Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Claims and being a lord  (Read 4235 times)

Viator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Claims and being a lord
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:44:11 am »

I have some questions. Can I in newest version of the game claim towns? If yes I have another question. Can I have more than one town and can I have entire kingdom?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Claims and being a lord
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:18 am »

Yes. You need to go to the seat of power, murder incumbents and claim site. People seem to be strangely apathetic in this version, even military forces. You can even restore ruins into cities like that.

You can claim several, but for each you will create your own organization. I don't know if it affects anything in any way.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:20:32 am »

I have some questions. Can I in newest version of the game claim towns? If yes I have another question. Can I have more than one town and can I have entire kingdom?
You can claim towns and helmets, by making insuraction or just killing other lords. You can lead multiple groups, but only one group is ruling in site, other are "fighting" for it more or less agresive. Remember to have hearthperson in every town and good reputation, or other groups will try to take off you from your seat. But you can force other lords to pay you tribute, without conquering They lands.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 02:59:22 pm »

Does anyone have any ideas on how tribute demands are calculated? I've made some successfully but I'm not sure why they were successful. I've figured out that no amount of torture will force a lord to acquiesce.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:47:58 pm »

Does anyone have any ideas on how tribute demands are calculated? I've made some successfully but I'm not sure why they were successful. I've figured out that no amount of torture will force a lord to acquiesce.
It depends how much he is scared by you.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Fluffernutter

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lawful Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:12:52 pm »

I've been toying with yielding a bit, and it seems like there's no way to force them to do anything unless they're scared. Apparently flinging them into walls and performing a full-nelson isn't scary, so my guess is that it depends on their personality more than anything else. Or maybe I have to beat a lord into submission using one of their hearthpersons. I doubt the success of it though, because I tried the same thing with giant dingoes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »

I've been toying with yielding a bit, and it seems like there's no way to force them to do anything unless they're scared. Apparently flinging them into walls and performing a full-nelson isn't scary, so my guess is that it depends on their personality more than anything else. Or maybe I have to beat a lord into submission using one of their hearthpersons. I doubt the success of it though, because I tried the same thing with giant dingoes.
I had one guy give in without any violence but with others I could mutilate them beyond recognition over the course of days and when all that was left was a stump they still had no interest in paying me tribute.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »

If it's tied to fear, wouldn't killing other characters they care about in their site be more effective than attacking them directly? (Of course, you'd think there'd be non-lethal options, but this is Dwarf Fortress...)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Fluffernutter

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lawful Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »

Does slowly exploding all of their body parts count as non-lethal? I think my adventurer is a bit too jacked from 'knap attacks.' I should toss  more hearthperson guts at him. I made a called shot on him once, so he's also puking.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:35:03 am »

It's basing on rumors, if you killd a lot of fameous things, like night creatures who was bugging helmet, They will be respecting you and They will feel fear.
But you must spread rumors...
Rumors must go to lord, just spread them in his ranks and wait some time, They will spread rummors to lord too.
There is option in talking system, i am not english spreaker so i can remember it completly wrong, but if you will start braging your previous killed enemies (if They will not be a peasants, but night creatures, scary beasts etc), he will feel fear/respect too. Sometimes, he will start fleeing, sometimes he will attack you, so you must kick his ass using non-lethal atacks.

Just beating everything doesn't work, it will increase conflict to no quater, but They fear will be not rising, and world is not react correctly agains too much violence.

But... After new update this can be not longer true, but i am convinced, now there is more fear causing factors, like corpses (but not animals, just sentient creatures like humans/koblds/elfs/dwarfs/goblins). And some beings are overhelmed by They feelings and They stop feeling anything.

PS: If you will bring too much corpses, lords can start tantruming...

Fluffernutter

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lawful Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:52 am »

That explains some things. I always do a bit of rumor spreading, but I think I needed to wait longer for it to take effect. I tend to migrate, so I might be outpacing the rumor-spreading. The one noticeable effect rumors had for me was in criminal towns, in which I repeatedly tell the lord that I killed the bandit captain until they attack me.

kevinfragger2427

• Bay Watcher
  • I SIMP FOR NW_KOHAKU SEMPAIII
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:47:40 pm »

Viator, if you plan to conquer the whole world and create your own empire, I can only wish you the best of luck, because, at least right now, people are basically inevitable robots with no personality whatsoever. The takeover then will be monstrously mundane and repetitive, and if you don't gouge out your eyes before you reach the tenth city milestone, you will have earned the respect out of me, and, I judge, half of the newcomers of 40.14. (the oldies won't be so impressed; they've seen other things)
NW_Kohaku, marry me this instant!!!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:30:02 am »

It's repetitive, but simple. You go into mead hall or castle of fast travel, and murder the flashing purple guy.

Weird how his army just stand there, doing nothing.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 08:45:22 am »

Don't think non-lethal is really necessary, all the military does is spit at you if you kill the lord/lady. I claimed multiple towns and I can vouch for the respect/fear thing. They stopped spitting at me when I told them I killed a vampire, and grew more hostile when I "bragged about my violent past".

smithms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 05:09:19 am »

I've also noticed that when you retire as a lord, you retire to your seat of power.  You may have to claim it again in some instances.  Additionally, if you're lord of multiple locations, you lose your lordship when you retire and you always seem to end up retired to the first location that you claimed.

Funny story, I wiped out a necromancer tower -- no zombies just full of goblins and a single elf necromancer.  When I emerged from retirement, I started on top of the tower which was filled with zombies.  I don't know if someone else claimed it or the magical power of the slab reanimated the corpses or if it's something my character did in his spare time.