Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Megabeast, Semi-Megabeast and Dangerous Animal ideas  (Read 7175 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Megabeast, Semi-Megabeast and Dangerous Animal ideas
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:53:44 am »

We all have quite the imagination, and most of us probably want more variety in our above-ground invaders.
So just lay out your ideas for Semi and normal megabeasts in this thread.

We have giant dingoes, and giant tigers, but not any giant wolves?

Maybe we can have a new Semi-Megabeast called a Great Wolf that has lairs similar to problematic animals, and invades fortresses upon gathering wealth. It'd be an exotic mount and hunting and war trainable, but it'd be trap avoid, just so the many cage traps that most forts have lying around can't just end the fight instantly. So some dwarven engineering would be needed in order to capture one of these.
Yes, I was thinking about the Great Grey Wolf Sif while writing this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:06:20 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast and Semi-Megabeast ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »

I like the idea of a phoenix. Not as big as the Roc, but immolate, fire breathing, six winged (just for fun), fireimmune_super, and angry. It's caves would be restricted to mountains, if possible. When it dies, it drops one phoenix egg, and a bunch of rubies, maybe a star ruby. (I red a book where a killed phoenix dropped rubies to try and hide it's egg. It'd be an interesting, and rewarding, deviation from the standard myth.) If caught, it'd probably be the best animal to sell to the elves, or maybe release in a sealed cavern.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 03:24:02 pm »

I like the idea of a phoenix. Not as big as the Roc, but immolate, fire breathing, six winged (just for fun), fireimmune_super, and angry. It's caves would be restricted to mountains, if possible. When it dies, it drops one phoenix egg, and a bunch of rubies, maybe a star ruby. (I red a book where a killed phoenix dropped rubies to try and hide it's egg. It'd be an interesting, and rewarding, deviation from the standard myth.) If caught, it'd probably be the best animal to sell to the elves, or maybe release in a sealed cavern.
Those six wings would make it look less like a bird, and more like a butterfly.

Also, if Toady doesn't implement any of these, would anyone be willing to make a mod that just adds several megabeasts and semi-megabeasts from this thread?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

Without a third party tool, you can't make new megabeasts or semi-megabeasts.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:49:54 pm »

Wrong. It is more than possible to make new mega and semi-megabeasts with raw modding. You're probably thinking of titans and forgotten beasts.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »

Oh. Thought you couldn't define megabeast. Well then, I'll be making a couple new megabeasts. Just need to get the brain juices flowing, and there'll be a ton of ideas. Been meaning to get back into modding, right now is a great time to do that. First project: phoenix, then giant wolf, as suggested, then some other stuff. Can I make a dead creature drop another creature, but living? Like slimes in Minecraft style.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »

I already got OP covered on their Great Wolf  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that I just whipped this out considering how easy it was. There are probably some extra stuff/tweaks you can do, but the base is there at least. Also note that [SEMIMEGABEAST] is going to cancel out [MOUNT_EXOTIC] AFAIK.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:25:34 pm by Witty »
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »

I always toss in something original to all my creatures. Relevant example: a phoenix with six wings. When I did a cerberus creature, I gave it horns on each head. My draconians had the ability to stand on their tails. I'm thinking of giving the great wolf a grasping tail, or iron claws and teeth.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:30:18 pm by StagnantSoul »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 07:00:23 pm »

Note that I just whipped this out considering how easy it was. There are probably some extra stuff/tweaks you can do, but the base is there at least. Also note that [SEMIMEGABEAST] is going to cancel out [MOUNT_EXOTIC] AFAIK.
I love you. I also have two questions about it, though. Did you just copy over the wolf raws and increase several values? Also, what exactly does the [MEANDERER] tag do for animals?
Meow.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 07:06:23 pm »

I love you. I also have two questions about it, though. Did you just copy over the wolf raws and increase several values? Also, what exactly does the [MEANDERER] tag do for animals?

I made the wolf's adult size about as big as a rhino, and added in all the other tags you requested (Semi-Megabeast, makes a lair, trainable, etc.).

Meanderer gives a creature random movement. You can find all the creature tokens and their properties here

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »

Only the size of a rhino? I was hoping to have these grappling with ogres.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:14:20 pm »

You can easily make it bigger

Just take [BODY_SIZE:2:0:3000000] and change the last value to a size you prefer more. This value will effect the adult size, while the other two BODY_SIZE tags effect the infant and children sizes.

I like using this page as a reference table for creature sizes, personally.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:05:46 pm by Witty »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 07:22:05 pm »

A bit of a silly idea: An FB-sized toad with a tongue made of steel that's able to be used as a hammer/grasper.

I'm having trouble thinking of a suitable name, though. "Spawn of Armok" "The Great Toady" "The First Toad" "Servant of Armok" They all sound so good to me!
Meow.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 07:25:36 pm »

Almost done my phoenix. Just wondering: can I make it drop multiple gems on death? I've got it dropping one star ruby, but I'd like it to drop multiple star rubies, lots of rubies, and maybe a new gem I'll be making.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 07:41:50 pm »

Almost done my phoenix. Just wondering: can I make it drop multiple gems on death? I've got it dropping one star ruby, but I'd like it to drop multiple star rubies, lots of rubies, and maybe a new gem I'll be making.
Is it butcherable? Maybe you can turn the claws into rubies and get them like that, and have them act like gizzard stones. Also, would you care to post the RAWs for the phoenix when it's finished?
Meow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5