Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29099 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2014, 06:34:17 am »

Ok, this thread cannot survive BP, I vote we close it.
Have you seen the Christian thread?!?
You guys aren't even close to getting this thing locked

Though things do escalate quickly at times so I guess we will see
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2014, 08:10:33 am »

Ok, this thread cannot survive BP, I vote we close it.
On what grounds? a different opinion? the discussion is pretty civil given the subject matter. i vote its more than ok to keep this thread open.
I won't try for another analogy, so i'll just say this:

have you ever seen the family guy skit with the stubborn donkey?

that's basically what you're doing.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2014, 08:26:18 am »

All I can think of is "I rode into a town on an ass" thing, but I doubt that's what you meant :P

Hm, I'd always heard that Muhammad made the messages lean more towards violence than Jesus' messages, for example.

But yea, it's a whole pick and choose thing. I think the bother with Muslim isn't the faith, which doesn't automatically raise blood-seeking murderers, but the cultures in which they are born usually, which tend to be violent in nature. If Christianity were more common in such countries, perhaps it would be more extreme....but then, you also get those British Muslims who now have blood on their hands over seas...so perhaps it is how the Muslim faith is taught, rather than anything else.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2014, 08:30:45 am »

All I can think of is "I rode into a town on an ass" thing, but I doubt that's what you meant :P

Hm, I'd always heard that Muhammad made the messages lean more towards violence than Jesus' messages, for example.

But yea, it's a whole pick and choose thing. I think the bother with Muslim isn't the faith, which doesn't automatically raise blood-seeking murderers, but the cultures in which they are born usually, which tend to be violent in nature. If Christianity were more common in such countries, perhaps it would be more extreme....but then, you also get those British Muslims who now have blood on their hands over seas...so perhaps it is how the Muslim faith is taught, rather than anything else.

I would suggest a combination of the two. In the past, Christianity was embroiled in all sorts of horrible violence, yet Europe in particular has come out the other side of that into peaceful wealthy nations, and religions "native" to those nations reflect this - fairly benign. The middle east however has not gone through that transition - religion there echoes what you see in society, and you have feedback loops going on. It is a modern phenomenon though of that violent rhetoric being an export product, presumably due to our better communication and transport technologies.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:35 am »

And it's not like christian in the middle-east are a particularily nice bunch. Funnily enough, the French version of the wiki article cite "Phalangist with Tsahal complicity" as perpetrator, while the English version do not include the IDF.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2014, 09:45:45 am »

edit: nvm, misread something

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2014, 09:49:23 am »

-snip-

Noticed the edit.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:04 am »

This might be of interest: a rebuke of ISIS by leading Islamic scholars (Including people with name as impressive as "Sultan of Sokoto" and "Grand Mufti of Egypt", "Grand Cheikh of the Sufi Tarifah", and a whole bunch of academics and scholars)

5- It is forbidden in Islam to ignore the reality of contemporary times when deriving legal rulings.
6- It is forbidden in Islam to kill the innocent.
7- It is forbidden in Islam to kill emissaries, ambassadors, and diplomats; hence it is forbidden to
kill journalists and aid workers.

10- It is forbidden in Islam to harm or mistreat—in any way—Christians or any ‘People of the
Scripture’.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2014, 10:22:42 am »

You mean Islam isn't a religion dedicated to violence like certain people with predisposed racist opinions like to state over and over despite them being blatantly wrong and biased? BP; There's a reason I ignored your response. It's because you don't know what you're talking about. I do think you should stop posting if you want to make this into the anti-Islam topic.

I'd love to discus the religions I've read the holy books of and analyze their simlarities and how the divergence begins, but it's a bit hard when you have someone who doesn't know the holy books spouting off how one branch is more violent than the Genocidal sons of David or the RCC. Fun fact, you're all genocidal. The founders weren't advocates of blind hatred. But it's okay, continue with the predisposed opinions influencing your conclusions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:27:03 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2014, 10:24:30 am »

You mean Islam isn't a religion dedicated to violence like certain people with predisposed racist opinions like to state over and over despite them being blatantly wrong and biased?

Its also dedicated to control through fear.

If i am blatantly wrong, prove it. so far, ironically, you only brought quotes that proved me right.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2014, 10:27:57 am »

Lol. Go take it to the other topic you tried to make the anti-islam topic. You're on my ignore list for a reason. I'm done pandering to you.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:51 am »

You could do with being slightly less rude, Mictlan...
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 10:30:42 am »

I don't pander to racists with predisposed opinions who says things like;
Nope. As i have shown and can clearly also be seen in the quran and its adherents actions today and throughout history, the quranic islam is inherently violent.

I've actually read the Holy Books, and he's completely fucking wrong. He's a racist and he shows it when he opens his mouth about Islam. I'm tired of it. He gives Jews a terrible image. If you haven't forgotten, I am also a son of Israel but I'm not genocidal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:32:43 am by Mictlantecuhtli »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2014, 10:34:02 am »

HEY!
knock it off

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE ELSE, TAKE IT TO ANOTHER THREAD OR LEAVE IT AT THE DOOR
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2014, 10:34:41 am »

I don't pander to racists with predisposed opinions who says things like;
Nope. As i have shown and can clearly also be seen in the quran and its adherents actions today and throughout history, the quranic islam is inherently violent.

I did counter that with the fact that historically, christians have been just as violent in fighting in the name of religion. Though the dark ages and the middle ages were a pretty violent time, even without getting religion into it.

HEY!
knock it off

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SOMEONE ELSE, TAKE IT TO ANOTHER THREAD OR LEAVE IT AT THE DOOR

Yeah, getting a bit into flame territory.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26