Beneath Doravadav, is a pantheon of other craft and virtue related deities. This belief provides a steadying hand and several temples for socialization and various services to the devout. Said services include ritual worship, food, drink, recreational bathing facilities, and allotments of certain goods. Citizens of Bronze Bane Hold appreciate and after a fashion worship production and skill, so it is rarely abused. Though citizens (not non citizens) often get things without paying, that doesn't mean they don't earn it, as all citizens do labor at some task.

Obligations, prohibitions and detriments of religion of Doranadav, God of the Forge and of the Crafter:
When possible, elaborate temples must be constructed, almost entirely of stone or metal when possible.
When possible, temples must be stocked with at least trace amounts of raw crafting input materials must be stored in temple. More = better.
Doranadav Company Pantheon, Prayers must be said to all lesser deities under Dorandav once per month. 
Ceremonial Burial: When possible with body intact and with some crafting tools and raw materials. Busy in the afterlife.

Benefits of aspect traits of religion of Doranadav, God of the Forge and of the Crafter:
Increased quality of goods crafted created or made, via increased skill at crafting
Greater ability to repair via increased skill at doing so. Greater durability.
Innovative modification of crafted goods comes easier and more frequently.

The different levels of religion benefits for the Religion of Doranadav, God of the Forge and of the Crafter

Individual
1.) If an individual believer of the Religion of Doranadav, God of the Forge and of the Crafter has crafting skill and uses it, they receive a bonus to that crafting skill.
2.) Worshipers rarely if ever waste input crafting materials and cannot devastatingly fail crafting.
3.) Higher chance to increase quality of crafted product.

Community
1.) Higher skilled crafters. Higher quality goods. Less production waste. More durability in goods with easier repair.
2.) Grand temples provide several community services, social gathering places, public and private bathing and hygiene.
3.) Greater crafting knowledge base for patterns, recipes, formulas, blueprints and other matters concerning crafting.

Personally, citizens of Bronze Bane Hold enjoy a better and safer quality of life than most.

Organizations of Bronze Bane Hold:

The Guild Counsel:

The ruling body of Bronze Bane Hold composed of speaking guild members, and voted in by those with a guild rank of master or higher.

Sewwright's Guild:
Focusing upon clothiers, tailors, leatherworkers, tanners, weavers, and similar professions, the Sewwright Guild Provides Bronze Bane Hold's clothing and fabric needs. Clothes are mostly tailored to the individual Bronze Bane Hold Citizen and produced en mass. The Sewwright's Guild will strive to have in stock 100 outfits for every Bronze Bane Hold Citizen, though the individual citizen will probably never have even half that many in his or her closet. Certain Dwarven Citizens may be of similar sizes, but thankfully a surplus of skilled labor and materials means abundance stocked in warehouses. This includes laundering of clothes.

Forgewright's Guild 
Focusing on blacksmiths, smelters, Metalworkers, Armorers, weaponsmiths, and other metal related professions. While this guild is more specialized and produces less product by ton, they produce very important materials. Everyday household goods are often made out of wood or stone rather than metal, as those materials are more abundant. Production is focused upon armor and weaponry with metal being used in other applications only where needed.

Stonewright's Guild
They carved Bronze Bane Hold out of the stone itself and carved the stone to suit Dwarves. They create the buildings of Bronze Bane Hold through mining, masonry, or both. They also provide the basis of many built in furnishings and storage objects.

Woodwright's Guild

Cropwright's  Guild

Bakewright's Guild

[Placeholder for more guilds etc]

Krovic Empire: [Placeholder]

Ruled by Lord Calivhab, descendant of Krovic the Red, the empire consists of the Islands of Folagad, Esyalad, and Nobelad. The Empire's standing army and navy enforce Lord Calivhad's rule when needed, and ensure the safety of Krovic Merchants in foreign trading centers. The empire is a traditionalist monarchy with rule following Krovic the Red's bloodline. it is unquestionably the oldest, and largest Human Empire in the Loslakva Region.

Militarily, standard Krovic Imperial soldiers wear leather armor and wooden shields while fighting with spears. This enables them to fight equally well on land or sea (metal sinks, wood floats). Archers are present but actually looked down upon in Krovic society as unworthy of melee combat. Light cavalry exist in small numbers and sadly are rarely used to the greatest tactical effect, though flanking maneuvers are executed frequently. Imperial Krovic Ships are usually galleys focused on ramming enemy ships to sink them and naval ship to ship troop combat.

Culturally,

Religiously, the Krovic Empire's official deity is Ciava, the sea goddess, emphasis is placed upon praying for safe passage over the sea and blessing vessels for seaworthiness. Overall, there is surprisingly little focus upon worshiping sea creatures, but rather the focus is on the seagoing vessels themselves and to a lesser extent, travel in general.

Obligations, prohibitions and detriments of the Krovic Empire's Ciava, the sea goddess:
Temples are to be built with a sealed amount of sea water held in a holy relic container.
All harbors must contain temples, all docks must feature small shrines

Benefits of aspect traits of religion of Krovic Empire's Ciava, the sea goddess:

The different levels of religion benefits for the Religoin of Krovic Empire's Ciava, the sea goddess

Individual
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)

Community
1.)
2.)
3.) 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:45:47 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »

Here's a tutorial that has been used in an RtD on here, and made a good map. Even if you don't use it's overall process, I think it shows some cool stuff that can be done with masks to effectively make a map. There are also plenty of other tutorials on there. Even the PS ones could be used in GIMP with some modification.

