Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sculpted Walls  (Read 777 times)

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sculpted Walls
« on: October 26, 2014, 07:54:19 pm »

It would be neat if in addition to smoothing and engraving walls, it was possible to sculpt them.

I searched but didn't find any similar suggestion.

The difference from engraving is that it would be just generic decoration, not a visual representation of history. And the difference with smoothing – well smoothing walls makes climbing them harder, but sculpted walls should be much easier to climb.

The motivation is that i saw this and wanted to be able to pretend that was what my fortress entrance looked like. But with the only facade options being rough, smooth, and engraved, there's not really any way to make something representing that in the game currently.

All it would need is a separate wall modifier "sculpted". The artistic details could be provided by the player's imagination.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpted Walls
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »

That's exactly what an engraving is: a depiction of art or history.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 08:10:23 pm »

Which is just what i don't want in this case?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:16:09 pm »

A generic piece of art is just what they are. Half are history, half are what you're asking for.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »

Did you look at the picture i linked in the OP? It's quite clearly not an engraving.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:33:50 pm by yobbo »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:35:22 pm »

I did. What you're asking for is basically mounting statues on walls.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 08:41:10 pm »

It's also quite clearly not a statue on a wall… are you pulling my chain? Well whatever.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:27 am »

Why do you think they should sculpt the walls rather than engrave them? There could be many reasons they specifically engrave (as in 2D flat image style).

1) Mainly, sculpting removes more material and structurally weakens the wall by comparison. The image you linked is a good foot deep in its sculpting... do that on all 4 sides of a 3'x3' pillar, and your roof might very likely fall down on top of you...

2) In addition to very sound structural reasons not to sculpt walls, dwarves might quite simply not like friezes, as a cultural aesthetic. Hell, *I* don't like friezes. They are awkward -- a 3d sculpture begs to be perceived 3-dimensionally. A freestanding one like dwarves make allows this, but a wall prevents you from doing that. They also limit your depth in the image, because they imply that depth should be actual depth, whereas a 2D image can have any depth, since it's pictorial and unconstrained. *shrug* perhaps they choose not to make them as a matter of preference.

(as for historical descriptions, the game already includes many images with no historical significance, just images of cheese, etc. for their own sake. This is already implemented.)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:55:09 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Jebediah`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:08 pm »

When I saw the title, I thought you meant "carve down a pre-existing 1x1 natural stone wall into a statue".

Which I personally prefer.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:17:19 pm »

I like the above idea, a lot.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:29 pm »

And other stuff. Floodgates, cages, beds, other furniture, doors and hatches, supports, screw pumps (provided other components), statues, possibly some workshops, etc.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?