Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs  (Read 29131 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Abrahamic Religions; Discussion, Cross-reference, and Beliefs
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:46 am »

I'm trying to get the point across that if he has a problem with the other guy that he should leave it at the door and not bring it here
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2014, 10:38:40 am »

Mitcl does need to cool it, yes.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2014, 10:40:57 am »

New topic of discussion: Jews and Christians are the most violent people ever. Prove me wrong. This is what this topic is about, right?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2014, 10:41:34 am »

I did counter that with the fact that historically, christians have been just as violent in fighting in the name of religion. Though the dark ages and the middle ages were a pretty violent time, even without getting religion into it.
Somewhat significantly more violent, actually, iirc. Islam actually has (pretty progressive, honestly) rules of war built into the religion, and adherents did a pretty good job of sticking to them, historically. Christianity... not so much. Or judaism, really, when followers have had the option to get their murder on. In terms of atrocities, everything I can recall points to islam holding the low count compared to the other two. Especially if you discount radical offshoots. You've got extremist heretics giving them a bad name nowadays, but it's a comparatively undeserved one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2014, 10:43:54 am »

Christians themselves have been violent but the religion itself doesn't really support it
sure their excuse was spreading the religion and such but it was for different purposes just using religion as an excuse for it

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2014, 10:44:59 am »

New topic of discussion: Jews and Christians are the most violent people ever. Prove me wrong. This is what this topic is about, right?

No, the mongols were the most violent people ever, end of discussion.

Since this current direction of the topic is starting to go somehwere that we don't want it to, we should deflect it.

No idea what to deflect it to though...... iconography???

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2014, 10:45:42 am »

Why doesn't anyone pay attention to what I posted?

Anyway, Mict, I've been tempted to go on a troll post about how Jews are the most violent people ever just to see how BP react (the internet is full of antisemite crap to use as template) but I though better. If you don't want to talk to BP, just ignore him, don't go on ranting. 

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2014, 10:48:53 am »

Christians themselves have been violent but the religion itself doesn't really support it
sure their excuse was spreading the religion and such but it was for different purposes just using religion as an excuse for it

And, discounting extremist offshoots, Muslim empires did much the same historically. Though their height was several centuries before the colonial age.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:37 am »

@sheb, which one? The one saying to close the thread or the one saying that even today, christians aren't neccesarily a peaceful religion all the time?

A lot of the time, in the past, it's been people using religion as an excuse to be violent, not neccesarily that the religion itself is violent.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2014, 10:52:33 am »

We actually hit on that over in the christian thread, remember? The religion kinda' does, or at least doesn't do much to undermine it. It doesn't particularly speak against killing or atrocity in war and specifically commands proselytizing. And particularly because of the connection to the OT, it's got plenty examples of the righteous going out and doing utterly horrific things in the name of their god. If you wanted to use the religion as a framework to promote violence, especially against the non-believer or other nations, well... it's a pretty decent one for doing so. As history, both past and present, has shown fairly well :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:35 am »

We actually hit on that over in the christian thread, remember? The religion kinda' does, or at least doesn't do much to undermine it. It doesn't particularly speak against killing or atrocity in war and specifically commands proselytizing. And particularly because of the connection to the OT, it's got plenty examples of the righteous going out and doing utterly horrific things in the name of their god. If you wanted to use the religion as a framework to promote violence, especially against the non-believer or other nations, well... it's a pretty decent one for doing so. As history, both past and present, has shown fairly well :-\
Discounting OT since if we are just going with the OT we would be talking about the jewish and not the christian who base themselves more on the teachings of Christ over killing the non believers
also the killing non believers doesn't exactly work anymore to spread religion since you know, people have changed over the past 10,000 years

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:03 am »

Spoiler: Reasoning (click to show/hide)

And, discounting extremist offshoots, Muslim empires did much the same historically. Though their height was several centuries before the colonial age.

Actually, the first caliphate gave special protections to Jews and Christians in its borders. Proselytizing was allowed, obviously, but not forced conversion of Jews and other minorities. It's kind of crazy to think the people who accepted Jews the most before the middle ages were Muslims. This could have been overt populism to get the people of Mesopotamia to be more accepting of the new empire controlling the territory, though.  The later rulers of the Caliphate changed course significantly after the crusader era.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:00:07 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:15 am »

This might be of interest: a rebuke of ISIS by leading Islamic scholars (Including people with name as impressive as "Sultan of Sokoto" and "Grand Mufti of Egypt", "Grand Cheikh of the Sufi Tarifah", and a whole bunch of academics and scholars)

5- It is forbidden in Islam to ignore the reality of contemporary times when deriving legal rulings.
6- It is forbidden in Islam to kill the innocent.
7- It is forbidden in Islam to kill emissaries, ambassadors, and diplomats; hence it is forbidden to
kill journalists and aid workers.

Sergarr:This post.

10- It is forbidden in Islam to harm or mistreat—in any way—Christians or any ‘People of the
Scripture’.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2014, 11:04:06 am »

also the killing non believers doesn't exactly work anymore to spread religion since you know, people have changed over the past 10,000 years
... killing to spread christianity was done in the states... less than two, three hundred years back? Fair amount of that done during the whole native american mess. It's only been really ruddy recent, historically, that that has fell out of favor, and it's still not entirely gone in certain areas, iirc.

People haven't really changed all that much in the last 10k years -- our environment has (and fairly significantly, over the last half millennium or so), but we're still mostly the same sort of jumped up monkey. Christianity's only been around for less than 2k, anyway, and it's certainly had its periods of conversion by the sword...
Ask not!
Ask!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2014, 11:07:53 am »

.-. i was exagerating with the ¨10,000 years¨

and yes it has had its fair bit with that
but up until recently a religious group going out and demolition a city or killing a bunch of people was pretty ok since everbody else was doing it anyways
but nowadays if a few thousand religious folk gathered up and attacked a sinful city, all of them would be held for crimes of one sort or another and the world would look down upon said behavior
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26