If you have any specific questions about GIMP let me know and I'll try and answer them/find a tutorial which answers them.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 04:56:32 pm »

Post Contents:
1.) Internal Link attempt (failed again).
2.) Response to Urist Arrhenius (directly above).
3.) Land Creation

1.) I do not get internal links :)

2.) Hum, thank you.

I'm going to have to set some time aside and look at many guides for using different programs to achieve faster results. There is a certain charm to my older sytle of doing things but it is time consuming. As a side matter it also proves I did it along with the working pallets when I keep them, because nobody still does this stuff. I imagine I'll still use my texture dipping, checkeboard approach etc, but I realize it probably looks completely outdated when viewed by more up to date professionals, which I am not. I'm overall happy with my graphics, but I've seen remarkable examples from others using better programs. I may be able to replicate and in some cases improve upon those results, but it would take 10 times the work. Don't let your skills get dated....

(Additionally, there are some problems with fold down walls, when several rooms are near one another, but that's another post problem.)

So, in addition to continuing the graphics work, filling in more of the background, etc, I feel I also have other areas to discuss before I even get into gameplay design so it is understandable: economics and production for example. It's largely based upon my event resolution mechanic, as most of my work in this project is, but it's also got to be more complex. The bullshit they're teaching now in econ is just terrible. Things need supported by underlying industries and infrastructure to produce a relevant range of output.

What the hell am I talking about? I'll flesh a bit of it out tonight, but say you have a feild, how much food does it grow and how many people can that feed? See how these questions are required to build up anything and how this feeds in to every other industry?

3.) Land Creation
So it is my belief that especially for this game all economics and production grow from food creation, because it goes to basic survival and later frees up people to do more stuff, and other stuff.

Assuming some base truths (creatures eating plant material, and perhaps meat etc), making an imaginary land that can deal with this goes back to the Farmy McFarmy Example.

Dissecting this leaves us with two parts to Farmy McFarmy's attempt to create a farm plot, his success chance, and "the opposing nature's success chance" (aka the chance he will fail). I'm not getting into it again or in detail, but Farmy McFarmy has a character sheet in this example to determine what makes his success chance, and "nature" needs one too for this area he's trying to farm. THIS is a big part of creating land and imaginary areas for the player and indeed the entire world of NPCs.... The land itself all all its sub areas need character sheets.... Yeah. Think about that.

Either way, you have to look at it from a pragmatic, practical stance of what can be done with it in your modeling equations and the world they create/support/restrict and reflect. Simply, how is food generated:

1.) Foraging
2.) Hunting/Fishing (separate,but similar mechanics
3.) Herding/livestock
4.) Farming
5.) To a very limited extent mining and others in the case of salt, etc.

Those are the five main different types of food generation methods.

1.) Foraging: It depends upon the area, but typically foraging is the least productive, but requires little if any infrastructure, and Foraging is simplistically natural/location factors against skill and luck. Foraging can be done in tons of locations, but must be applicable (not on water for example).

2.) Hunting: This requires more than foraging while being more dangerous but is somewhat analogous to foraging. You're foraging for an animal to eat, and more or less combating it in some form. Hunting numbers for the land can be actually derived off of foraging through the food chain. Some herbivore could determine a predator's hunting ability, and that would determine population available for you to hunt which would determine in part YOUR hunting numbers to face off against. Terrain, what animals are present, and similar measures are your opposition score. Your score is based upon weapons used, skill and past experience, traps/bait, etc.

3.) Herding/Livestock: This is more difficult than foraging and a fair deal of infrastructure goes into it, as you are essentially keeping another species alive for food and goods production purposes. Livestock is perhaps a difficult to describe food production method because you're essentially creating a good (a cow or a goat or something) that is moveable, trade-able, preservable (don't slaughter it) as well as producing other materials perhaps. With livestock, the land and area you have them on are important, but they aren't the primary factor necessarily. You could have them all in very nice stables or special barn pens designed to give them the best environment or other things. Factors include degree of domestication, livestock food supply level, food quality level, health of livestock and medical/vet treatment, Number of livestock, base quality of livestock, etc (just like how some of the kobolds in the example had weapons and some didn't... better and worse quality livestock). There is a lot of investment into these base factors, and butchery is the meat harvesting skill to collect upon it, though other skills may lead to other products (milking, tanning, etc) depending upon the livestock animal.

4.) Farming: This is the most infrastructure intensive food production method, but potentially the most productive/rewarding. Farmy McFarmy gives a good simplified example of what it takes to set up the initial farm plot, but irrigation, repeat fertilization, crop rotation, and other matters factor in to individual food growth/production event resolution rolls. Farming takes a long time, but it is defensible, renewable, profitable, and productive.

5.) Mining is covered in another section and is only included here for completeness, same with the catch all "other" category.

