Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29231 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2014, 05:34:35 pm »

Where are the mass muslim protests against ISIS?

Here is a small selection of stories.

This might cause cognitive conflict in you, BP. Or maybe not, depending on how deep your preclusions go.

That's not a mass protest. there were less than 50 people there. nothing like the riots when someone made a caricature of muhammad, or the anti-jews protests in europe.

BP, there were like 6 separate links there, from hundreds a simple googling threw back at me from all over the EU, north Africa and the US. I notice you missed link about the 20,000 Muslims who marched in Germany - that is comparable to the number of people who show up to any major protest in the EU about nearly anything. Or the link to the "hundreds" who marched in Paris. Or link to the article that discusses how FOX news is not reporting on the significant number of American Muslims protesing up and down the US. Or the link to the article that discusses a group of Moroccans developing a large following on YouTube for speaking out against ISIS - a process being repeated by British Muslims, also reported in the same article. Nor the link form a local news station in Oklahoma, again showing how Muslims in the US are voicing their opposition. Or the hundreds of Muslim protestors who had a protest outside the Saudi embassy in London. You go ahead and ignore those links just like you are apparently ignoring the fact that a majority of Muslims in the west are actually speaking out against ISIS. Single in on the example I posted that almost conforms to your preclusions - in any case, 50 Kurds organising a protest at an London airport that closes a terminal is still a big deal - considering the level of security present there.
This is a blank sig.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »

History suggests it is a phase all religions go through - kind of a rebellious teenage angry phase involving kicking and screaming before a calm maturity which understands such things are not good for the long term settles.

At least all western religion. Judaism went through it in ancient times, and Christianity went through it in the middle ages

It was kind of a proccess, through the Spanish Inquisition and the reformation, and all the witchhunt stuff.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39:51 pm »

Spoiler: Wall o' Hate (click to show/hide)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2014, 10:48:31 pm »

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2014, 11:09:17 pm »

Checking in on the thread

Nothing bad going on that I'm missing is there?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2014, 11:18:52 pm »

Well. From what I'm getting, BP is trying to say we should out right abolish Muslim worship.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2014, 11:34:58 pm »

What?!?
That would be like saying you should outright abolish Jewish worship or Christian worship or [insert religion] worship

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2014, 11:46:36 pm »

No, he said that we should just abolish ALL religion, but ESPECIALLY Islan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2014, 11:49:04 pm »

Well I feel like that isn't appropriate to this thread seeming as it's an Abrahamic religion discussion and not an anti religion discussion

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2014, 11:54:44 pm »

I was just clarifying on what BP was saying.

It meandered a bit on something about Judaism and then BP steered it right back onto Islam.

I have no problem discussing anything related to judaism, controversial or not because i am not religious. the sad thing is, though, that it seems there is a real problem when starting to speak about islam controversial issues. suddenly every critic becomes a racist/bigot/islamophobe.

So, yeah, pick a controversial judaism topic and lets discuss it. abortions is not one of them, btw, since there was never a law forbidding it and most jews now days (more than 90% i'd say) are in favour of it.

Ah yeah, I was initially going to say Christianity and abortion, but we all know how volatile discussions can get about that, so I changed it to Judaism, and not knowing what controversies judaism has that aren't political....

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:29 am »

Christianity thread had a discussion on abortion
Didn't go too bad

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2014, 12:12:49 am »

It did!? I missed it! Darn. And I bought all this petrol, too.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2014, 01:38:53 am »

Spoiler: Wall o' Hate (click to show/hide)

Well, we agree on one thing (Actually, Two, i also agree about christianity contribution to anti-semitism). its not a phase in islam. it was always here, sometimes below surface, sometimes as apparent as always but hidden from the western masses because the media was not as far reaching as it is now.

And of course it has to do with religion itself, like it had been for a thousand years, its just that lately, decades of years or so, the issues had different side causes that made people think religion has had nothing to do with it, but it was always there below the surface.

Lets take that claim of yours of the creation of israel as an "excuse". obviously, its an interesting opinion that disregard one very important factor: The creation of israel was only opposed by the arab countries because israelis were jews. if they had been muslims, there wouldn't be a problem at all, as evidently, no arab country attacked jordan in 1948. of course, there would be small territorial disputes here and there, but the independence war, six days war and yom kipur wars? only the result of religion, not an excuse for other motives or sentiments, a definite reason.

And obviously you should judge christianity first and foremost on the New testament and the bible, just like Islam should be judged on the Quran. i mean, we could judge islam by bahai texts, but that wouldn't be very telling.

a fictional nation.

u wot m8?

Call the drama police and arrest this man. Amalek has no mention in any other source but the bible, as opposed to many other nations that are mentioned in the bible and has other sources that also mention them.

Where are the mass muslim protests against ISIS?

Here is a small selection of stories.

This might cause cognitive conflict in you, BP. Or maybe not, depending on how deep your preclusions go.

That's not a mass protest. there were less than 50 people there. nothing like the riots when someone made a caricature of muhammad, or the anti-jews protests in europe.

BP, there were like 6 separate links there, from hundreds a simple googling threw back at me from all over the EU, north Africa and the US. I notice you missed link about the 20,000 Muslims who marched in Germany - that is comparable to the number of people who show up to any major protest in the EU about nearly anything. Or the link to the "hundreds" who marched in Paris. Or link to the article that discusses how FOX news is not reporting on the significant number of American Muslims protesing up and down the US. Or the link to the article that discusses a group of Moroccans developing a large following on YouTube for speaking out against ISIS - a process being repeated by British Muslims, also reported in the same article. Nor the link form a local news station in Oklahoma, again showing how Muslims in the US are voicing their opposition. Or the hundreds of Muslim protestors who had a protest outside the Saudi embassy in London. You go ahead and ignore those links just like you are apparently ignoring the fact that a majority of Muslims in the west are actually speaking out against ISIS. Single in on the example I posted that almost conforms to your preclusions - in any case, 50 Kurds organising a protest at an London airport that closes a terminal is still a big deal - considering the level of security present there.

I missed that 20K march in germany. care to link to it? (The rest are very small)

No, he said that we should just abolish ALL religion, but ESPECIALLY Islan.

Well, we should aspire to it. i don't think we should outright ban any and all religious practice because obviously, that would result in a war between non-religious and religious people, but i do think that we should lawfully forbid religious indoctrination and any religious practice or education prior to the age of 18. its not surprising that 99% of all religious followers have parents that follow the same religion.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:09:07 am by burningpet »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2014, 02:02:32 am »

a fictional nation.
u wot m8?
Call the drama police and arrest this man. Amalek has no mention in any other source but the bible, as opposed to many other nations that are mentioned in the bible and has other sources that also mention them.
Because we all know that the Bible is always wrong! Unless it matches up with these other sources we have, then it's only right because it stole from them.

Now, in all seriousness, I can absolutely agree that (holistically) we shouldn't take the Bible as a 100% reliable historical record.
But is it that hard to imagine the book having at least semi-accurate recounts of events?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:49 am »

@BP- that's all fine and dandy but you might as well just take away a parents rights to raise their children. If you're taking away a parents ability to teach a child their religion you might as well take away their ability to teach them about politics or which brands they prefer or what shows they watch or what music they listen to. If we are taking away just one thing that parents can do with their chdren that affect their views why not take it all away after all sounds like you don't want the kids to learn from their parents and in return hold similar views as them
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 26