Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29172 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:08 am »

I wonder if the other two major religions (Hinduism and Buhddism) ever had 'conversions by the sword' at some point'?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:35 am »

HEY!
knock it off

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE ELSE, TAKE IT TO ANOTHER THREAD OR LEAVE IT AT THE DOOR

There's no need for us to shout, here. Perhaps you should take a break from the thread for a while?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:25 am »

I wonder if the other two major religions (Hinduism and Buhddism) ever had 'conversions by the sword' at some point'?
Yup.

E: Honestly, all the major religions and a host of the minor ones have had periods where they and their spread were propped up by pretty nasty material support. Whether it's the religion hijacking the state or the state hijacking the religion (or both) is debatable, but the influence of force on the spread of religious belief is pretty close to ubiquitous.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:17:50 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:38 am »

HEY!
knock it off

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE ELSE, TAKE IT TO ANOTHER THREAD OR LEAVE IT AT THE DOOR

There's no need for us to shout, here. Perhaps you should take a break from the thread for a while?

I was trying to stop a fight
they had crap from outside the thread and I don't want any of it
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:23 am »

This might be of interest: a rebuke of ISIS by leading Islamic scholars (Including people with name as impressive as "Sultan of Sokoto" and "Grand Mufti of Egypt", "Grand Cheikh of the Sufi Tarifah", and a whole bunch of academics and scholars)

5- It is forbidden in Islam to ignore the reality of contemporary times when deriving legal rulings.
6- It is forbidden in Islam to kill the innocent.
7- It is forbidden in Islam to kill emissaries, ambassadors, and diplomats; hence it is forbidden to
kill journalists and aid workers.

Sergarr:This post.

10- It is forbidden in Islam to harm or mistreat—in any way—Christians or any ‘People of the
Scripture’.

I've just read through this and some of the insights are pretty revealing for me... It's quite lengthy and Islamic scholars can be very long winded, but it's a good read.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:27 am »

Also, I'm curious, since Hinduism and Buhddism both have scriptures of their own, would the abrahamic religions consider them 'people of the scripture too'? I realize that the term refers to the abrahamic scriptures as a whole, but if you remove the 'book' part of it and just go by religious writing, would that include those two other major religions?

Though maybe Buhddism would be a bit iffy because it's kind of more along the lines of philosophy, but then again, you could claim Jesus's teachings to be philosophy as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:18:12 am by smjjames »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:06 am »

You mean between them? or by external religions?

Yup.

E: Honestly, all the major religions and a host of the minor ones have had periods where they and their spread were propped up by pretty nasty material support. Whether it's the religion hijacking the state or the state hijacking the religion (or both) is debatable, but the influence of force on the spread of religious belief is pretty close to ubiquitous.

Citation?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:50 am »

Eh... historically not, but theologically you can pretty easily fit either of them into an abrahamic framework. Buddhism doesn't really give a shit about the metaphysical (The buddha pretty specifically said that stuff doesn't matter, when it comes to his teachings), in most of its manifestations, so you have things like buddhist christians and whatnot with very little conflict. Similarly, hindu's whole brah-whatever can pretty easily latch on to YWHW/Streaker J/Allah as either an expy or manifestation.

Of course, the reaction from the abrahamic side of the equation tends to be somewhat more volatile and vitriolic. They... don't play well with others, doctrinally.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:16 am »

You mean between them? or by external religions?

Yup.

Citation?

I meant if they had ever done 'conversions by the sword', bad wording on my part.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2014, 11:27:53 am »

Also, I'm curious, since Hinduism and Buhddism both have scriptures of their own, would the abrahamic religions consider them 'people of the scripture too'? I realize that the term refers to the abrahamic scriptures as a whole, but if you remove the 'book' part of it and just go by religious writing, would that include those two other major religions?

Though maybe Buhddism would be a bit iffy because it's kind of more along the lines of philosophy, but then again, you could claim Jesus's teachings to be philosophy as well.

People of the scripture is a rather direct reference to Jews in most cases. But usually the references are just to the other Abrahamic religions directly. The other references you'll find are typically disparaging stuff like 'Do not have multiple gods [Implied: YKNO LIKE SOME PEOPLE DO]' 'You are prescribed one life [Implied: UNLIKE WHAT SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE ~ HO HO HO]' which may or may not be a reference to the eastern religions, but I don't think there was many people crossing the Kush around the time when holy literature was written.

Correction, I now remember there is one less than ambiguous bit:
I will utter My judgments Against them concerning all their wickedness, because they have forsaken Me, burned incense to other gods, and worshiped the works of their own hands. (Jeremiah 1:16)

Incense is used in the eastern religions rather exclusively for religious purposes back then and can be considered a direct reference to the Indian gods. Or Zoroastrians. It's a bit hard to differentiate when they get so angry and vengeful in verses.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:32:58 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 11:37:24 am »

... statement was made like that because there's a brahma, a brahman, a brahmin, and... I think some other ones. Hinduism is very brah. And I've forgotten which mean what and am too tired to go check.
Ask not!
Ask!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »

People of the scripture is a rather direct reference to Jews in most cases. But usually the references are just to the other Abrahamic religions directly. The other references you'll find are typically disparaging stuff like 'Do not have multiple gods [Implied: YKNO LIKE SOME PEOPLE DO]' 'You are prescribed one life [Implied: UNLIKE WHAT SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE ~ HO HO HO]' which may or may not be a reference to the eastern religions, but I don't think there was many people crossing the Kush around the time when holy literature was written.

Correction, I now remember there is one less than ambiguous bit:
I will utter My judgments Against them concerning all their wickedness, because they have forsaken Me, burned incense to other gods, and worshiped the works of their own hands. (Jeremiah 1:16)

Incense is used in the eastern religions rather exclusively for religious purposes back then and can be considered a direct reference to the Indian gods. Or Zoroastrians. It's a bit hard to differentiate when they get so angry and vengeful in verses.

It was also used in Judaism and other local religions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2014, 12:40:12 pm »

Hinduism and Buddhism are explicitly non-proselytizing religions, like Judaism, but of course doctrine has never stopped people with their own interpretation of it who want to spread their way of life, sometimes through any means at their disposal. Yes, there are even violent Buddhist extremist groups. Violence tends to happen when large groups of X people begin migrating to historically Y area, unfortunately.

Interestingly, at least today, no matter the religion, most of the leaders of a religion tend to condemn the violent sects for betraying the teachings.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »

IIRC the Muslim Mughal Emperors of India made Hindus (the majority of their subjects) "people of the book" by decree, so they could tax them.
That's a local exception though I think.

Hinduism and Buddhism are explicitly non-proselytizing religions, like Judaism, but of course doctrine has never stopped people with their own interpretation of it who want to spread their way of life, sometimes through any means at their disposal. Yes, there are even violent Buddhist extremist groups. Violence tends to happen when large groups of X people begin migrating to historically Y area, unfortunately.
Pretty much this. Buddhism declined in India, due to a revival of Hinduism, but that was a peaceful transition, not like the Islamic conquests in the area.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26