Each of these tasks take multiple rounds, but farming especially takes a long time. Additionally, there are specializations that increase your chances of success. For example, you can try to forage a certain type of plant (better if trained and plant is present), or to catch a certain type of fish (better if trained and that if fish is present), or try to hunt a certain type of animal (better if trained and if that animal is present). Note that this doesn't work quite the same way with farming and herding/livestock, because EVERY Farming roll is specialized, because you're trying to grow a certain plant, just as every herding and livestock roll is specialized, because you're trying to sustain a certain animal. Also you might forage or catch a different animal while hunting than you were hoping to specialize towards, but you'll probably never grow a different type of crop than you planted or magically produce a different animal than is in the herd/flock/group.

So all of this leads to: Damn you Truean, will you just tell me how much food I can except to get out of a plot of land so I can plan stuff?

No, not yet. It's not that simple, but here's how it works in overly simplistic form. It depends upon the land, it depends upon whether you're foraging, hunting, herding/livestock, or farming, and it depends what you're farming etc. It also majorly depends upon:

Time Factors:

There are a couple of different main time factors.

Respawn Rate can be called different things based upon what it's applied to: regrowth rate (foraging), repopulation rate (hunting/fishing), etc. It basically says how often you can do stuff in terms of things being available for you to get them. Good luck foraging if the plants haven't regrown yet. Bad idea to hunt if you don't leave enough to make more of whatever you're hunting / wait until there's enough animals to hunt.

Respawn Rate varies primarily upon two things: A.) area of respawn, and B.) thing respawning, and it goes without saying that it matters how long ago you got the item. Some plants regrow faster than others; some animals have faster maturity rates. 

Roll Increments: Analogous to combat rounds, Roll Increments are essentially how long it takes you to do something. The more of them there are, the longer it takes you to do whatever the heck you're trying to do. Think of it in terms of your traditional RPG combat, because for whatever reason people relate better to that. The more HP something has, the longer it's generally gonna take to kill and the harder and more often you hit the sooner those HP disappear/it dies/you defeat it.

So you've got your task and that task has a Round Increment Requirement, with simple tasks requiring less and complex tasks requiring more. Same deal with the difficulty of doing it in the area you're doing it in (good luck making that farm plot on solid rock that's infested with ants, and the universe being dead set against you doing it). Abstractly, foraging has a lower RIR, Round Increment Requirement, than farming, which is significant.

There is of course some overlap sometimes, especially with farming, the respawn rate of some farming (which reflects plant maturity and fruit production age) is also effectively constrained by the RIR Roll Increment Requirement (which reflects all the work you have to do farming).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:49:35 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 12:02:12 am »

Growing Food, Plowing and field preparation (sorta continued):

I've gotten requests for how plants/crops are grown, as well as cooking and eating. Yes those are next on the list:

Farming: Once again, we go back to Farmy McFarmy, as our example farmer:

1st, we finish off making Farmy McFarmy's Plot of Land. We're going to be using the following example from that:
These are the contributing factors behind this as original material:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But that's not easy to look at is it? Let's try this instead:

Let's look at Farmy McFarmy on a basic level for purposes of this situation.

4: Human Base (Composed of cultural and religious, and species bonus)
Heirloom(2)
2: Hoe
2: Spade
2: Watering Can
2: Plow
Animal(s)
4: Strong Ox
Input(s)
5: Well Bred Plant Seeds
4: Fertilizer
3 Extra Time Weeding
Skill in Farming
5: Training (Family Oriented)
Assistance
6: Fieldy McFieldhand-in-Training

39 total contribution towards Farmy Mc Farmhand's success probability

Let's look at the opposition to Farmy:

Geographic and locational
2: Temperate Area
4: Underbrush needs clearing
4: God damn weeds
Seasonal
1: Mid Spring
Water Factors
1: Natural Spring
2: Fair Weather (Not that with a more advanced program, you could change out variables as the time passed but forget that for now).

14 Total opposition against Farmy

39/53 = 73.58% Mr. McFarmy's Chance without that gopher.

14/53 = 26.42% The universe's chance to STILL give Mr. McFarmy the finger even without that gopher.....

An Important Factor: AREA TO BE EFFECTED (Farming is done in acres or equivalent):

We have not talked about one crucial thing, how much land is Farmy McFarmy actually trying to cultivate here? Keep in mind I am assuming all relevant variables and inputs are constant and do not vary as we go over distance (which in real life isn't the case). How much does one roll represent? Well we go back to our last post and note the Roll Increments, and consider that effectively this is the case for ONE acre. Now really we could figure this out by taking speed functions like in game but you've got an ox dragging a plow in the ground.... or just like you could figure out how long it takes you to mow your yard with a push mower given the yard dimensions and mowing deck size. That's not practical here though and you're gonna need to abstract.

So how many roll increments are there for Farmy to prepare one farm area? In this case 2. Why two? If you take into account the equipment he is using, the area he is in, etc you're looking at about 2 days to get that one acre area plowed (I mean probably more even, brush and weed clearing, we don't want to think about the gophers again, plus some sort of irrigation using that spring, 3 isn't out of the question). You're also looking at the time period tech involved. He's got a freaking Ox... not a John Deer modern Tractor.... This is also presuming an 8 hour day. In certain cases he might be able to work longer hours, but it would eat into his happiness and exhaustion would eventually effect performance.

So this means he has to go and roll successfully and manage this roll effectively or equivalently 2 times.

