Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29114 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2014, 06:39:44 pm »

How do you differentiate between Muhammad and pre-Muhammad teachings? Is there a discernible difference, as in the Old and New testaments?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 11, 2014, 06:43:13 pm »

How do you differentiate between Muhammad and pre-Muhammad teachings? Is there a discernible difference, as in the Old and New testaments?
I honestly don't understand what you're asking, are you asking if there's any difference between Islam and Christianity/Judaism?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 11, 2014, 06:45:03 pm »

Hasn't America been mostly Christian and Europe? Those countries seem to be doing pretty well

Also Muslims aren't just in poor countries, there are plenty in Europe and I'm sure they are fine, you can say,"Muslims are illiterate" since that is more of a location problem

As for Isreal, they have a reason to say everyone is against them. I mean most (if not all) of their neighbors have been constantly attacking them since they became a country.

Starting now, no more extremely anti religion stuff. There are ways to word things so they don't create a lot of offence/size]

Just an off the wall question, if a Muslim were to go into space, like to mars, would they pray towards earth or would they need to calculate exactly what direction Mecca is in at that time, or would they just pray and not worry about that part?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 11, 2014, 06:47:42 pm »

I honestly don't understand what you're asking, are you asking if there's any difference between Islam and Christianity/Judaism?

Em, no...more how the teachings of Muhammad, and the teaching before Muhammad...emmm, coexist? Trying to think of a way to reword it :/ Em, how they are compatible/incompatible?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »

And what about a Muslim on the ISS? Is the prayer long enough that he'd need to turn mid-prayer as the station whizz over Mecca?

Now, more seriously, what the important of Jesus and other non-Mahommed prophets in Islam?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 11, 2014, 06:49:26 pm »

Any response to my question I'll handle tomorrow. Early start, so I'm turning in.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 11, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »

They would have to pray towards earth. The direction doesn't have to be exact, just a general direction would do, for example, Muslims in North Africa pray towards the East, Muslims in Russia pray towards the south, Muslims in Europe would pray towards the South East.

EDIT: I have to go get some sleep, I'll be back tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:53:37 pm by Lt_Alfred »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »

Hasn't America been mostly Christian and Europe? Those countries seem to be doing pretty well
That... that's a painful statement to consider. I mean, sorta'? But the US is well known for its atrocities outside the country and the fairly terrible conditions in certain internal areas, and europe's been a bit of a mess over the years. There's plenty of places that are majority christian (South America and Africa both have a fair number of note, iirc, particularly of a catholic bent) that haven't been doing too hot. The vast, vast (vast) majority of local conditions have their causes coming from entirely non-religious sectors. And most of the remainder are genuinely connected to religious issues only nominally, at best.

People are people. Religious beliefs (unfortunately or fortunately, depending on who you ask) don't really seem to have much of an overall effect on behavior. Changes the particular manifestations of certain habits, but that's generally about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 11, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »

They would have to pray towards earth. The direction doesn't have to be exact, just a general direction would do, for example, Muslims in North Africa pray towards the East, Muslims in Russia pray towards the south, Muslims in Europe would pray towards the South East.

EDIT: I have to go get some sleep, I'll be back tomorrow.

What if you're on Mars (or anyplace else in the solar system)? Or even further out like some distant colony light years away? At least until a holy site is established I guess.

@cryxis, why the large text suddenly?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:58:46 pm by smjjames »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 11, 2014, 06:58:28 pm »

I think he summed it up you just pray as close as you can get to it

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 11, 2014, 06:58:49 pm »

And what about a Muslim on the ISS? Is the prayer long enough that he'd need to turn mid-prayer as the station whizz over Mecca?
In the same vein: How would sunrise and sunset and thus the prayers' timing be calculated while on the ISS?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2014, 07:14:03 pm »

everything you set out to do must be done with God in mind, you have to offer charity to the poor etc...
Anything you'd like to know in particular?
So, with these two... when you say, "done with God in mind", is there something specific when it comes to that -- like, a checklist of thoughts, particular mindframe, etc. -- or is it a general "manage as well as you can" sort of thing? For charity, is there any specifics when it comes to that? Certain amount, to certain groups, at certain times, etc. Basically, how formalized are those two bits? From what I understand Islam is considerably more explicit about stuff like wartime practices than the other major abrahamic religious, but I'm curious how much (if) that extends to other things.

Also, any words to offer on the hadiths? Which (if any) are particularly important, which you (or, perhaps more interestingly, whichever denomination-equivalent of islam you adhere to) emphasize or discard... that sort of thing.

And denominational stuff in general would be interesting to hear about. I know there tends to be some conflict there (gods know there is with christianity, ha!), but what are your personal interactions with that sort of thing, if you don't mind sharing? Amicable, hostile, etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2014, 07:24:53 pm »

Now, more seriously, what the important of Jesus and other non-Mahommed prophets in Islam?

Muslims totally recognize jesus as another prophet. There's really not reason for them not to. Mohammed simply happens to be more important to them than "streaker J"

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2014, 07:29:33 pm »

Muslims totally recognize jesus as another prophet. There's really not reason for them not to. Mohammed simply happens to be more important to them than "streaker J"
Though I don't think they consider him the son of god but just another prophet
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]