Let's see his first Roll: 93. Excellent, this may qualify as a critical success, more on that later)
Second Roll: 38 (which is above the 26.42% required to succeed)

Congrats to Farmy McFarmy. He has successfully planted his 1st acre of field with carrots, and this represents 2 days of work. He is aiming for 10 acres. 9 more times...

2nd acre Took 2 days
1st Roll: 64
2nd Roll: 57

3rd acre Took 2 days (first one was a little rough)
1st Roll: 29 (Workable but he ran into some problems which he overcame)
2nd Roll: 45

4th acre Took 2 days
1st Roll: 70
2nd Roll: 61

5th acre Took 2 days
1st Roll: 40
2nd Roll: 53

6th acre Took 3 days, and was very difficult
1st Roll: 21 (Failure, not catastrophic by any means but this was a day he didn't get much done in)
2nd Roll: 54
3rd Roll: 29.76 (Roll 100 again to see if he manages the decimal percentage chance, and he does. Plowing here has been VERY difficult)

7th acre Took 2 days
1st Roll: 81
2nd Roll: 50

8th acre Took 3 days
1st Roll: 56
2nd Roll: 11 (Failure, not catastrophic, but didn't get much done)
3rd Roll: 39 (success, but clearly this area was harder for him to get done)

9th acre Took 2 days
1st Roll: 43
2nd Roll:35

10th acre Took 2 days
1st Roll: 54
2nd Roll: 48

Results of field plowing: (Leaving aside critical successes or catastrophic failures for now)

As you can see above, Farmy McFarmy with the assistance only of Fieldy McFieldhand-in-Training (and of course the Ox), took 22 days to plow and prep the area. Keep in mind he had a couple bad rolls and the place had weeds and brush and this was a job turning essentially wild land into farm land. If you wanted to do more land, perhaps you'd need more farmers, but for Farmy McFarmy's 10 acres from scratch, this works. This is just the planting stage. Keep in mind Farmy McFarmy's world is based on 13 months composed of 4 weeks, each with 7 days for a 364 day year, and he's only spent 22 days of that working 8 hours plowing fields. With this level of technology that's reasonable and if you want more plowed, then get more farmers to make more rolls/work more area.

Farming and Growing:

Forgetting what I'm sure are Farmy McFarmy's strange proclivities, he isn't plowing fields just for the heck of it. No, he'd like to grow some carrots in those 10 acres.
'
The question with Farming becomes how long it takes a crop to grow and how many can be grown in a given space (an acre). Well there are 6272640 square inches in 1 acre. We shall assume that at Farmy McFarmy's level of technology  (etc,etc,etc) that each carrot plant requires 12 square inches of space. The maximum number of carrots possible to grow in that acre can be abstracted to 6,272,640/12 = 522,720 individual carrots, per acre. I'm not going to get into the exact size of the carrot, because this is ridiculous enough already. :)

The Farming Roll Increments, will be determined by plant germination, and maturation in reproduction/food/fruit production. Here Carrots take about 3 weeks to germinate and let's say 3 months (some 2 months, some 4, average it), and you get a roll for each day/acre. You take the total time you're talking about, ( 3 weeks + 3 months = 11 weeks...  x 7 days = 77 days and 77 Roll increments) So you take 522,720 and divide by 77 = 6788 (round down) Each roll determines if 6788 plants survive to maturity all other things equal (nobody comes around burning your croplands etc).

The rolls are very similar to the planting roll:

Now usually, I would toss in other factors such as disease, pests, etc, but for the sake of simplicity (Truean, you don't have simlicity and you know it), we'll use the same chances as before for the example's sake (otherwise I'd create new ones): 

39/53 = 73.58%

14/53 = 26.42%

And results for example purposes:

16/77 did not make it, which means we had about a 20 or 21% crop failure, and that means
61/77 did make it .....

So you take 6788 x 61 = 414,068 Freaking carrots. There are 100 carrots in a bushel of carrots which means you grew about 4140 bushels of carrots. It took you all told about 99 days to get that many out of a 364 day year.

We're not gonna say these are enormous carrots or anything but yeah. This post doesn't get into things like eating/getting rid of hunger with food, or cooking and its benefits, or how long that many carrots would feed a dwarf, or anything like that yet. We're not getting into carrot juice, carrot cake, carrots as an ingredient in stews or as a garnish or anything yet. It will use up more carrots than you think, I imagine. This post also does not detail other food procurement method such as foraging, hunting/fishing/ etc. That's another post. :)  Please keep in mind these represent rolls for what a character is doing for 99 days out of the year with weeding, pest control, water management, etc, etc....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:48:21 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 10:24:59 am »

As far as I understand, it goes like this:

You create an 'anchor' in your post with
Code: [Select]
[anchor=anchorname][/anchor]

and then you can link to that anchor using

[iurl=anchorname][/iurl]

with as many links to one anchor as you like.

I'm not sure, but this may work across mulitple posts.

(Back to top)

So the table of contents would look like this:

Contents
Topic One - Farming
Topic Two - Combat

Topic One: Farming
Text goes here.

Back to contents.

Tpoic Two: Combat
Text goes here

Back to contents.

[anchor=tableofcontents][b]Contents[/b][/anchor]
[iurl=#topicone]Topic One - Farming[/iurl]
[iurl=#topictwo]Topic Two - Combat[/iurl]

[anchor=topicone][b]Topic One: Farming[/b][/anchor]
[quote]
Text goes here.
[/quote]

[iurl=#tableofcontents]Back to contents.[/iurl]

[anchor=topictwo][b]Tpoic Two: Combat[/b][/anchor]
[quote]
Text goes here
[/quote]

[iurl=#tableofcontents]Back to contents.[/iurl]

Does that help? Did I completely misunderstand?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2015, 02:13:59 am »

1.) Correspondence to Arx
2.) Food
3.) Cooking

Thanks Arx,

That extrapolated to many different posts and subjects is pretty much what I'm looking for. See table of contents, click on thing in table of contents, be directed to text on thing from table of contents. As long as I can get it to work (will have to verify that myself later and make it work for me) kudos and thank you.

2.) Food.

Most things in game must eat something or die eventually. This is taken into account with hunger, exhaustion, morale, and health mechanics. Without getting too into it at this point (later), not eating will: a.) increase your hunger and risk for death by starvation, b.) decrease the amount of actions a person can take, c.) provide a negative modifier to event determination chances, and d.) make one more susceptible to illness and disease. Conversely, eating will not only avoid negative aspects, but may bestow positive benefits.

Hunger is the result of the requirement of eating. While the exact amount may vary with the individual being in question, most living things require 3 meals a day or the equivalent to function normally (time of consumption does not matter effectively for hunger purposes). Absence of food and presence of hunger will lead to negative morale and other penalties.

Exhaustion is a result of overwork or being underfed (usually). In order to take certain actions, one can't be exhausted. Exhaustion can happen by degrees and may come from lack of food, sleep, etc. To avoid exhaustion, eat, sleep, rest, have some recreation, etc. (Oversimplification but true).

Negative food morale penalties, like negative sleep morale penalties, occur with hunger. The longer and greater hunger present, the greater the penalty. Conversely, good food can provide a morale bonus.

Health can be effected by nutrition or lack thereof. Similar to negative food morale penalties, a character will receive negatives when determining if illness effects them without food and rest. The opposite is also true.

3.) Cooking and food preparation

Cooking improves food in several ways. Uncooked food may be dangerous to eat and expose one to illness. Uncooked food often does not provide any special bonuses beyond relieving hunger (though fresh food may). Cooking typically but not always heats food and often combines different types of food to make a new product:cooked or prepared foods.

Please note again that "cooking" is a catch all term for improvement and preparation of food as a broad term. Certain cultures may "prepare" as opposed to "cook" their food (sushi), and other cultures/species may "cook" their food in ways rather alien to humans (goblins may shell insects, etc). Depending upon the food used and product desired, actions taken may involve chopping, cutting, scoring, pureeing, dicing, juicing (making fruit or vegetable juice), mixing, making marinades, stuffing, baking, frying,

Note that there are other skills involved in the supply chain of food creation that are not considered "cooking. These include deboning and other butchery, milling, threshing, brewing, etc. The key difference is whether or not the use of the skill is, in short order, meant to produce a ready to eat product or another commodity (which may later be used in food or another thing).

Producing ready to eat meals and improving food.

Much like many other crafting processes, one combines and alters several ingredients to create something else, something better. [placeholder for mechanics?]. One may follow a recipe or attempt to improvise and make a new recipe. Generally thinking, one choses a base item to serve as food. That item may then have other food items added to it or otherwise altered. A great deal of freedom and flexibility is allowed, but should not be abused.

Example of a master cook:

Green Bell Peppers stuffed with cheese stuffed chicken, maranaded and sauced.

Base Item:
a.) Chicken meat (white meat)

Supplemental items
b.) Marinade and sauce, composed of olive oil, basil, tomato, onions and honey.
c.) Green bell pepper (preparation includes top removal, hollowing, and stuffing the pepper)
d.) Cheese (preparation includes stuffing inside a cut pocket in the chicken pieces).
e.) Wheat bread (sliced and provided to absorb any excess sauce.

The product of cooking/preparing this food would probably involve some infrastructure, effort, and warming. Forgetting any prep reparation our master cook would cut pockets into the chicken in which to stuff the cheese, while composing the marinade/sauce and each of its ingredients. From there (one assumes the bread is already baked but clearly that needed done at one point. The stuffed chicken would require cooking, and the green bell peppers topped and hollowed. Then, the stuffed chicken would be placed into the peppers along with the sauce and bread provided to absorb that sauce.....

If prepared by a master cook, this meal might be rather high quality and could provide a noticeable benefit to success chances. Note preservation, containers, ovens or at least fire may be required as well as a fuel source. Oversimplification, but true

preferences:

Beings have preferences for various things and here they have favorite foods and even favorite recipes. Eating them may give additional happiness and bonuses.

Nutrition:

At some point one benefits from eating healthier foods as opposed to junk food. This is factored in. Junk food bestows temp happiness, and long term problems.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:42:42 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2015, 10:05:34 am »

Foraging and Hunting

Foraging and hunting results both need to answer two things: a.) how long does it take, and b.) what if anything do I find. Both are answered by similar information as in farming, except it is faster, you don't have many of the benefits of farming, and it doesn't produce nearly as much food. Also it's typically more dangerous, because by definition, all sorts of animals and perhaps enemies are foraging for food right along with you.... Though there are exceptions, foraging is not an efficient way to get food or feed a large population.

As a forager example:

Example Forager has found herself in an above ground forest area for demonstration purposes. Being a Proficient in Herbalism/Foraging, and having specifically trained techniques, she may forage without skill penalty and with skill bonus.

Example Forager's foraging chance: (Bad Area)

Species/Racial Considerations:
2 Dwarf (above ground and not accustomed)
Skill considerations:
6 Proficient Herbalism / Forager
5 Applicable techniques

13 Chance For

4: Underbrush needs clearing
4: God damn weeds
Seasonal
Water Factors
2: Fair Weather (Not that with a more advanced program, you could change out variables as the time passed but forget that for now).

14 Chance Against

13/27 = 48.15% For
14/27 = 51.85% Against

See see here, for example purposes Example Forager has chosen or otherwise been forced to forage in a bad area. The underbrush and God damn weeds are crowding out a lot of other potentially useful plants by preventing them from getting light and soil nutrients. That isn't to say you shouldn't forage in this area necessarily, but a less weedy place might be nice. You can still find things here and at worst if everything goes bad you can spend time for essentially a coin flip to produce some kind of something edible. Keep in mind, the numbers probably won't be shown to players, but rather options may be presented something like this, as a simplified example only:

Example Forager is considering foraging, possible locations are [insert qualitative descriptions of the areas based upon what that individual knows of it and allow to chose. Information may be imperfect based upon many factors.

Now the question of time, as determined by the amount of terrain over which Example Forager has to look. Much like Farming, Foraging is done over acres, except far less efficiently, requiring more land to be looked over.

Each foraging check will usually cover 10 acres and take 8 hours. A person could make more foraging checks in a given day (with different land, but unless a skill, technique or other would allow them to, negative effects of exhaustion would set in to say the least.

Moreover, Respawn Rate is huge in Foraging. Odds are the area you foraged yesterday won't have anything new in it over a mere 24 hours. Respawn rates vary by area, but you have to give the area time to grow things.... Again, you can move to a different area to forage there if possible.

The actual skill of foraging involves really examining the area around you and determining what's edible and what is not. This is vitally important, quite literally, as the wrong plant may simply not be edible, or actually poisonous, or diseased, or other bad things.

In the Farming example, the area for each carrot was carefully cultivated and that's entirely absent here. So instead of one plant every 12 inches in a square area, you just take the entire 10 acres and roll for that outright.

Example Forager has dedicated a week (7 days) to foraging, meaning that over 8 hours for 7 days, she has covered 70 square acres looking for edible plants:

13/27 = 48.15% For
14/27 = 51.85% Against

Result
59 (Avg: 59,0)

84 (Avg: 84,0)

68 (Avg: 68,0)

56 (Avg: 56,0)

19 (Avg: 19,0)

73 (Avg: 73,0)

39 (Avg: 39,0)

Surprisingly, this has produced multiple good rolls for Example Forager with only 2 not meeting success (19, and 39). Now the question of how much food or edible material Example Forager managed to forage comes to mind. The question becomes, how much of a success was the roll over the failure point. Here the failure point was 51.85, or 52 for food generation purposes, so our success would be anything in the 48 range and the closer to 100, the greater the amount of food found.

Divide that 48 into quartiles it out.

Example

00-25  52-54   1 Piece of food
26-50  65-76   2 Pieces of food
51-75  77-88   3 Pieces of food
76-100 89-100 4 Pieces of food and possible critical success

So Example Forager produced the following

Day 1: 1 piece of food
Day 2: 3 pieces of food
Day 3: 2 pieces of food
Day 4: 1 piece of food
Day 5: 0
Day 6: 3 pieces of food
Day 7: 0

Total of 10 pieces of food over 7 days and 70 acres. This will keep Example forager alive, but perhaps not exceptionally happy. Somebody might want to either start farming or at least manage this area better.

Keep in mind, this is a foraging example for a wild area without even the slightest maintenance or patrol of it. One could get thin out some of that underbrush and those God Damn Weeds

Example Forager's foraging chance: (Better Area)

Same thing except somebody do something about those God damn weeds and the underbrush:

2: Underbrush needs clearing
Seasonal
Water Factors

You can see this dramatically increases the chances for foraging by thinning the underbrush and killing the weeds (keep in mind this takes time in and of itself but it allows more things to grow.

13/21 = 61.90% For
9/21 = 38.10% Against

Same Roll Results:

Now we have all but one result producing food on the success / failure analysis. We also have a better production: 39 - 100 quartiles 100 - 38 = 62. 62/4 = 15.5

00-25  39-53.5      1 Piece of food
26-50  53.51-69     2 Pieces of food
51-75  70-84.5      3 Pieces of food
76-100 84.51-100  4 Pieces of food and possible critical success (upper reaches)

Day 1: 2 pieces of food
Day 2: 3 pieces of food
Day 3: 2 pieces of food
Day 4: 2 pieces of food
Day 5: 0
Day 6: 3 pieces of food
Day 7: 1 piece of food

Example Forager has produced 13 pieces of food in 7 days over 70 acres without those God damn weeds and with less underbrush.... A better area in this case has led to a 30% increase in production.

The type of food may be determined by local tables listing chances of producing a certain edible item and what that item is.

Keep in mind that foraging has other uses and applications besides basic survival. It can be used in more well tended areas that do not qualify as farms, such as the vast natural underground area preserves of Cold Hold Summit. It can be used to attempt to supplement the menu with plant items that are not farmed with various berries, etc. Moreover, foraging was the original method of gathering food (along with hunting) and the farming seeds of today were once gathered with foraging methods. Finally, certain medicinal plants may (although usually rarely) be found via foraging and may be used in medicine. It should go without saying that foraging can also be used without the infrastructure or long term dedication to land that farming requires (though the benefits of farming production are obvious). 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:59:28 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 12:34:42 pm »

Hunting, (Very similar to fishing as well):

[Reserved

...because this is actually a little complicated and sorta mixes a resource gathering/item producing method with what is inherently combat. You're not gonna run into that in most other areas. You don't have to "attack" or "shoot" the metal you're crafting into things, and even lumberjacking, while involving a tool that is arguably a weapon striking things, doesn't have trees fighting back or actively evading you.

Hunting is, perhaps one of the numerically most difficult issues, and that makes sense/you want it that way. God forbid something hunts ... you. You don't want to be the subject of some rather one sided role where your actions aren't taken into account and you don't have a chance to input your own possibilities and influences. Right? Same goes for all really.]

Butchery:

Butchery is the second step on the hunting and herding food production supply chain. Butchery can be broken down at its overly simplest level to determining the following:

1.) What are the maximum amount of
a.) edible products (meat, some organs dealt with separately, etc)
b.) craft-able products (bone, pelts, and other)
c.) Inherent waste, complications from kill, etc

a.) Edible meat is usually a function of age/maturity of the animal and an abstraction of its diet (the deer in the plentiful grasslands has more meat than the one caught in the dessert or the drought). Organs are a function of biology, and while this may vary with the animal being butchered, it is bound by biology. That said, some animals are larger than others. You could eat say, a cow liver, but a grand wild griffon's liver is far larger and thus may provide more units of "liver," although said griffon only had one liver. The size is thus taken into account this way. The same system is abstracted to "meat" which is typically taken to mean muscle tissue of the animal.

b.) Bones can sometimes be crafted into things, as can pelts, and in some cases sinews (violin strings were made of cat gut for quite some time).

c.) Inherent waste, complications from kill are limiting factors that, right off the bat, reduce the amount even possible for you to butcher out of the animal. This is largely dependent upon two things. First, the age and preservation of the kill. At some point, most everything rots. The sooner you butcher the better (to say nothing of disease dangers from bad meat etc). Second, cause of death and wound status.

As any hunter may know, how you kill your prey matters. In modern terms, you don't want to blow away a deer to kill it, because you want the meat, pelt and perhaps trophy parts if you're into that stuff (I never saw the appeal of mounted deer heads but some do). Many who do not hunt may not realize that many deer are simply wounded at first and run off. The hunter must then stalk the prey down, following and tracking the blood and hoof prints. The animal will often either die of blood loss or exhaustion will let the hunter end things quickly and cleanly to get the most amount of meat for venison. (Note: you don't want the animal to suffer necessarily, but if you're doing it legit a perfect shot may not be possible and sometimes the animal gets away / giving it a fighting chance to evade you).

Thus, for butchery purposes, the hunted or herded animal is effectively slaughtered somehow. If done effectively, a minimal amount of damage is done to the animal with the intent of killing it to harvest meat. In practical terms this means a hammer is a terrible hunting weapon for butchery purposes because it destroys a large amount of otherwise harvestable meat (and may crush otherwise craftable bone).

Butchery, like farming, will roll for "crop failure," figuring out the max you get and trying to get as close to that as possible.

E.) Advanced Butchery Techniques
i.) Anatomical meat knowledge: Knows tasty anatomy of several different animals.
ii.) Prime cuts: Knowledge of a great many butchering techniques to yield better cuts of meat and well butchered organs. Reduces fat in meat products

[to be edited]

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:56:54 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 07:18:45 pm »

Progress Report Feb 28, 2015.

1.) Correspondence, reorganization and links.
2.) Skill mechanics updates
3.) History and background information updates
4.) Sprites and Mapping

1.) Correspondence, reorganization and links.

Well. I've been effectively answering questions and comments and providing feedback on this. As stated before a reorganization is planned but implimenting it would take time away from content generation/recording. I'm also playing around with linking things. Special thanks to Arx for trying to teach me that.

2.) Skill Mechanics updates

I think you'll agree there has been a lot of progress here with the updates and even several of the crunchy number bits thrown in and demonstrated in great detail. I've shown the "under the hood" mechanics of it complete with random skill rolls and illustrated it. Hunting will be a pain to update because it is one of the most difficult to relay concepts as it involves combat and item generation as well as planning (bait/traps) and stealth, as well as momentum (stalking) with tracking. It is complicated to make things as fair as possible. Herding is not as bad, because presumably you're just straight out slaughtering some tame animal for butchery.

3.) History and background information updates.

Ongoing, but slow because of graphical and planing restraints. These will be solved by mapping and mapping is held up by my not being satisfied with the textures and sprites I have. Speaking of which....

4.) Sprites and Mapping.

This has always been a bottleneck and always will be. I am continuing to expand my pallet of available items and textures. I've had some productions, but they aren't up to my standards and /or have some glaring problems.

Just like the rest of this game, I'm not just trying to vomit out content for the sake of it: fetch quests, level grinds, respawning enemies in camps that can't support their food or shelter needs, and basically just running chunks of xp.... The maps are the graphical and spacial representation of this and sure, I could just pick some tileset or something and spit out a map with some elevations even and call it a day, but that's not what I'm going for. This is why all that game philosophy I've posted (and more) is so important, and why this takes so long.

Also, it isn't about "creating a site for X adventure path." It's about creating several sites, hopefully with several subsets and sub purposes. Sadly many games have a "one and done" approach to mapping. "This is where the ABC thing is." After you do the quest or whatever for the ABC thing, that's it. It becomes boring and the dungeon or whatever is either cleared out and useless or everything re-spawns and it's boring and/or no longer a challenge because you've done it and leveled beyond it.

Wait a minute, isn't the "one and done" approach kinda nuts? You're in a world with several varying populations of "monsters" or all sorts of other things. Even if you wipe out what an entire dungeon or structure or area (which should be a much bigger deal than it is presented as) the world isn't a vacuum. If nothing else new squatters will come in, or somebody else will claim it, or something. Some cult or group of whatever is going to see some free living space they don't have to bother to construct that may even have a viable food and water source they don't have to worry about. Of course they're going to live their instead of just randomly wandering around or expending the time and energy to build something from scratch in many cases. This is difficult if not impossible in the "one and done," mapping approach.

Practically speaking, Knighty McKnight over here has deployed his forces to destroy or cause to flee every goblin in a local mountainous region. It was a well thought out, and fairly long campaign focusing on slowly whittling down the goblin numbers while losing few if any men. Knighty McKnight focused on strategically denying the goblins unhindered access to their food sources and hunting grounds by forcing engagements when advantageous to him. After a careful and fairly long campaign, Knighty McKnight was victorious and every goblin in the local mountain region was dispatched via either death (estimated 200) or withdrawal (estimated 275).

Well now that the area is free of goblins, now what? Does the area become a useless memory? Does Knighty McKnight install fortifications and turn it into a well patrolled border lands, keeping in mind that the underground goblin warrens are still dangerous places for humans to tread? All of the original inhabitants aren't dead, and that's presumably not the only group of goblins in the world or even the area. Does word spread to other goblin clans and nations that prime real estate suited to goblins has opened up to whoever can kill some stupid knight? Were the goblins actually holding back some animal threat (perhaps from underground) that is now moving in and multiplying without anything to keep its population in check? What happens to all those goblin bodies and whatever they were eating, something might find that tasty and move in to cause a problem. Point being, you can and probably should reuse these maps and they need to be tailored for that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:20:25 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »

More Trees and Art Stuff.

Well hello again, welcome. As you may know I'm nuts about trees and have devoted perhaps too much time to them. Well here's some more. :D

Ladies and Gentlemen and the rest of you who managed to sneak in here: I give you, the basis for a whole bunch of wonderful tree things:

Ta Da!

[Crickets, someone in the back whispers that Truean has lost it....]

What? No, you guys I swear this is .... Why are those people leaving? Wait. Look, ok, by itself maybe not, but look at what a tree is, right? You've got that whole trunk thing and all the branches and then a TON of leaves and they're everywhere. You put enough of them together and you can stretch and skew the image and use base frames to do texture dips as shown here. And you can make it lighter or darker to do makeshift shadowing and and and.... I should just show you:

Ok so that looks like a plant so far and not as much of a tree, but progress right? Ok, we'll skip the texture dipping, cause we lost people with that leaf posting. Wow, for somebody made up of trillions and trillions of little cells, some people don't appreciate the building blocks and replication with placement.... Hey you guys I know what we need. Branches:

You know how we made that arrangement with the leaves? Same idea with the branches for a tree frame:

And that can get even more complicated cause then you can stack a bunch of branches on stuff and then put a bunch of leaves on that like they're growing on the branches. You can play around with the light and shadow stuff like this sorta:

The pros among you will notice how the light source is coming from allllllll over and some leaves are shadowy and other leaves aren't. If the sun is from the left then why does the right side have light like it does. I don't care. There's some orange in there too, cause tooooo much greeeeen. Because leaves you guys leeeaves :D, and I swear I'm ok for real and .... Yeah, bed sounds good huh? [blush] But trees, right? :D

Please don't quote me.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 12:58:47 pm »

That is one of the best trees I have ever seen :o

Genuinely. If all the art is up to that standard...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 01:19:47 pm »

That. Is. Amazing.

This is shaping up to be a fantastic game. It's unbelievable how much work you've put into it.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 02:47:49 pm »

That is one of the best trees I have ever seen :o

Genuinely. If all the art is up to that standard...

Pretty close to what this looks like:
http://ak6.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/4945277/preview/stock-footage-aerial-helicopter-view-of-mountain-forest-and-trees.jpg
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:22 pm »

Looks great.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6